Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail July 2021

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Wmccree, Jul 21, 2021 at 10:38 AM.

1. Wmccree

Wmccree Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This was our first “adventure” ride and was great! Weather was perfect the entire time. Mid 50s in the morning mid 80s as high. We started out Friday about 1. Day one is mainly back country pavement and some gravel road. We stayed at wyalusing state park. Short day but nice. Day two we start about 7 am and hit more pavement and gravel to the town of Ontario where we hit Riverside bar and grill for lunch then stayed at wildcat campground. Doing it again I’d hotel it in galena and get an early start making this the day one stop. Next day we set out and the ride gets fun. First quick taste of the atv trails and a little sand. Goal was to hit Day Lake. Ended up short of that and camped in a rustic campground near Medford. Great camp site. Final day was the long haul to the lake. Best day in general with lots of gravel, atv trails, and the sand. What they call sand is nothing like you find in Colorado or the beach. Silt would be a better description. It’s tough going to say the least! And seems to go on for miles. Hit the lake about 6pm then headed south for about three hours to hotel it for the night.

Doing it again I’d plan it to leave day one early and going to at least Ontario if not further. It’s an easy cruising day and really doable. I think my packing was on point, just took my knowledge of back packing and converted to biking. I was at 40#s total for five days.

Attached Files:

mnTwin and SwampyDeadHead like this.
  2. Jacksonjack41

Jacksonjack41 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the invite Walt. I learned a lot on this trip. For some reason the Tigers like to take naps in the sand :)
    Wmccree likes this.
  3. herseyb

herseyb Driftless Wisconsin Wanderlust

Oddometer:
    I love road riding in SW wisconsin. Not sure how my dl650 would handle all that sand though... Looks like y'all had fun!
    Wmccree likes this.
  4. Wmccree

Wmccree Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You also learned raccoons are more of a concern than bears. Lol
    But you made up for it by saving our bacon when I got us off route. Lol

the lower height would probably make it a better choice for sand! Lol. Tall bike and shorter legs was fun for me!