Transamerica Trail 2009 - OCD or not to be.

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Questor, Dec 10, 2008.

1. MZcountryboy

MZcountryboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Northeast Kingdom, Vermont USA (close to Canada!)
  2. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
    200 miles of talcum powder like dust looks like this on an air filter.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Need I say more?

Q~
  3. DR. Rock

DR. Rock Part of the problem

Oddometer:
    Maybe let her ride point every once in awhile? :wink:

Glad to hear all's well, thanks for checking in... In no way are we expecting a real-time ride report... I completely agree that that is unrealistic. Looking forward to the eventual write-up. BTW, do you have a Spot? How far have you gotten so far? :ear
  4. Questor

Oddometer:
    Hello Doctor! :clap

Were staying with scoon66 in Conway AR.
    We have been on the trail for about 6 days now.
    So far we have hit three "Bridge Out"s so far and have had to reroute twice.

The bikes are doing great.
    We've met some great folks, and have ridden all types of roads.
    We fear no dirt. In fact, were getting comfortable riding loose gravel at 45 MPH.

And yes, I've started making Rider_grrl ride next to me on the dirt so she and the bike can breathe.

It's been real dusty. It has not rained out here in four weeks so the dust has been incredible.

Thanks for checking in.
    We might be at another ADV-tent space in two days so I'll check in with the "Collective" then.

Bye.
    Q~

5. MotoAdventureGal

MotoAdventureGal Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Ha!..."making"...after constant fussing and coughing, sneezing, cajoling, then downright issuing threats... yes, I've finally gotten him to ride to the right so I can pull up on the left and ride outside of his dust stream. (Luckily we have the Cardos so when he says "car", I let off the throttle and duck in behind him). Sometimes I stand up on the pegs and ride really close behind him, too.

Yeah, Doc, BTW my GPS can only handle routes with 50 waypoints or less, so it's virtually useless in terms of me navigating our way. And I didn't bring my Mapsource with me, so I'm stuck with what I've got.
  6. Tinks

Tinks Demented Snow White

Oddometer:
    They rolled out a little while ago. Come to find out, rider_grrl and I had met each other at Femmoto last year. It is awesome when you get to reconnect with folks like that! :clap

Now I have another thread to subscribe to...and another place to stay if I go to points east. :evil

Good luck you two! :thumb
  7. scoon66

scoon66 Who is the Coon?

Oddometer:
    It was great having you here. I hope we can spend more time visiting in the future. :clap

[​IMG]

Be Safe and Have Fun.:D
  8. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    I imagine that's what our air filters will look like after the Trans-Lab too... unless we keep having the same weather we've been dealing with so far this summer, in which case we'll all just be covered in mud instead.

Remind me to bring air filter cleaner and oil!

--mark
  9. Tinks

Tinks Demented Snow White

Oddometer:
    They were hoping to make somewhere near the Arkansas Oklahoma border the day they left and, IIRC Mid-Oklahoma the following day. These two had hopes of catching up to them, but got thwarted due to mechanical troubles.

Now it may be a bit more difficult, but maybe not impossible. Who knows, stranger things have happened. :D

I will make this disclaimer. If we get one more PM or call about hosting a person for the TAT I think it may be appropriate to list our house as an unofficial waypoint or stop along the trail. :rofl
  10. Questor

Oddometer:
    Hey all.

I thought I'd just post an update...

Were still here in Broken Arrow OK.
    After a full day of bike maintenace, and hanging out with some really cool folks, we awoke today to this... :eek1

[​IMG]

From what our host "Vinnie the Snake" told us, that's a big storm, and it would be unwise to try and ride through it.
    So were waiting it out.

I'm just wondering what the TAT will be like after all that rain.
    I've heard horror stories, and seen pictures, of what the roads around here can turn into after a soaking like that.
    I guess we will find out...

Q~
  11. Vinnie the Snake

Vinnie the Snake Long timer

Oddometer:
    The pair is off and riding, rain passed, lighting stopped and off they went with no dust.

Enjoyed you two, was a treat to share the camp. Good Luck and keep us posted.
  12. Seth S

Seth S Will _____ for _____

Oddometer:
    Eeek rain is the secret dragon of the trail. I'd take the staggering heat and dust over the gumbo mud that forms on ever road that the TAT seems to follow.
  13. MotoAdventureGal

Oddometer:
    Yeup, I'd tend to agree. So far we've been pretty lucky...but tonight we're in our first hotel in 3 weeks of travel waiting out a storm and its accompanying threats courtesy of the National Weather Service. We're sandwiched between rednecks and roughnecks. Questor wondered out loud if it was the same hotel (Longhorn Motel in Boise City, OK) that the fellow from the movie "The Road Less Traveled" got struck by lightning...

We'll see what tonight's storms bring as far as tomoorrow's roads....we had fun today when the GPS routed us thru cattle fields. Questor opened 6 gates for us. Oh yeah, he had his 2nd and 3rd spills of the trip (too macho to wait for me to take a pic) and I had my 2nd (I had to take pics of myself since he had the good grace to bite it at the same exact place I did). Now THAT'S a good travel partner :D
  14. Vinnie the Snake

Oddometer:
    :ddog Ok, what's with the top secret mission here. Need an update you two.
  15. Questor

Oddometer:
    Hey Mr. Snake. :wave

We have made it as far as Salida on the TAT.

MotoAdventureGal's bike was hating the high altitude and we attempted to ride over the Sangre De Christo mountians by way of Hermit Pass near Westcliffe. In the process she wasted her clutch. As in slipping even on pavement.

So we got some Wi-Fi help from another ADV rider in Westcliffe and limped to Salida to Heyduke's. When we took the carb apart we discovered that her carb was "rebuilt" by the previous owner and they used gasket sealant goo to suplement the original carburator gasket. It turns out that with the extended miles, and the high heat, the goo started to come apart and it was clogging the main jet. :puke1

Heyduke helped trailer the bikes to a friend in Hartsel who let us use his truck and trailer to trailer her bike to Denver where another ADV rider is going to do the work for us.

How's that for the ADV collective assistance program? :clap

Yesterday at 5:00am I dropped MotoAdventureGal off at the Denver airport so she could go to Tennessee to the BMW rally she has to work at.

I drove back to Hartsel and then rode to Cottonwood Pass, and over to Crested Butte where I had an ADVenture of my own.

Check out my Ride Report on what I got myself into.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486130

Thanks for checking on us. :thumb

The ADVentures will continue...
    Q~
  16. Vinnie the Snake

Oddometer:
  17. klrmtn

klrmtn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any update you can give on your Sweet Cheeks?
    Thanks.
    Jason
  18. Questor

Oddometer:
    Hey.

The sweet cheeks are holding up well and have made the 200+ mile days "not too bad". I tend to keep them on the bike even when doing local trail riding. It's nice knowing you have 1 gallon of water with you in case you get stranded too. :thumb

Q~
  19. Questor

Oddometer:
    Het All. :wave

I've spent the past week in the Vail Valley area.
    I've met a few locals and we have been exploring... :wink:

Here's a few pictures...
    The ride up to the ridge.
    [​IMG]

The Ridge trail.
    [​IMG]

The Summit.
    [​IMG]

The panorama. :tb
    [​IMG]

Yeah, I guess it's pretty spectacular.
    Poor me. :wink:

Q~
  20. MotoAdventureGal

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I've been flat-out and without internet access here in TN.

We got sooooo lucky with everything--where I fried my bike, connecting with Hayduke, Bonnie Abbzug, Hartselrider, my friend Pat, Bendejo and Charla. (I still wanna try a Charlarita!!!) The combination of help from them all saved my hide. But I could not have fried my clutch at a better spot to be sure.

I fly back to Denver tomorrow and pick up the fixed bike, and we continue on to Port Orford.

Questor and I are inspired now to ride the Continental Divide Trail (thanks to Kieth) ...I have to fly out again for an off-roaad fundraiser (Adventure for the Cure, hence my signature line below) and then I am working the AMA Womens Conference in Keystone, CO, so I will miss the first 1/3 of the CDT. Not to worry, ADV folks, Questor is the one that does the brilliant ride reports anyway. But I DO worry about him traveling alone and also I'd like to go/be with him. Alas...

We *have* talked about going to Big Bend Ntnl Park after CDT (for sure) then about that time it will be time for .......................................
    Baja. (maybe if I inch him down further and further south he'll ride to South America with me in November?!?)