Transamerica Trail 2009 - OCD or not to be.

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Questor, Dec 10, 2008.

1. juniorsktm

juniorsktm Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Hey Gang,
    Mile 0321 and I are leaving the first! Going to Oregon, hope to see you on the trail!
    Frank
  2. NJDRT-RDR

NJDRT-RDR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can't wait to read along its my dream to also do it and I also ride a drz.
    Nick
  3. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
    Hello Mr. Shark. :wave

I've got some 2" bar risers already installed. You are correct, they do make a huge difference. I can stand all day and feel relaxed. (I've been riding the local dirt roads to and from Rider_grrl's house and have become quite comfortable at 40mph on packed dirt.) So far I've put about 3K miles on the DRZ since I bought it last fall. I figure if it hasn't shown any symptoms of weakness yet, we should be good for the next 5K. The motor feels strong.
    I've done a lot of maintenance and inspections of the "Buzuki" so I feel this bike and I have an 'understanding' as to what is expected of it.
    It think we will do fine.

:ricky
    Q~
  4. MotoAdventureGal

MotoAdventureGal Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer:
    I just ordered my bar risers. Battery is dead again. Looks like I got that YUASA hookup just in time...
  5. Questor

Oddometer:
    Hello All.

Well we are four days from "Launch". :eek1
    We plan to leave at 9:00am on Tuesday June 23rd.

It wil take us four days to get down to NC / TN.
    I've checked all the possible routes, and have come up a nice route based on waypoints such as ADV tent space, and Free National Forest campsites. I also checked the route against Google Earth satellite images and the route looks rural and undeveloped. I'm looking for the scenic routes and an average speed of about 40mph.

There is nervousness and tension in the air.
    The packing and repacknig has begun.
    Final systems checks of all major gear and equipment.

The DRZ is ready to go. :clap

[​IMG]

Here's what makes a DRZ400GSA...:wink:
    - Large 4.3 gal fuel tank. This give an approximate range over 200 miles.
    - F650 GS Rallye inspired cockpit for hardwired Garmin 276C GPS.
    - Handguards, skidplate, side case guards.
    - Rear luggage rack.
    - Dirt Bagz metal side bag supports
    - Soft side "Low profile dry bag" saddlebag luggage from Ortlieb.
    - 30 L Dry bag on rear rack.
    - Mount for 22ml MSR Fuel bottle (for stove)
    - Exhaust heat sheild
    - 12V Power port for air compressor and recharging electronics (such as Cardo headsets, digital camera batteries, and cell phones.)
    - Sweet Cheeks seat cushion / storage.
    - New drivetrain with 15 / 47 gearing.

Here are some more pictures.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Detail of the luggage supports and the heat shield.
    [​IMG]

On the other side we have the fuel bottle holder. I've got something simmilar on my BMW GSA.
    [​IMG]

The Ortlieb side bags are about 21" long and can therefore hold a whole tent, including the poles. On the right side of the bike I'll carry the tent, ground cloth, 10' x 12' tarp, and have some room left over.

[​IMG]

All this stuff could be wet when packing up camp, so it's nice to be able to isolate it, and keep the weight of the wet camping gear low.

Still lots of room. I might bring a folding stool. :wink:
    [​IMG]

The right side case will hold tools, spare parts, cookware, and food items. Again, heavier items are kept low.

The yellow dry bag in the top will be full of lightweight things like my down sleeping bag, inflatable mattress, clothing / toiletries, and electronic recharging stuff. Basiacally anything that will be kept dry, and transfered between bike and tent.

Here's a view of the cockpit. Notice the GPS front and center, right above the standard instrument cluster. It's protected by the taller windscreen. It helps keep wind, rain and bugs off the GPS and my torso.

[​IMG]

And here's some pictures of the Sweet Cheeks posterior comfort device and storage system. :wink:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So the bike seems all set and ready to go.
    I've downloaded the TAT route and waypoints into the GPS.
    Batteries are all charging.
    We should be all set for an epic trip. :ricky

New tires await the DRZ GSA in Tennessee...

Let's hope for nice weather.
    Q~
  6. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Awesome! Have a great time; I'll be jealously following your RR as you post it.

See you in August...

--mark
  7. Paramedicrogers

Paramedicrogers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good Luck can't wait to see your ride report!! We leave in August.:ricky
  8. DR. Rock

DR. Rock Part of the problem

Oddometer:
    Have a great trip, you two. If you need a Spot contact, feel free to add my email / cell to the distribution. I know you've got a lot of time and energy put into this. We'll keep our fingers crossed for good weather. You guys be safe. :thumb

Looking forward to reading the stories along the way, and hearing about them when you return. :beer
  9. Questor

Oddometer:
    No SPOT.

I've got your cell # in case I crash. :lol3

Thanks for the wishes of good luck.
    Personally I prefer planning and preparedeness over luck.

I've participated and survived all the other off-world battles, what's one more war on this pathetic dirt ball.
    No future...
    Q~

10. juniorsktm

juniorsktm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Questor, thanks for the PM's I look forward to seeing you out there! Keep an eye out for two 9fiddy's with the throttle down and the trim up!:clap
  11. La Donna Fugata

La Donna Fugata You're not the boss of me

Oddometer:
    Hey questor and Rider_girrl. Just wanted to wish the two of you a safe journey. Enjoy the trail. :ricky

LDF
  12. MotoAdventureGal

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the good wishes...I need them.

It's midnight the night before we leave and I still haven;t even packed...sure, I have tons of stuff thrown in a box, but I'm still dealing with the logistics of moving out of my house and finishing up a lot of business so I can be on the road the coming year.

If we just get on the road, maybe Questor will start liking me again...
  13. scoon66

scoon66 Who is the Coon?

Oddometer:
    Tinks? :lol3
  14. Vinnie the Snake

Vinnie the Snake Long timer

Oddometer:
    If youse two need a place to stay a night, let me know. Can work on the bikes as well if you wish before hitting the next phase of the adventure.

PM if you decide you need a night just South of the TAT near Tulsa.

Good Luck:ear :ear :ear
  15. Desmolitonman

Desmolitonman Projectile

Oddometer:
    Hey Questor,
    Whats happening out there in Tat world?
    D
  16. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    I got an email this morning from Rider_grrl; they've made it to the start of the TAT and today's their first day on the trail.

The ride report will get posted when they're done due to lack of time and Internet access.

--mark
  17. Desmolitonman

Desmolitonman Projectile

Oddometer:
    Questor is going with out WiFi?!!! I don't believe it. Oh well I guess I will just have to start talking shit about him untill he responds :rofl

D
  18. flyinfuzz

flyinfuzz 2 Quarts low

Oddometer:
    Questor and Rider grrl stayed with us last night. They are doing great. We fed them BBQ for supper and dear wife made a homemade breakfast of eggs,sausage and biscuts. Yum Yum. I need to have more people stay over so I can get better eats. His tires were a no show. He is going to be down to the air soon. I rode with the today ,dusty but much lower humidty and cooler temps . They are camping at the Old Stone Fort tonight and it looks like the weather is going to hold out. I brought the rain back home with me tonight. Tally ho! :clap Fuzz
  19. MotoAdventureGal

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I got yakking with Mrs. Flyinfuzz the other day and closed down the computer before posting to this thread...

We're on the TAT, having a good time, conquering minor logistical and mechanical problems but everything's going well. I've eaten about 500 miles of Questor's dust so I'm pretty full and not nearly as well fed as when we stayed with flyinfuzz.

we're meeting so many great folks--ADVers are just so helpful and welcoming. We checked in to Wall Doxey (Mississippi--good thing I learned to spell it in grade school!) State park tonight and the ranger started telling us about this crazy guy that came through last week riding a bike like ours and he was headed all the way to Oregon...

OK, pay by the minute internet at McDonalds sucks, so we're outa here...no ride report until we get back but we're taking LOTS of great pics.

See you on the road ~a
  20. Questor

Oddometer:
    Hey All. :wave

The ride is going well so far.
    The trail has been throwing everything at us so far.

From super fine talcum powder dust, to loose golf ball sized gravel, to deep slimy mud.

The bikes are doing well, but require continuous maintenance.
    I cleaned Rider_grrl's air filter the other day. It looked like a sand castle when I pulled the foam filter out. I'll post pictures when I get more band width.

The fact is, we are riding 200 miles of dirt every day, and are camping every night. After making dinner, setting up camp, and doing bike maintenance every night, taking a few notes on the days adventures, were simply too tired to do anything else.

We have stayed at a few ADV folk, and they have treated us really well. I want to thank them all. THANKS. :wave

But trust me, I'm taking lots of pictures, and will write up a real bang up Ride Report when we finish the ride.

Thanks for keeping an eye on us.
    Q~