Transit Suit is Back!

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ikonoklass, Sep 5, 2019.

1. ikonoklass

ikonoklass Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer:
    I haven't seen a thread on this yet. The only thing I have to contribute is regret that I bought new Klim gear last year. I LOVE my Klim stuff, but would absolutely have waited and gone with Andy Goldfine's product had I only known. Oh well!
    slime, Bluesmudge and Norsman like this.
  2. Doug Just Doug

Doug Just Doug Silly Party Candidate Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. PdxMotor

PdxMotor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes I'm excited about this suit. But it costs enough that I am waiting for reviews, and a popup to come close to me to try one on before deciding.
  4. BMW-K

BMW-K F800GS FTW!

Oddometer:
    Ummmm...the Transit was terminated a while back. A couple years ago now I think.

Did Andy re-release the Transit somehow? Is there a new supplier of the Gore-Leather?

If you have links, please provide them. We can be rest assured, the ADV Crowd want to know!

<<edit>>

Wait..is it true? https://www.aerostich.com/transit-features

Are they really re-releasing the Transit??
  5. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, they are
    Peanut_Buttery likes this.
  6. scottdc

scottdc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Trying to figure out how to raise some funds. I'm getting due for a new suit and I regret not getting a Transit before they were discontinued. Andy is really good at separating me from my money.
    slime likes this.
  7. mminob

mminob MotoHolic

Oddometer:
    Ouch, 2000 bucks , yikes ... interesting technology in the design and materials though ! :thumb
  8. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Interesting.

Anyone have first hand experience with the previous Transit?
  9. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You mean other than Neil Peart?

:D
    ezwicky, Oilhed, slime and 1 other person like this.
  10. Doug Just Doug

Oddometer:
    I bought a Transit v.2 when they came out. Love it. Anything specific?
  11. PdxMotor

PdxMotor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes,

What climate do you ride in?
    What bike do you ride?
    Can you compare how hot it gets vs the Roadcrafter?

Thanks.
  12. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    How well does it deal with hot and humid compared to a regular gore shell a la Darien or KILM Overlander? Likewise, is it good down to freezing with say heated liners and a base layer (assuming there isn't room to really layer up).
    slime likes this.
  13. Doug Just Doug

Oddometer:
    I ride all year (so long as the roads are most clear of ice/snow), but I don't wear the Transit in all temps. I have a closet full of gear (I'm a whore like I said) so I can choose what works best for given conditions. I typically wear my Transit suit when temps are in the 45-80F range.

I've worn my Transit on my prior bike, a Kawasaki ZR-7S, and on my current bike, a 3rd gen Versys 650.

I think the Transit wears slightly warmer than the RC ("classic" RC; I have no experience with the unlined R3), but it's close. With the back and pit zips open, cuffs open and wearing short-gauntlets, and the main zip lowered a couple of inches, the Transit flows air pretty well. It also helps that I never wear cotton anything anymore under my riding gear. Neither the RC nor the Transit can handle high temps as well as the Darien in my experience.
    slime likes this.
  14. Doug Just Doug

Oddometer:
    No experience with Klim. I've worn Dariens for probably close to 200K miles over many years, and no waterproof jacket I've ever worn is better in high temps. The Transit isn't a good cold-weather suit IMO, chiefly because it lacks layering room and doesn't have a flap on the main zipper. I've worn mine down to about 40F with a high-tech base layer like LC Comfort and an Aerostich Windstopper Jersey and a neck tube. Like I said above, I have a lot of gear to choose from. If the Transit were my only suit, I'd probably try to push it down to the mid-30s, perhaps by adding a silk layer over the LD Comfort stuff; there wouldn't be room for much else. I've never owned heated gear so I can't comment on how that would work or fit. Also, I seem to have a high tolerance for cold temps (I ride in sub-freezing temps frequently, with no heated stuff, not even grips or gloves), so this is all very subjective.
    slime likes this.
  15. Tripped1

Oddometer:

Thanks, debating doing a closet clearout to fund one.
    slime likes this.
  16. 309

309 Special Purpose

Oddometer:
    I just scored a set of first generation Transit pants from an inmate here. I already have a good leather jacket that matches well so I'll skip the Transit jacket. I don't ride in rain enough to need it.

Just chiming in to say if you're on the fence, go for the Transit stuff. This is the nicest set of riding pants I've ever had. I've looked for over the boot sport styled leather pants forever and these are the first to fit the bill.

I've got countless hours in both Roadcrafter and Darien suits. I've also owned street leathers and a custom roadrace suit from Vanson. I know a couple of things about good gear. This is as good as it gets.
    slime and Peanut_Buttery like this.
  17. dustin2

dustin2 VFR800

Oddometer:
    That's really cool that they're bringing the Transit back. My Roadcrafter Classic has been the best piece of motorcycle kit I've ever owned.
    slime likes this.
  18. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    slime likes this.
  19. S/W

S/W Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought the price was steep, although there are lots of leather jackets you can pay more for. Today, I saw an ad from a large motorcycle gear store that was advertising motorcycle pants. I thought I would see what leather pants might cost. As I went through their many styles and brands I noticed that RUKKA had waterproof pants, which were made out of the same laminate as the Transit . The price ? about $ 250. more than the Transit. They listed a jacket also and that was also about $250 more than Aerostiches Transit.
    I checked into the Rukka more closely , the Rukka is more elaborate than the Transit, having a removable liner. I don't know if it warrants the higher price.
    MotorcycleWriter likes this.
  20. S/W

S/W Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ordered a Transit 3, was told they were expecting to ship the middle of November. After researching leather motorcycle jackets for a few days, the price doesn't
    seem so high compared to other high end jackets which might only be better in fashion.