TransAmerica Trail

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Scary Mc, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Scary Mc

Scary Mc Resist Much. Obey Little. -Whitman Supporter

Oddometer:
    Has anyone been on any sections of this trail? If so whats it like?

Thanks- Scary

TransAmerica Trail
  2. Rob Z

Rob Z Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Scary,
    Are you thinking about riding some of this? If so, stay in touch as I would like to also.
  3. Scary Mc

Oddometer:
    I'm considering it. I emailed Sam and he is sending me the free info packet. I'm assuming that the maps and roll sheets are going to run a fair bit 'o cash.

I'm looking for a good ride this summer and this might be it...
    I'll let you know what the info tells me.

-Scary
  4. Scary Mc

Oddometer:
    The map set costs $430 bucks. Ouch. But I suppose a hell of a lot of work went into creating the map set.

Maybe I'll spring for it...

-Scary
  5. Chopperman

Chopperman Hostile. But not Stupid

Oddometer:
    Did you read how he made the route? 5 years trying various bits and gaining permissions and whatnot till he finally made the route. All that effort...430 is cheap. And I believe you can just get sections that you are interested in. Like I want to do the Oregon section sometime soon.
  6. Scary Mc

Oddometer:
    I'm not discounting all of the work that Sam put into the project, and I'm sure that the price is more than justified. But it is a good bit of change.

-Scary
  7. Chopperman

Chopperman Hostile. But not Stupid

Oddometer:
    Sorry. Didn't intend it to come across like that...I was just adding info.
  8. Rob Z

Rob Z Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :(: I'll be pressed to get my wife to let me go. Would never get her to spring for a $400 map.

Keep me posted. If we hook up I'll help you recoop some of your cost. Call it a tour guide fee:smile6

Rob Z.
  9. eap

eap El Adventurero Solitario Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey now there's an honest man. I'm thinking of an event for my 50th B-day and this idea intrigues me so I'm gonna give this some thought - maybe in the fall..... or maybe just a dream....:):
    Consider me subscribed to this thread. :ear
  10. Scary Mc

Oddometer:
    Rob- Sounds like you need to renegotiate your contract. Before I married Bridgett I told her upfront that I spend alot of time on the road, and that if she doesn't like it she should marry somebody else. She never gives me shit about leaving for a trip, she understands that if I don't get to go riding I become an insufferable asshole (more so than usual).

I am thinking about riding the length of the trail, east to west in the fall...

A lucky man I am- Scary

Oh yeah, don't tell Pep that she's a redhead...
  11. DirtyPup

DirtyPup Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got my sample map kit in the mail last week from Sam. Pretty cool to be sure. Also, don't sweat the $424 cost because if you don't have 3 weeks time to do the entire 4400 miles then just buy the appropriate subset of the 105 total maps. The $424 total cost includes maps, roll charts, and refrence lists for lodging, etc.

Besides, it would seem to me that half of you have the High Dollar Oilhead GS bikes here, so what the hell is the beef over costs for maps when you can drop $15K to $18K on a bike that has truck brakes!?! <LOL>

Here is some stuff from the summary sheet just to pique your interest... Call Sam if you have questions or want an info sheet, or better yet send him mail.

Map
    State Count Cost Mi
    TN 6 $22 200
    Miss 9 $36 217
    Ark 12 $49 472
    OK 20 $59 750
    NM 1 $12 65
    CO 12 $4 775
    UT 15 $59 589
    NV 19 $69 695
    OR 11 $69 575

Looks like I may be riding up to Moab UT from N. TX area for one or two events in the next 2 months and I am definately going to consider doing some of the Trans-America Trail legs up and/or back.

If anyone things they might be willing to join up at some point then check out my posts under "Upcoming Events" for "Canyonland Motor Classic" and "UTMA Moab" events.
    If you are thinking of hauling a dirt bike then let me know, maybe we can meet someplace and split the distance.

I'll probably be riding the '92 R100 GS for the Canyonland Classic
    and I may be using the van to haul a KLR650 that is setup for dirt only for the UTMA ride, not sure yet... nothing is cast in stone... so talk to me if you are interested and think that you can do either of: handle hundreds of miles of dirt on the way, share a vehicle to haul an off road equiped bike not suitable for highway use, ride together, split the cost of a campsite at the Canyonland Classic, or just hang out, ride, and drink beer once you get there.
    I am rapidly acquiring a shitload of maps for the Moab area rides, so post something at the events section entries if you want to dialog off line.

I gotta inspect and possibly replace a couple sets of headset bearings, buy and change 4 tires, do a leakdown test on the KLR to figure out where the oil is going and what needs fixing first, maybe do rings, maybe do valve guides on the KLR... then I will be ready for some Moab madness.

Ohh, and some more teaser stuff... check out these pics to see if you wanna ride with the UTMA 100% off road weenies! These are from their version of an Ouray trip.

http://utma.net/colopics4.htm
    http://utma.net/colopics3.htm

Joel
    Who now wants to sell his KLR and get an XR 650R,
    that runs 50 HP at the wheel at a mere 271 dry weight,
    license it in Newhampshire, and then use it everywhere
    else, but who still loves his Airhead GS moose of an off
    road bike, and the KLR for that matter...
  12. DirtyPup

DirtyPup Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Check out this link. I think I seem to recall Mark Sampson from a Dual SPort News context, not sure... anyway he and his buddy are starting in Moab and heading to the north rim of the Grand Canyon on a DRZ400S and a DR650S that is modified into a larger bore.

http://www.acworld.net/members/didi/Moab.htm

Anyway, I wish those guys luck and I can't wait to hear just how the F*uck they got gas for their whopping 4 gallon tanks out in the middle of the canyon lands. :huh

I did a river trip a few years back where I got to fly back from Crystal above Lake Mead back up the canyon to a dirt stip below Glen Canyon Dam. Definately the best aereal viewing I have ever had, and I can assure you that there aren't no Exon's in that stretch!
  13. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    I'm really interested in the ability of riding a GS on portions of the TransAmerica Trail. I plan on doing a cross county trip in the next couple of years, and would like to include some unpaved sections. For me, I'd be alone, with no chase truck, and doing a lot of camping along the way.

If anyone has any advice on this, please let me know.
  14. DirtyPup

DirtyPup Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well there were some sections in COlorado that I am pretty sure you won't want to do with a GS. I'd talk send Sam some mail and see what sections are probably more suited for a 500+Lb bike with a load of gear. Some of that route would be challenging on a 250cc dirt bike.