Transamerica Trail 2009 - OCD or not to be.

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Questor, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
    Hello All.

After completing the TAT the bike needed maintenance.
    The bike needed a new chain, sprockets, brake pads, and tires.
    While in Port Orford I ordered new parts and had them shipped to a friend in Bozeman MT.

I made the trip from Port Orford OR, to Bozeman MT in three and a half days. That's something like 1200 miles.
    On the final day I noticecd that the rear sproket was VERY worn. I feared I was not going to be able to make it to Bozeman. :eek1

Well, I did make it here, and I did do the required mantenance. After 10,000 miles, the DRZ needed some extra love.

[​IMG]

Here's what the rear sprocket looked like. :eek1
    [​IMG]
    ( I think I got my moneys worth out of it, eh?)
    And the brake pads.

[​IMG]

But after a few hours the bike had all the shiny new parts on it.
    A new chain and sprocket.
    [​IMG]
    New Tires.
    [​IMG]

And new brake pads.
    [​IMG]
    Much better.... :clap
    Almost ready to tackle the Continantal Divide Trail. :ricky
    Q~
  2. olebiker

olebiker Old buzzard bait

Oddometer:
    Just wondered if you started the TAT with new chain and sprockets?
  3. flyinfuzz

flyinfuzz 2 Quarts low

Oddometer:
    Hey Q glad you all made it. Looks like you really did get everything out of your stuff. Looking forward to the RR. :deal Andy
  4. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Hey Q, what kind of tire is that? How does it do on pavement?

--mark
  5. Questor

Oddometer:
    Hey Mark, and olebiker

The tire is a Dunlop 606. Fine on the road. Not loud. Wears well. $80.
    My other favorite is the Pirelli MT-21. Also wears well. $85
    Both these rear tires tend to last about 2500 miles before they become too rounded to work for off-road. (They still stick on pavement though, so I have been saving the %50 worn tires and shipping them home.)

The drivetrain was all new when I started.
    I should note that the rear chainring was aluminium. But once it started to come apart, it did so in about 400 miles. Chain had multiple stiff links and such at the end.

All set or CDT. I hear north to the Canadian border this afternoon to get started headed south... :ricky

Q~
  6. Wrathchild

Wrathchild Ogri Rules!

Oddometer:
  7. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
  8. MotoAdventureGal

MotoAdventureGal Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Questor and I made it to Port Orford, and while in some ways it was a big relief, in others is was disappointing. Even though we'd had a mighty adventure and met many many great folks along the trail, it was a let down to be at the "end".

It was also where Questor and I would split up and ride separately. Questor is now in Montana (and how about an update o'boyriend o'mine???) circling up to start the Continental Divide Trail and I've ridden 1500 miles (yeup, quite a ride on the little DR350 that could) back to Colorado to take part in the "Adventure for the Cure" offroad ride to raise funds to find a cures for cancer ( It's a HUGE effort on the part of 12 female riders--please donate!! http://www.firstgiving.com/ ).

Questor will pick me up in Keystone, CO at the end of the AMA Women's conference next week, and I'll get to ride the rest of the CDT with him. I can't wait to see him :raabia:raabia:raabia
  9. Questor

Oddometer:
    That's kinda cool! :thumb

Once again the ADV collective is asimilating.
    It never ceases to amaze me how this ADV / Internet thing can be so omnipresent.

Right now, I'm in Bozeman MT. Just finished thw first two days of the CDT.
    On monday I rode up to Eureka MT / Canadian border.
    Tuesday I started the CDT, and by the end of the day made it into the National Forest south of Lincoln.

Today I'm in Bozeman, about 100 miles from the CDT. The trail has been fast so far. Perfectly graded National Forest trails, and some lightly used County Roads. Finding camping has been easy. 250 mile days are not hard.

I'll catch up on E-mail and phone calls here in Bozeman for another day or so, and then continue the CDT south, to eventually hook up with Motoadventuregal in Colorado. :feelgood
    It's about 1200 miles south, so I've got to work out the timing.

Thanks everyone for keeping an eye on me. :wave
    Q~
  10. Vinnie the Snake

Vinnie the Snake Long timer

Oddometer:
    Be Safe mate. Keep us posted when possible. You got the number, call if you need anything. I will be in Colorado for a ride, in two weeks, you will probably be long gone.

Remember, camp is still open here if you all need it.
  11. Questor

Oddometer:
    Hello Mr. Snake. :wave

We might still be in the Colorado area in two weeks.
    I'll stay in touch. It would be cool to see you again. :thumb

Q~
  12. MotoAdventureGal

Oddometer:
    I thought your Vintage TAT was September?!? It would be great to see you in person to thank you again for all your sage advice. Our trip was a LOT easier thanks to your good advice! ~a
  13. NOTAR_520

NOTAR_520 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think this qualifies as a close encounter. Congrats on making the coast, and I can't wait to see the Pictures on the CDR.

[​IMG]
  14. Questor

Oddometer:
    Cool again! :thumb

We were leaving little notes on all the "Bridge Out" areas too.
    Apparently Juniorsktm (Frank) saw a few of them when he was behind us for a week.

I'm missing the TAT already...
    It's going to be a long winter...
    Q~
  15. Vinnie the Snake

Oddometer:
    2009 - Vintage TAT Ride is first couple weeks in October this year. Adding some miles to it. Should be fun on the old smokers:wink: . Wont be so pressed for time. Then next year back West to finish what I started and got interupted by the collar bone:pissed .
  16. BigWan

BigWan The Cripple Maker

Oddometer:
    Me, too!
    At least you're still out riding :D
    Looking forward to reading your ride reports when you get back.
    be safe!
  17. Vinnie the Snake

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed the ride, thanks for taking time to share with us.
  18. MotoAdventureGal

Oddometer:
    We stayed overnight with some lovely folks I met on the road (David and Susan). They're doing an amazing documentary on people who have changed their lives and are now pursuing their next adventure--www.theNextUs.com

Last week in Gunnison they video interviewed me--pretty cool and very inspiring stuff...so is their own inspirational story. it's amazing how the more I / we break out the more people I /We meet that are following similar paths--following their hearts and pursuing their passions.
  19. Questor

Oddometer:
    Hey All. :wave

I'm sorry I have not been able to post any updates but we have been putting on lots of miles every day as we head back home to CT. As we are camping we have not had much access to Internet. That and the constant routine of riding, eating, maintenance, and sleeping have not left us much time to stop and check in.

We did finish the Continental Divide Trail and it was very nice. Not as difficult as the TAT, but still worth doing. Except for a few sections of New Mexico, I would say that the CDT is big bike friendly.

One signifigant change has been that I have a new bike.:wink:
    We were in Silver City New Mexico, and we stopped at a KTM dealership to get more inner tubes.
    They had a KTM 950 ADV that was just dying to have exciting travels, and it promised to be my best friend if I would take it home with me.
    I talked it over with my trusty DRZ. The DRZ said it was tired after doing 16,000 miles of dirt on the TAT and CDT, and it wanted to take a rest and possibly retire in thre warm dry heat of New Mexico.
    So we worked out a trade, and now I'm riding the KTM! :thumb

We are currently in San Antonio Texas, and will head East along the coast into Louisiana and Mississippi. From there we will take the Natchez Trace up towards the Smokies and the Blue Ridge Parkway...

Question: Does anyone along our route have a KTM 950 that would be willing to help me get to know the mechanics of my new bike better?
    I'd like to be able to do my own oil changes and would appreciate some basic instruction. If so, send me a PM. I'll supply the beer. :beer

Thanks All.
    Q~
  20. RockyNH

RockyNH Older Than Dirt!

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the KTM, what a fititng present to conclude your great Adventure!