Trans-Ohio Trail planning thread

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by dox, Dec 7, 2011.

1. mgorman

mgorman Crashing since 1964

Oddometer:

That's why a rating system would help out. Just don't let me do the rating :D
  2. Gonzo_Matt

Gonzo_Matt Random Hero

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the rating system is tough. A road that a Ninja could go up in July might be tough on a WRR in november.

As for trespassing, I am on the same page, but if there is a good set of roads that are not well known, making them well known has the effect of turning them from fun on a bike to a mud bog. I'm going to add a few here in a min.
  3. mgorman

Oddometer:
    I've been on the wrong end of a shot gun before, that was 30 years ago, people aren't as tolerant anymore so I don't want to repeat that situation
  4. Gonzo_Matt

Gonzo_Matt Random Hero

Oddometer:
    I added a few gravel roads in, I don't have a whole lot of time at the moment, I'll go through my tracks on my Garmin to refresh my memory
  5. Gonzo_Matt

Gonzo_Matt Random Hero

Oddometer:
  6. ScienceOfDirt

ScienceOfDirt U-Boat Rider

Oddometer:
    I guess I'm the only trespasser of the group. Most of the RR beds I ride are not technically a public road, just an abandoned right of way. The few that are public, are for non motorized traffic, and I stay off of them.
  7. mgorman

Oddometer:
    I stay out of posted, the rest are explored based on relativity to buildings
  8. Gonzo_Matt

Gonzo_Matt Random Hero

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it's a common sense thing. The way I look at it is, if they wouldn't know you were there, it's ok...if that makes sense.
  9. ruppster

ruppster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Put a couple hundred in yesterday scouting around between Marietta & Woodsfield. There's a road I thought was gravel, but turned out its broken pavement/chip and seal. I just about have a big bike friendly (but really fun on a small one) route completed that is 90% gravel.
    GAS GUY likes this.
  10. Moparmanpete

Moparmanpete The Cracken has risen!...maybe? NOPE

Oddometer:
    Ohio Adventure Trail System:evil
  11. ruppster

ruppster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just picked up a new Etrex 20 to replace my old, falling apart Vista & upgraded to BaseCamp. I have some tracks in BaseCamp & got them to Google Earth. I then saved them & created maps in Google Maps. They look & work great on Earth (can even drive/fly the route), but they stink on Maps. They are on multiple pages, you can't see the whole route at once. Suggestions?
  12. dox

dox How much for the ape?

Oddometer:
    So are you just uploading the GPX file to google maps or converting it to a KML file and then uploading?

When you upload a GPX directly in native form, apparently google maps will fragment the file. You can use a website called GPS Visualizer to take the the file out of BaseCamp and do a clean conversion to a google maps KML file:

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map_input?form=google
  13. ruppster

ruppster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm sending it straight to Earth (using View/Google Earth), saving as a KML, then creating a map in Google Map by importing the KML. When I import the KML I get the fragmentation.
  14. mgorman

Oddometer:
    Sweet! Yesterday I mentioned field work on this project for this Saturday in the NEO thread and you guys revive this one, poyfect!

Of course, I kinda called it something else....

15. Gonzo_Matt

Gonzo_Matt Random Hero

Oddometer:
    You shouldn't get that is you use the convertor Dox posted. It's what I use and it works great.

KML's are wonky for me too if I try to convert them and import the into Basecamp. I always end up with the waypoints intact, but none of the tracks.
  16. dox

dox How much for the ape?

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the late reply, Ruppster. What Matt said, that converter works really well and doesn't fragment the routes/waypoints in either direction. Give it a try.
  17. ruppster

ruppster Long timer

Oddometer:
    http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/display/1362624633-15385-173.81.52.161.html

This works, but still not exactly what I want. I'd like to get these track on one of my Google Maps. Haven't figured it out yet, I must be slow. ArcMap is easier to use than some of this stuff. :lol3

BTW here's what Google Maps does to my track when I send to Earth, then import the kml.
    https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=212680587774675356461.0004d73265836c57b1ac2&msa=0
    It does look like you can save the kml to view yourself anyway
  18. metalbuggy

metalbuggy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anymore work on the TOT?
    I'm looking to go from NC to MI. It looks like I can utilize part of the TWVT.
    Any good routes from the TWVT to NW Ohio, on to MI?
    I'll be on a small DS(250) btw.
  19. mgorman

Oddometer:
    Not sure anyone will jump at routing through NW Ohio, aka Flatistan from I-71 Northwest. If it hadn't been for the occasional intersections, your steering head bearings would sieze up. Post in the Adventure in Ohio thread, more folks troll that thread
  20. metalbuggy

metalbuggy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    10-4 thanks mgorman.