1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail (Half) - Total ADV Newb takes his first Adventure

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by WalterMitty2, Sep 21, 2020.

1. WalterMitty2

WalterMitty2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Summary:

Awesome trip, and for a first trip it would be hard to see how it could have gone better (maybe getting a room in Hillsboro?). No one got injured, sick, or mad at each other. No one even laid a bike down, though I came real close twice. 1) Was at "T" intersection on a paved road, at a dead stop, thought I was in 1st, was probably in 3rd and stalled the bike and almost tipped over...would have if my bike as 1 pound heavier. Luckily there was an audience of stopped cars to see the fat guy stomping his left foot like he was putting out a fire saving the bike. 2) Came up on a stretch of sand, got real squirrely real fast and I would have gone down had I continued to slow down or stop, so as a last ditch effort I gassed it....when in doubt, throttle out worked!

And I owe it all to this site! From the bike I bought, to the gear I bought, and even the free tracks (thanks Chad Berger)....THANKS AGAIN!
    Pearl City Chinook and Rudy like this.
  2. Rudy

Rudy Learnin' Administrator Supporter

Oddometer:
    nicely done!! thanks for sharing this RR.
  3. Canton rider

Canton rider Canton Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great job! Thanks for posting this.
  4. mshnhed

mshnhed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice report! Thanks for taking the time!
  5. MarcoSolo

MarcoSolo Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those are my local stomping grounds - I live about 20 minutes from Hillsboro and some of the windy roads around there are my regular sport bike routes. Last year I did the northern section of the TW*T route from Wildcat Mt. as far north as one of Flambeau River State Forest's campgrounds and you definitely saw the better half of the state, at least for dual sport riding. It was mostly pavement but what "offroad" I saw was straight and flat sand roads the consistency of confectioner's sugar. I had 50/50 tires which were not up to the task and picking up a loaded XR650 by myself in that sand with nowhere to put down the kickstand tried me mightily. I'm going to have to do your southern section before it gets much later. I was out today on my Africa Twin though the alternating rain and sun and the trees were magnificent! Thanks for the great pictures and the motivation.
    WalterMitty2 likes this.
  6. WalterMitty2

WalterMitty2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hate sand! I'd like to do the second half of the TWT someday, but would try and avoid the sand sections if possible. I just don't know how to ride them, have zero fun riding them, and no desire to learn. Love the off pavement hard packed stuff. The Good Nuf Hollow Road and the area around it was awesome. Sadly it's not that long...we all would have loved miles and miles of that stuff.
    MarcoSolo likes this.
  7. MarcoSolo

MarcoSolo Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I lived in Saudi Arabia for a couple of years and had a CR250 there - sand can be great fun if you're set up for it but, yes, a nightmare if you're not.
  8. bgm1911

bgm1911 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing.....an inspirational read!
  9. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good on you for getting out there!!! Dual sports in the bush or desert does keep crazy old guys young, does it not? Thanks for the RR. Petepilot