TransLab HWY - How Challenging Is it?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by klrobins, Nov 12, 2007.

1. klrobins

klrobins Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm considering going to NFLD this summer... Although my planning so far is only very preliminary, I've got it in my head that I'd like to ride there along RTE 389 from Baie-Comeau to Lab City. How difficult is this ride? I've heard mixed reviews. How long would it take me? Are there stops on the way?

About me: No offroad experience (yet), but I've got a sweet 1200GS that is just dying to get dirty!!!

Any info positive or negative about this ride would be AWESOME!

Thanks in advance!
    Kristi
  2. Ride2ADV

Ride2ADV World Shrinkers Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    If we haven't been there, it's on the list.
    Kristi,

My wife (Kim) and I did it this year. It was a hoot! Ride report here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240316&highlight=atlantic+canada+loop

The first question I'd have to ask you is how much road and big bike experience do you have? Kim had a little off road experience (enduro) on a much smaller KX100 for a couple of years. That being said, she has 25 years of road experience and completed the TLH trip on a F650GS and fell of only once (at low speed).

The weather can change the road conditions quickly and we were constantly in rain. Some of the road is very good and you can go 100+ KPH. Other sections are pretty poor especially after the graders have gone through (often when its raining).

So ask yourself how comfortable you are on a big bike and try out some of the gravel stuff before you go. There are places to stop and people are always willing to help. However, I'd suggest you bring emergency camping gear and provisions because there are locations where it can be more than 200 kilometers between hotels and the like.

If you like, PM us and we'd be happy to share our route, where we stayed and all that good stuff.

Whatever your decision... HAVE FUN!!!!!!

Mike and Kim :wings
  3. klrobins

klrobins Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been riding for four years... had a 600Hurricane, then a VFR, now the 1200GS... I've got 16000km on the GS since March, all on road (except at campgrounds and stuff)... no offroad, but I plan to do a weekend in the spring at a local place.

I dropped the 600 once (goofy slow turn on slanty driveway) and the GS once (exactly the same goofy slow turn on slanty campsite entrance).

I'll go check out your trip report now.
  4. TomN

TomN Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's not bad, can have some loose deeper gravel in parts but we ran 65 - 70 mph the whole way, I would get in some gravel practice before you go. We did Happy Valley to Manic 5 in one long day. Had 50/50 tires on the bike, made me feel better.
  5. disconnected

disconnected brap

Oddometer:
    Tom I have been researching this trip for 08 too..

6. TomN

TomN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Give me a call we can chat about it, did you read the trip report we did?

7. xdbx

xdbx Motorcycle Connoisseur

Oddometer:
    Michigander interested in the trip as well. I'll check out the report later this week, but I say bring it on. We could perhaps arrange a little ADV TransLab attack to capture the gravel before its gone
  8. TomN

TomN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Greg, you still got my number?
  9. perobins

perobins Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mike: Kristi and I heard or read in an article that the road to Lab City will be paved starting sometime in 2008. Any information regarding this?

Thanks,

Phil & Kristi
  10. disconnected

disconnected brap

Oddometer:
    No, the phone it was on was ruined by motorcycling in the rain... :beer
  11. Ride2ADV

Ride2ADV World Shrinkers Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    If we haven't been there, it's on the list.
    Phil/Kristi,

I hadn't heard about any additional paving. However, I do know a couple of folks from my travels that may have some info and I can inquire for you.

Could what you read have been about the opening of the gravel stetch from Goose Bay to Cartwright (and vice versa)? Presently, you have to take an one of 2 overnight ferries that run only 2 or 3 days a week (I think). I think the new stretch of road is supposed to open in summer of 2009 (page 4 of our ride report).

In the interim, you can check out www.ridetherock.com. That's where I'll head. I've got a couple of buds there and they will probably know. Also, here's a link that we used in our planning. I'll send you both more later.

http://www.tlhwy.com/

Mike