Transamerica Trail 2009 - OCD or not to be.

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Questor, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Seth S

Seth S Deleted

Oddometer:
    I had to get off the trail after experiencing a severe rain storm between Moab and Green River. My basically stock 950 with too much gear proved to be too much of a handful in the wet slime and later in the deep sand. If I went back today on the same bike I have no doubt I could handle it...setup and skill have significantly improved. However it would be a lot more fun on the 690.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Man that had to be a bitch picking up Seth :eek1
  3. MotoAdventureGal

MotoAdventureGal Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Holy crap! I'd better start doing DR-ups! (I know my limit is 6 bike pickups UNLOADED in a day--I once rode w/Viverid and kept tipping over. The 7th time I had to ask for help picking up the bike.)

I think I may also print these pics and hang them in the garage...any time I ask myself "do I really need it?" I'll look at your pics before deciding.
  4. MotoAdventureGal

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have advice on special non-breakable parts for my DR350? Wavydavy told me about these rubber thingies I can mount the turn signals onto so I don't have to keep replacing them (which is getting onerous at the rate I tip the bike over) yet Questor nor I can find them anywhere.

I finally got Barkbusters and they do a fantastic job of protecting my hands and preventing repeated lever breakage.

Any goodies for the mirrors?
  5. DR. Rock

DR. Rock Part of the problem

Oddometer:
    the rubber thingies were made by white bros. I don't think they make them anymore. I had a pair on the DR650, picked them up on ebay back in teh day, contact Ginzer, he may be able to photo them for you. Shouldn't be hard to replicate.

edit: found them here... scroll down to item #10, part # 44-0118

Ken Sean / Emgo makes an $11 folding mirror. I can give you one when you're here on the 17th, I buy them by the dozen. Learn to live with only one (usually the left) and you'll reduce your breakage rate by 50% :D.
  6. Seth S

Seth S Deleted

Oddometer:
    The bike full of fuel with all the guards and gear weighed in around 550 to 600 lbs. But I am pretty good at picking it up. The problem in this case was that the mud was so slippery I could not get a foot hold and could not pick the bike up. Every time I got the bike part way up my feet skidded out from under me and down everything went. Its hard to see it but the bike is laying down a little hill...we are talking a hill that a grandmother with a walker could get up...if things were dry. However the mud was so slick that I could not get enough traction to go up the hill....the front fender kept packing with mud the and rear wheel was solid mud. In the end I found a flat piece of shale and dug a trench for my feet. Then I tackled the bike like a football player and slowly inched the rear tire towards the ditch.....digging a new trench every couple of feet. Finally I was able to stand the bike back up....then....its a good thing the bike has a strong battery because I had to clear out the flooded carbs etc. The whole ordeal took about 1.5 hours. It took me an hour to ride the mile from the last intersection and about 45 minutes to get back to that intersection...the other road was not muddy at all...just this one. And I did try riding off the road but that terrain was about hub deep of even worse mud...in upright bike photo you can see the tracks in the background...including one that clearly jumps back on the road.

oh and one other note....to this day some of that mud is baked onto the front exhaust pipe.
  7. olebiker

olebiker Old buzzard bait

Oddometer:
    Sounds like one of those nightmare times when you think you are gonna crap out before you can get the damn thing upright. It is certainly one of the hazards of riding alone.
  8. Seth S

Seth S Deleted

Oddometer:
    perhaps....but I am a bit stubborn and will persist until any last possible solution is exhausted...then I find some other way to fix the problem. If I had to I would have stripped the bike down until i could have picked it up. Consequently I spent $15 at the DIY car wash in Moab to get most of the mud off :lol3. If the road had been dry it would have been a blast....so if you get to Moab on the TAT and it is raining...you might want to wait a day or two before riding to green river.
  9. MotoAdventureGal

Oddometer:
    cool. we've been looking for them for 2 months.

Does that mean I have to remember to fold them up each time I crash? :lol3
  10. Brent4ADV

Brent4ADV Enjoying empty roads...

Oddometer:
    I really found much of Utah to be a blast. We didn't have any rain though so my opinion is based on dry conditions. If you do get dry conditions then your only problem will be some deep sand every now and then. However, there are tons of burms, and great scenery (canyons, washes, layered rock formations) to distract you.

The good:

[​IMG]

The bad:

[​IMG]
  11. BgDadddy

BgDadddy Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Thats where living & riding in Florida comes in handy. 90% of our riding down here is on stuff like that.
  12. Staxrider

Staxrider dirt dauber

Oddometer:
    You may have already done this but on the front if you switch the signals (L side to R, R side to L) it moves them up closer to the handlebars.
  13. MotoAdventureGal

Oddometer:
    My TAT Maps arrived this weekend--yeah! I guess Sam even ships over the holidays--Thanks Sam http://www.transamtrail.com/!

The postman must have known it was a special package...he even walked the box up to the door--first time since I've lived here 5 years!!! (Or maybe it was the xmas cookies I put in the mailbox? :D

Either way, now Questor can now start obsessing with waypoints. :clap
  14. MotoAdventureGal

Oddometer:
    Cool idea! We'll try it. I'm going to order the rubber thingies and then schedule another wrenching session with Q.
  15. shalbleib

shalbleib Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wanna know just what Dr Rock took on his trip, a pair of boxers and a bag of jerky?! kidding. seriously, you obviously have the "minimal" thing down - so what did u take???
  16. DR. Rock

DR. Rock Part of the problem

Oddometer:
    That's not us in that photo... it's the Jersey Boyz who mostly (entirely?) stayed in hotels and ate in restaurants.

On our Mobius trips, we mostly camp and cook so we took more than they did. But yes, we are minimal. Check out the link... there's planning points and gear reviews interspersed. Yes, jerky. No boxers. 2 pair of exofficio boxer-briefs. 1 pair lightweight silk thermals. Etc.

[​IMG]

I have the full packing list as an excel spreadsheet; if you really want it, I'll send it to you -- PM me your email. :brow
  17. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Your correct Doc, we stayed entirely in motels for the weight and time saving factors. But we love to camp and have in the past, like Idaho. We are also currently planning our 09' trip that will be a camp trip.
    If you motel it, you'd be surprised how little you need for a 2 week trip.
  18. MotoAdventureGal

Oddometer:
    I love motels. NO, specifically, I love sleeping in a proper bed. I'm a TOTAL princess camper.

REFORMED Princess Camper because Questor and I are entirely low-budget now. We both have "quit" our corporate jobs and are seeing how much motorcycling we can get in in the next two years. We're lucky we met each other at the exact same stage of our downsizing.

We'll be on the road for almost 8 weeks for this trip--I've signed up for the "Adventure for the Cure" , a Susan G Komen 12-day breast cancer fundraising ride, and I'll have to arrive in Rapid City, SD August 6th for that and will end up at the AMA Women's Conference-- spanning about 2 weeks in the middle of our trip. Hm. Looks like a logistical nightmare because I'm also scheduled to work the BMW National rally two weeks before that...

poor Questor. Stuck in the 4 corners area with a motorbike for 2 weeks waiting for me...
  19. shalbleib

shalbleib Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    rider girl,

how are you doing it??? I keep pondering it. I have my house up for sale and am certain if I hadn't gotten 2 lab pups after the unexpected passing of my last dog, I'd follow your lead. Now I have that responsibility, but my brother owns a dog kennel and would be willing to help out. did you save up a certain amount of money? are you keeping some sort of residence somewhere? what's your plan? i'm very curious to know how you've made your decision. the thought of working another 25 years and then trying to ride the TAT or whatever sounds very unlikely. congrats to you though!!!
  20. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
    Yeah, That's going to be tough... :lol3
    I've read Gaspipe's Colorado 2008 ride report, and I've got all his GPS data...
    There's at least two weeks of awesome riding in the area around Salida. And then, Canyonlands and Utah... :tb

I think I'll be fine. :wink:

So, um... Who wants to "adopt" a Questor for a week in August?
    I can repair most anything, and am a really good cook.
    I'll work for tent space... Anyone?
    Q~