Trans-Taiga ride planning

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by jules083, Feb 10, 2015.

1. jules083

jules083 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We've been talking in the Pittsburgh Riders Thread about a ride across the Trans-Taiga road this August, here's a thread to keep it all organized. Others are welcome to join, but be aware that fuel range is an issue and the road is reported to chew tires pretty bad. I'm planning on bringing at least 8.5 gallons of gas counting what's in the tank. I need to do a loaded fuel milage test, I think I'll need another gallon or so on top of that.

We do not have a solid date yet. I'm free the whole month I think, AdvRich said the same. I would like to plan this as do-able in one week, with 2 weekends. I have more time but that should make the ride more accessible for others. Bronciii, Disconnected, and PASlammer are hoping to make the ride, so right now we're looking at 5 riders. Depending on how many others join we'll plan from there. I'm already thinking we'll split up at the border then meet at the next town. I have long hair so I'll probably get questioned for a few hours. Damn hippies. :lol3

The one way route, all highway, from Pittsburgh PA is 1,619 miles. We're going to have to add to that, there are a few detours that are off the actual road but will be necessary for fuel. I'll be surprised if we travel less than 3500 miles. So we're going to have consecutive 400 mile days for most of the trip. I'm planning on having helmet speakers and a good music player to drown out the 650 thump. AdvRich has mentioned turning off on the return leg to do part of the TCAT, which is the canada version of our TAT.

For bikes, anything that can do fast gravel and carry fuel can make it. I'm taking my XR650, there's 2 WR250's, a BMW800GS, and one guy currently bike shopping. Either another WR, a DRZ, or the ugliest 1150GS I've seen yet. :lol3

ADVRich has an informative post here, along with an interactive map:

Here's the 'IN' list. I'll try to keep this one updated as needed.

Jules083
    Broncii
    PASlammer
    AdvRich
    Disconnected
    Rodknee
  2. disconnected

disconnected brap

Oddometer:
    Thank you for starting this. My GS is not the ugliest either. It's "Utilitatian"
  3. jules083

Oddometer:
    If my computer didn't hate me I'd post a picture that proves otherwise. :D

Also, for anyone going, watch out for this guy ^ when he's posting pictures. He likes to crop out the 'lesser' bikes, which is any brand other than what he's riding. :freaky
  4. PA Slammer

PA Slammer I hate titles...

Oddometer:
    Watchin'
  5. AdvRich

AdvRich Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  6. Jeff B

Jeff B Socially Awkward

Oddometer:
    Jules, Can you put up a map of the proposed route?

I'm assuming you're planning on taking the James Bay Rd, up to the Trans T.

Or are you doing it counter clockwise?
  7. disconnected

disconnected brap

Oddometer:
    Jeff, check the links in the first post. :)
  8. jules083

Oddometer:
    Give me a bit and I will. I just got a new laptop that can make a route and haven't played with it much.

My loose plan is to head straight north in the most direct way possible. On the way back I'll have an alternate route planned out that we will hopefully be able to take.

My biggest concern is a breakdown. It's a long push back if someone breaks.
  9. Rodknee

Rodknee the post is mightier than the sword...

Oddometer:
    subscribed. i would like to do this as well. :D
  10. disconnected

disconnected brap

Oddometer:
    Hi Rodknee- welcome to the mix. :freaky
  11. jules083

Oddometer:
    It should be an interesting trip. Lots of details to work out still, plus bike prep will be pretty important with the remoteness of the ride.
  12. Rodknee

Oddometer:
    i did AK last august, and vastly over prepared, so my 990 will be easily able to make this trip. i shall call it "AK light". :lol3

[​IMG]
  13. jules083

Oddometer:
    Nice. I'm hoping to do Alaska in 2016. I have the time this year but probably not the money.
    disconnected likes this.
  14. Rodknee

Oddometer:
    yeah, i am still paying off the trip and bike prep... :cry

oh, i found this thread regarding Trans-Taiga. it was a good read:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=506183
  15. jules083

Oddometer:
    I won't finance a vacation and have terrible self control on spending money.

That was the first thread I saw. It was the one that first gave me this idea.
  16. AdvRich

AdvRich Long timer

Oddometer:
    :wave

17. Jeff B

Jeff B Socially Awkward

Oddometer:
    I would recommend that you pick the brains of others who have done this trip. Their experience will be helpful and might change/or help develop how you might go about experiencing the area.

I hope you have taken into consideration that this is not the two track technical twisties w/big elevation changes like in the Appalachians/Rockies and such.

Instead you have to be realistic that it will be miles and miles and miles of wide frost heaved pavement, or gravel that is in various states of repair designed for large tractor/trailers that can materialize out of nowhere as you are rounding large sweeping bends w/no shoulders, but instead drop offs on each side.

If it's dry, you can expect a whole new level of dust.

If it's early enough that the Black flies/ skeeterz are still in force, be prepared and equipped to deal w/them.

The scenery itself for the most part will be the same from one mile to the next.

Once you hit the sticks, there won't be much for cool places to eat or suckle on craft brews. It'll be more about long stretches w/o fuel, food, anything.

I'm not trying to sound like a Debbie Downer. I just want you to consider the reality of this area.

What the area will give you is remoteness and a sense of desolation. I'm sure that the quietness and how black the night skies will be amazing.

You also want to be sure of the chemistry between different riders in the group. To be sure everyone is on the same page as far as who wants to eat at a restaurant, and lodge in comfort or who wants to sleep out and eat cold soup.

Folks have different ideas of what's fun..... How much time or money to spend on excursions...... sight seeing.... Electro plant tours n such. How many miles to cover in a days time......... How fast or slow of a pace that different folks want to keep.

Right off the bat it looks like a possible pace issue seeing a GS800 n GS1150 riding in the same group as 250's.
  18. AdvRich

AdvRich Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all that Jeff B. I do have to think if you have someone in mind when you wrote including your own concerns if you were to go. Have you been on this run up to james Bay and out the end and back on the Trans Tiaga?
  19. AdvRich

AdvRich Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jules it seems a bit odd that this thread is in the NE forum instead of in trip planning, though I'm thinking you may have wanted to get more local exposure by posting here.
  20. jules083

Oddometer:
    I put it here thinking it would mainly turn into a conversation between those of us going, and we're all leaving from this area. I guess trip planning would have made more sense, I've never really been in that section.