Trans-Ohio Trail planning thread

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by dox, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Gonzo_Matt

Gonzo_Matt Random Hero

Oddometer:
    I don't know of anyway that google differentiates between road types. Garmin has the advantage there and on abandoned roads..
  2. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Google's very conservative as far as what it calls roads too. I know the majority of the abandoned roads don't show up there... so even if you could make it show you only dirt/gravel, it'll be missing tons of often the best ones.

Question for the masses...

Are we willingly about to make all of our favorite dirt roads and trails publicly available? I mean, if this thread gets off the ground, anyone with a 4-wheeler/jeep/truck/anything, searching Google for Ohio Off-Roading, or Ohio Dirt Roads, or Ohio Trails, is going to find it and all of our included favorite stuff... are we all alright with that? If it becomes a viable resource for us, chances are great it'll be found and shared throughout other forums and groups.

I have no preference (public, or somehow safeguarded), but I want what others think.
  3. mgorman

mgorman Crashing since 1964

Oddometer:
    I kind of agree with Mike. I have found roads similar to Stone Quarry and for fear of them becoming an off-road highway, I've been afraid to publish them being they pretty much dump into someones side yards.

I hate to see people work hard on something then have someone else ruin it for them. I'm not saying it would happen but,
    I think that's what happened down around Tar Hollow on a few of the roads.

However, open public roads are just that open to the public and are generally accepted that anything could roll down them at any given time. It's the abandoned, closed or unmaintained roads that I'd hate to see get closed.
  4. Gonzo_Matt

Gonzo_Matt Random Hero

Oddometer:
    That was my thinking with only giving he people we know access to the maps. Everybody and their brother knows about Quarry and Bats Nest, but there is a lot of renegade and quasi legal stuff that I would prefer not to advertise and ruin for the rest of us..i like the current policy of learning about the stuff by going on rides led by the guys who know it already or discovering it on your own. I don't want to be a dick, but we all pretty much know each other and if someone wants to ride the good stuff, they need to be known.

If it is going to be a trans whatever type deal, it needs to follow legal roads and trails on the route that John Q Rider has access to on google. The stack of tires that showed up on Quarry is a testament that the morons screw it up for the guys like us who don't tear shit up.
  5. mgorman

Oddometer:

Crap like that is what led to the loss of my Rally training rail bed, that and goobers using it as a backdoor to stealing scrap metal. It's amazing the crap people just toss out on the side of the road or on someone else's property
  6. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, so it sounds like we just reverted back to square one! :norton

How are we going to collaborate on our good road findings, if we're not making our results public? We can create a google maps account that only we can access. Send the link out via PM so it's not posted. But how do we determine who's 'in'?

Perhaps I'm over thinking this.
  7. mgorman

Oddometer:
    I'd just say be careful how you advertised it and what tags you put in the file name.
  8. ScienceOfDirt

ScienceOfDirt U-Boat Rider

Oddometer:
    I think if we're going to do a trans Ohio trail for the public, it's got to be a somewhat regular roads. If I'm in a new area, and I come across a sign saying closed road, I'm probably going to detour around it not knowing the area.

If you've got a really great area that you're willing to share, great. As others have said, and for the same reasons, I'd pass it along to people you know in a non public manner.
  9. Gonzo_Matt

Gonzo_Matt Random Hero

Oddometer:
    I agree, a trans ohio set of tracks needs to be legal roads.

That said, a shared google account for the regulars to post what they feel comfortable sharing with other regulars seems like a great way to link together all those legal roads. As long as it's not something anyone with google can find, I have no problem sharing my local renegade stuff.
  10. mgorman

Oddometer:
    I guess I'll get off my ass and try to upload some of my routes.

Just to keep from cross editing, maybe post up here that you are in the file and repost when finished. I'd hate to see someone log an hour and have someone kill it by logging in elsewhere
  11. mgorman

Oddometer:
    Also...

Once they are getting close to being done, I can try to use bikeroute toaster to create some route sheets for roll charts
  12. ScienceOfDirt

ScienceOfDirt U-Boat Rider

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure google is a good place to put it. Even if it is hidden today, a change in the terms of service might make it visible down the road.

I'd be happy to share some of my secure FTP space, but that might be a little low tech for some. It would work with any browser though for download and upload.
  13. Gonzo_Matt

Gonzo_Matt Random Hero

Oddometer:
    i don't know that it's that big of an issue, we aren't talking about the nuclear foot ball here, your common redneck isn;t going to dig too deep into google and if a TOS change causes it to become public, we can nuke it.

MikeF created a map, anyone who wants to add their two cents shoot a PM to him or myself and we will give you the URL and password.
  14. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had too much caffeine at dinner... can't sleep...

Playing with the county maps and photoshop (free Paint.NET version), I've figured out how to highlight all the smallest of the small roads in the county maps. Took Ross county for example... Turned it from a somewhat difficult to look at this: http://www.dot.state.oh.us/Division...es/Documents/CountyMaps_ColorOn/ROS_color.pdf

To a much simpler... (highlighted the smallest roads...) this:
    [​IMG]

It's still the same (huge) size and detail on my computer too (albeit smaller here).

I'm pretty pleased with this... but that's probably because it's late and I'm bored. It does look like it'll be easier to tie together small roads when they stand out like this though.
  15. ruppster

ruppster Long timer

Oddometer:
    The stuff I showed is all officially twp and county roads. If your vehicle has plates you can be on them. There is a big off road truck event on SR26 on Memorial day weekend, they use all of those roads as well. Beyond oil well roads, I don't go off things marked as roads in Marietta Unit of Wayne Nat'l.
    Was ranting about unauthorized trail usage. Its a lot different than AEP ground where anything goes.
  16. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know of anyone here that rides on unauthorized trails. I understand everything you're saying, but I feel it's just not necessary for us. Unless you're speaking to the random google searcher that might happen upon this forum?!

We ride old, small, and occasionally forgotten roads. Sometimes power line trails. And on the rare occasion, some mystery middle-of-nowhere quad trails that usually connect two roads, and that present no signage against our being there.

Did we say something that led you to believe we're just out illegally tearing shit up?
  17. ruppster

ruppster Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, sorry just a little cranky this morning I guess. :shog But I was just saying there is nothing that I would share that anyone couldn't just find on a map. All the locals know the routes and you may find a Jeep out there while you're riding. I was just reading about "giving the info up" and "anyone being able to find the routes" and there was a comment about keeping it on legal roads. It's just a really sensitive subject around here because folks get the Nelsonville stuff mixed up with the Marietta Unit, they think it's all just the same Wayne Nat'l.

So should we call out areas unfit for a GS1200 with bags and Tourances? There are several of those roads around here, I called one out on the little map I posted.
  18. mgorman

Oddometer:
    I'm all with you on the Mtb trails.

As far as the big bikes go, maybe a scale could be tagged to a road such as

4: passable by Crown Victoria

3: High ground clearance required (found these signs in the Black Hills)

2: Big bike passable (Average rider)

1: Big bike nightmare (Average rider)

HC: Bring a friend, winch and a shovel

HC - Hors catégorie, Used in cycling to describe something beyond catagorization, i.e. a Perry State Forest muck hole.
  19. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok cool. Yeah, we're on the same page then.

I think we just need to call out any real challenges. The couple that have posted here already seem perfect to me; making note of rivers, mud, and difficult hills. Once we mark that, each rider can decide for themselves where to go.

If we do eventually form an official trans-Ohio route, then we'll have to be more official about route difficulty levels.
  20. CBBaron

CBBaron Long timer

Oddometer:
    Problem is unless I'm mistaken many of those tough trails are 2 or 3 when dry and HC when its been raining for a week :lol3

Craig