Trans-Ohio Trail planning thread

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by dox, Dec 7, 2011.

1. ArmyJoe

ArmyJoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    For now, I don't see a problem with that. We shouldn't turn away anyone that can contribute, but eventually we'll need to create GPS tracks.

My job has long periods of boredom, separated by moments of panic. I like cartography and tinkering in MapSource, so if someone wants to post Google Map routes, I have the time to convert them.
  2. Gonzo_Matt

Gonzo_Matt Random Hero

Oddometer:
    I just use google maps. One of us can create a google account just for this project, and give the password out via PM so some just random person reading this doesn't screw it up. You can draw route in google maps, snap to roads, and the whole thing saves as a KML, I do that and then convert it to a GPX using GPS Visualizer.

For the planning phases, it would be a good way for everyone in various areas of the state to contribute their roads, and would give reference for drawing a couple of trans or intra ohio routes.
  3. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow... apparently I've got some Google Maps learning to do. You do this drawing/points/snap-to-road stuff in maps.google.com itself? Or is there an outside website/program that simply uses google maps for the mapping?
  4. sion

sion sigh-own

Oddometer:
    we may want to do a separate google map for each county...I've found with my own route making with the snap to road line maker, that it will only take so many waypoints before it starts messing up...around 50 I think

I think you can get away with a lot more placemarkers though...if you just put one at each end of the road, should be ok
  5. Gonzo_Matt

Gonzo_Matt Random Hero

Oddometer:
    It's actually on google maps. Sign in with a google account, click on create map, then edit. A tool bar comes up the lets you draw routes, snap to roads, and drop all manner of pushpins. the map can be downloaded as a KML. THe other nice thing is that it's super easy to switch between the map, earth and street view.

That or it is possible to create as many maps as you want, and then open several at a time. I'm not sure if it is possible to merge multiple maps.
  6. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Goddammit, I've used google maps about daily for years.... and have never known I'd be able to do this by logging in. :baldy

Well, I've gone and done it now and made my first map. First thought is, this is freaking awesome... second is... but why does it have to be a royal pain in the ass??? It really doesn't like switching between 'follow roads' and 'straight line', which is necessary when a road doesn't exist in google maps. Then at one point I mistakenly clicked 'snap to roads' and it fucked up all my straight lines where google doesn't think there is a road. Plus I had to save and restart it half a dozen times because it'd go all goofy. In any case... eventually it did what I wanted, and it's great for a free app.

One last question before I quit hijacking this thread... It lets me choose between "Unlisted" or "Public - Shared with everyone. This map will be published in search results and user profiles." with my maps... So, if I want to find other peoples saved public maps... how/where do I search to get them to show up? EDIT: it looks like they don't allow you to search user created maps anymore.

Seriously, thanks for showing me this!
  7. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. Gonzo_Matt

Gonzo_Matt Random Hero

Oddometer:
    Slow day at work Mike?

Any other ideas for how to collaborate everyone's "know em like the back of my hand" roads?
  9. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Always slow on Saturdays it seems. :norton

Google probably is the best bet; anyone can gain access and edit it. Perhaps create an ADV Ohio account, then create user maps for each county (in topographically interesting counties at least). Use lines over the good roads, and placemarks with notes for need-to-know info, such as:

• Fucking insane hill climb
    • Trail starts behind long rock wall with a big oak tree at the north end
    • Methlab located here. Dudes have big guns. Product is not bad, priced fair.
    • Stop here for pie
    When it comes time to make long routes we'll want bigger sections than counties, but to start the process, I think the smaller the parts the better.
  10. mgorman

mgorman Crashing since 1964

Oddometer:
    Where were you kids when we started this last year? The interest died so I've just been logging points.
  11. Gonzo_Matt

Gonzo_Matt Random Hero

Oddometer:
    I'm all in to help in the new year. I'm close to finishing the house addition and have hired help with the business so I will have riding time.
  12. mgorman

Oddometer:
    One friend moved and one is down with an injury so I'll probably do more exploring this year than trail riding, especially of I don't buy into Crow's new club.
  13. ruppster

ruppster Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. mgorman

Oddometer:
    Mapmyride.com has a similar feature. Designed for mapping bicycles and has a share feature similar to Facebook friends.

Bikeroutetoaster.com will create cue sheets and certain file types uploads to some Garmins.
  15. ruppster

ruppster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've used map my ride a lot for cycling routes. I have some of these roads in Mapsource as well. I'm also an ESRI user, so that could be another option. After doing that adv/gravel road enduro I've been kind of playing around with some roll charts as well.
    Did that link work for you mgorman?
  16. Gonzo_Matt

Gonzo_Matt Random Hero

Oddometer:
  17. ArmyJoe

ArmyJoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is my first attempt at logging routes and placemarks with Google Maps. Can someone click this and tell me if it comes up?

<LINK deleted>
    (link deleted)

You should see two routes and four waypoints.

ETA: Exported the KML file from Google maps, used htp://www.gpsvisualizer.com to convert it to GPX, and then opened it in Garmin MapSource. Here's the result:

[​IMG]<FILE error, stand by>
  18. ruppster

ruppster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can see the map just fine ArmyJoe. I've rode those roads on a bicycle with the Athens Bike (Pete & co.) folks.
  19. Gonzo_Matt

Gonzo_Matt Random Hero

Oddometer:
    For whatever reason, I have had issues loading KML converted files into my Dakota 10 off of mapsource. I think the problem is that I am GPS stupid.

The other option is to use Dual Sport Maps, or OSM. I have played with both, but not as much as google.
  20. ScienceOfDirt

ScienceOfDirt U-Boat Rider

Oddometer:
    I new about the marking of points on your own google maps, but I've never tried to create one. Does anyone know how to just mark roads by type. I've got a lot of points in my Garmin that mark gravel roads, and it would be nice to get it into a google map to share. I'm going to start messing with the public one I created, but I got a lot of holiday/year end stuff to finish first. There has to be someting/some way better than Mapsource.