Transamerica Trail 2009 - OCD or not to be.

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Questor, Dec 10, 2008.

1. MotoAdventureGal

MotoAdventureGal Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer:
    They've worked well for me...better when filled with water than without (I traveled the first week with empty coke bottles).

They took a hit when I crashed atop Hermit Pass and one of the seams came undone, but that's my fault not the equipment.

Questor's are wearing through a little after 3500+ miles, but he's got a bony butt...:rofl
  2. MotoAdventureGal

MotoAdventureGal Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Hi Folks,

Don't think Questor is changing girlfriends (or losing his mind, which he may actually do while traveling with ME...) I've changed my ADVrider screenname to MotoAdventureGal to match my web site, motoadventuregal.com.

~a
  3. Tinks

Tinks Demented Snow White

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  4. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
    Hello All.

While the DRZ is doing okay, I've been a little hard on it recently.
    The other day I was doing a steep hill climb, I may have felt the clucth slipping a bit.
    I think it will hold out till the end of the TAT, but with 15K miles on it, it might be a good idea to replace the clutch plates.
    Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be the best way to get this done?

I've never done this repair myself so I am a bit hesitant to tear into it while on the trail.

Thanks in advance.
    Q~
  5. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Are you sure the clutch doesn't just need some adjustment? 15k miles seems awfully early for it to need a rebuild unless you've really been hard on it.

What kind of oil are you running? This can affect clutch performance.

--mark
  6. DR. Rock

DR. Rock Part of the problem

Oddometer:
    I did this on LDF's blueberry before we started Mobius 3. Used an EBC kit, or maybe Barnett, can't remember. Takes about a half hour. Could have done it on the trail, instead, I did it on the street in front of my brother's house. I'd be shocked if you didn't have all the tools in your field repair kit. The only trick is to know that some clutch kits come with all identical drive/driven plates, in which case you have to ditch the cambered anti-chatter rings. The plates in the kit I used matched the stock ones that I was replacing (first plate is different to accommodate the anti-chatter rings, so I reused the anti-chatter rings. ie: the plates a direct swap.

There's a good write-up here on TT. Basic process is drain the oil, remove the brake pedal, (don't forget to replace the return spring... I forgot and her brake light flashed on every time she went over a bump), pull the clutch cover, (has a rubber "o-ring" gasket, not paper), unbolt the springs, pull off the pressure plate, soak the new plates in oil before installing, install the new plates like the ones you removed (including or not including the anti-chatter rings as appropriate), install the pressure plate with new springs included with your clutch kit, torque close enough... I can't remember if the spring bolts are supposed to be extra tight or not, but I remember looking it up, and then using common sense rather than an official torque wrench.

Replace the clutch cover, brake pedal and oil. Piece of cake.

If you need to borrow my 4-year-old nephew to help keep track of the clutch cover bolts, he's all yours. I had him draw a diagram 'cause some of the bolts are long and some are short. Kept him busy. :D

[​IMG]
  7. Questor

Oddometer:
    Hey Mark,
    I'm not totally sure the clutch is slipping...
    I was riding the forest roads and trails in the mountains above Vail, while MotoAdventureGal was away on business.
    It was a hard day of riding with many solid crashes.
    I broke off both rear turn signals, cracked the front windscreen, bent the bark busters and the front brake lever, and bent the shift lever as well.
    I may have hit my head too many times. :lol3
    I was a bit gripped and was starting to worry about the bike.
    It's probably OK, but I tend to worry about things.
    Especially my only source of transportation, as we head into Utah, and Nevada. It gets pretty remote out there and I don't want to get stranded.

I'll keep checking it, but you may be right. It should last till I get to the Pacific Ocean.

Thanks for the positive thoughts. :thumb

Q~
  8. Questor

Oddometer:
    Oh Doctor! :raabia

:lol3

Q~
  9. klrmtn

klrmtn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the updates. I've been looking at these for awhile now, much cheaper than a custom seat. I've already spent a significant amount trying to improve it, so I hate to throw it out and start over. Sweet cheeks may be the answer, and you two seem to be testing them out very well. :clap Keep riding and having fun.
    Jason
  10. Questor

Oddometer:
    Hello All.

I'm just writing to let you all know that we are still alive. :lol3

It's been a tough week. Utah has not been easy.
    When in Moab we rode the White Rim Trail. It was amazing. :eek1
    Lots of adventures. Lots of pictures.

Then we continued West. Well at least as best as we could...
    [​IMG]

I'll be sure to tell the whole story once I have more time...
    Stay tuned...

Q~
  11. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Impressive, Q -- how did you manage to find a river of chocolate pudding to ride through? :rofl

--mark
  12. Questor

Oddometer:
    He *almost* rode through the wash with 2+ feet of water rushing through it on top of the pudding...MotoAdventureGal to the rescue!
  13. Vinnie the Snake

Vinnie the Snake Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like I told you. Sometimes the TAT gives and then sometimes it takes, but it always gives more than it takes. I can't wait for the RR.:clap
  14. Questor

Oddometer:
    Hello Friends.

I just wanted to let you all know that we made it to Port Orford Oregon. :clap

[​IMG]
    It was a long and often difficult trip, but well worth the effort.
    I'll get around to posting the Ride Report when I get the time, probably around November.

Right now I'm of to Montana to meet up with friends, repair the bike, and then start the Contintal Divide Trail. :thumb
  15. olebiker

olebiker Old buzzard bait

Oddometer:
    Both in one season now I am jealous. Have a great ride.
  16. DR. Rock

DR. Rock Part of the problem

Oddometer:
    Congratulations! :beer

PS: if you didn't get the text message, a 112 link 520 chain works fine with the 15/47 set-up. Take care,
    d
  17. Vinnie the Snake

Vinnie the Snake Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very Cool, Glad you made it. Was just about to bust you all about no updates. Be safe and enjoy.:ear :ear
  18. La Donna Fugata

La Donna Fugata You're not the boss of me

Oddometer:
    Congratulations to the both of you. :wings Looking forward to the details in the upcoming ride report.

Safe travels out there.

LDF
  19. Questor

Oddometer:
    Hello All.:wave

I just wanted to thank all the great folks who helped, and made this trip a success.

The list includes, but is not limited to:
    Dr. Rock, Docking Pilot, Seth S, Vinnie the Snake, Bendejo, Hay Duke, Dziner, Jockalocka, Scoon 66, and many others.

And of course a very special thank you to my riding partner, Motoadventuregal, who put up with my mood swings and helped take care of me. :thumb
    And of course Sam, for creatiing such a wild ride... :clap

Q~
  20. Tinks

Tinks Demented Snow White

Oddometer:
    I'll give scoon a big wet sloppy kiss for you. :lol3