Trans-PA Trail - Vertical Edition

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by tonyjuliano, May 2, 2016.

1. Ebeo1

Ebeo1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. jbb13

jbb13 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oddometer:
    Well, as someone currently living in PA, who hasn't ridden this route yet (full disclosure), I can tell you the weather late March-Early April might be unpredictable. I live in Pittsburgh and it was 60* today and it's going to be 36* tomorrow with snow in the forecast for Tuesday of next week. Since this route goes through the mountains in the middle of the state it wouldn't be surprising if the weather was absolute shit last week of March. Now, as you've mentioned, you're an enduro rider so IMO you're going to be fine on the riding part; even if you have snow. Gate-wise?? I don't know... could you get around them "unofficially"; I mean I'd guess ya, probably...I probably would if I were in your shoes... The OP says the route is 335 miles total. I'd guess you can probably do at least 200mi/day if the weather co-operates (i.e. no snow, just cool to cold temps out) since it appears to be forest roads and the OP took a scrambler on his ride. I'd guess that number seems reasonable based on the mileages during my TAT ride in 2016. I think you should do it, especially since you're already committed to the idea of staying in motels; post a great RR so people can see what's going on here. There hasn't been a ton of RRs around this route in the past (though I feel the BDR is going to change that this year).

Also, anyone else looking at the MABDR and thinking all this was available already between this thread's GPS and a few others? Not entirely impressed; but the GPS is free so NBD.
    snobum, wr420 and Snake Oiler like this.
  3. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did this in Oct 2016 riding northbound. I started at the MD/PA border around 2pm...made it up past bald eagle SF before stopping for the night (7ish?). Next day, headed out a little after 6am and hit the end point in NY at 11:25am. So that's like 10ish hours total riding. Was on a 1200GS with 50/50 tires. I had a curvy route planned to head home but rain moved in in the morning so I just slabbed it back home at that point. It was a bit muddy on some of the forest roads and one section in particular (though not very long) I was totally expecting to lose the front end but never did.

I compared them and there's a lot of overlap between the 2 but enough difference I'd be ok riding back on one or the other.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  4. wr420

wr420 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. Im actually going to shoot for second week of April. Ill do my best to document my trip.
  5. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    Might as well check out the tracks from the Trans PA Trail as well. I built it back in 2010 with the intent to connect the NJ trail with the one Intothenew build that started in Michaux state forest and went south. instead of riding the whole 1000 miles, you can ride parts of it.

Someday I need to ride this north south trail as well.

Here is the TPAT (blue) and the Vertical (red) and MABDR (only PA section) (violet) all on top of each other, all points removed. as you can see, there is not may different routes through south central PA.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1u59cdxOZ-I62dfoVxKi4ufWYrpMJWkSb&usp=sharing
    Marcus I. and wr420 like this.
  6. mslow

mslow Faccia Brutta

Oddometer:
    Hey Towpro, how are things?
    Hey, can you share any routes that are mostly offroad and preferably challenging for a big bike?
    We typically ride anything the enduro bikes ride on our fat bikes and like the challenge, so anything you can share in that regard would be awesome.
    TIA
  7. TowPro

Oddometer:
    not really. All of my course is 100% street legal where you could drive a car (if you don't mind driving on gravel roads).
    If you look up Park City PA on the map, than you see Tower Road heading north, that was the only section where my co-riders were worried if they would be able to get out. Those were Jeep roads.

Just below Penn State area I hear there is some "dirt paths" open to big bikes, I think the MABDR routes and or the PA Vertical might go that directions where my route went more north west towards Moshannan state forest.

Keep in mind I rode most of my route on a Buell Ulysses.
    mslow likes this.
  8. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bald Eagle State Forest (http://www.docs.dcnr.pa.gov/cs/groups/public/documents/document/dcnr_20029714.pdf) , AOAA, Pine Barrens in NJ (http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/pine-barrens-rides.1130767/), Michaux enduro (https://www.usdualsports.com/listing/michaux-enduro/), Reading anthracite company land permit (https://readingoutdoors.com/)
    MikeCMP and mslow like this.
  9. snobum

snobum Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check out Purple Lizard Maps - excellent resource for several PA State Parks, Athens OH, and currently working on the Romney/Davis/Blackwater Falls area in WV.

https://www.purplelizard.com
    mslow likes this.
  10. Bkoenig

Bkoenig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey WR just a heads up. Pa trout opens the second week in April(14th I think) If any of those forest roads follow stocked streams they will likely look similar to a Walmart parking lot.
  11. TowPro

Oddometer:
    actually on South East side of PA it opens 3/31
  12. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    TowPro: Thanks for this compilation and noting this is mostly nice dirt road tracks. Next month I'll be visiting friends in Naples NY and will be able to do the top end of the MABDR down to Lock Haven. Will do TPAT-Vertical going back north. Ridden this area over the last 10 years using Cedar Run as "home base"....good stuff.
  13. Leeroy311

Leeroy311 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys. Has anybody rode this route yet this year. I'm thinking about taking the friday before labor day weekend off. I'd like to give this a shot starting from Maryland and heading north.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
  14. Andydesign

Andydesign Transylmaniac

Oddometer:
    Hello there!
    Was wondering how can I get a map like this for other states?
    Figure can help me take less traveled roads when cruising around .Thanks!
  15. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Not all states have them available. I've only been able to find two with mostly complete maps. Pennsylvania and Iowa. Find them on the state government sites. But,also some countries have them on their website. If you come across any please inform me would you?
  16. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
  17. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
  18. Andydesign

Andydesign Transylmaniac

Oddometer:
    Yes sure,
    For now I was able to download quite a few GPX tracks that would probably keep me busy the whole year
    Snake Oiler likes this.