TransLabrador Highway Extension Goose Bay - Cartwright

Discussion in 'Canada' started by StephenB, Jan 4, 2007.

1. StephenB

StephenB G(/)S ... what else!

Oddometer:
    In preparation of our trip to Labarador in September 2007 I contacted the local Transportation and Works Office in Goose Bay concerning the Translabrador Highway extension from Goose Bay to Cartwright (which effectively replaces the ferry):

Work started in 2004: the 280km are planned to be finished at the end of 2009. They have started from both ends back then and have completed 120km of road so far. By the end of October, the entire service line, call it a rough cut through the terrain, shall be finished. There will still be rivers to cross and very rough terrain even for a dirt bike so the Government Official I spoke to raised serious concerns about wether one can get through on the service line before those areas are being worked on properly.

So, if you'd wondered what's happening there, you're fully up-to-date now!

Stephen
  2. moosehead

moosehead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    south of the checkerboard....Bruce Penninsula
    Good information about the Happy Valley/Goosebay to Cartwright connection,

Did they mention anything about paving the TransLabrador in 2008? Rumour has it that they will pave it eventually. What a shame but then again probably gooood for the region economically and maybe more toourism (4 wheel variety).

Sounds like your new plan would be fun too and bit easier on time, would be intersting what you find on some of the roads north of the TLH!

We're thinking about going up along St Lawrence again this year all the way to the end of 138 at Havre (?) and then take ferry over to Anticosti Island. Don't know why but I guess we talked about it last year. Only problem with that is is all deadend touring. Ferry only goes to Anticoati Island and back. We thought we might be able to get ferry from Anticosti over to Gaspe Penninsula and then home - never been to Gaspe region. Time always the limiting factor as both boys working now and 2 weeks is all we can come up with if even that.

We really enjoy the scenary and views along the north shore so we thought we would go as far as we could on 138. Maybe dumb idea this year. Maybe just go directly to Gaspe. Ever been there?

OK have fun on the trip.
    Bob
  3. Viking

Viking Ækt trønder!!

Oddometer:
    Is there a way to go from Labrador along the St. Lawrence without going to NF?
    Maybe a ferry?
  4. StephenB

Oddometer:
    Bob,

I haven't asked about paving, I didn't want them to get the wrong idea! Who needs paved roads?

Never been to any of the areas you mention. However, another of my long weekend is reserved for St James Bay, I hope it's going to happen this year. We're planning for the mid June weekend.

And I think by then, I will have exhausted my resources (financially and maritally) with these two trips. I might be able to sneak one or two 1-day overnighters or something in.

I will come up to Owen Sound to meet with you in spring, that's for sure! You still owe me the name of that BMW lacing/trueing guy up in ... I forgot, somewhere in your neck of the woods.

Stephen
  5. StephenB

Oddometer:
    Natashquant to Blanc-Sablon - a freighter/ferry that stops at most of the outports along the way. But that is Northern Quebec, not Labrador!

Is that what you mean, because Labrador has no St Lawrence shoreline if I am not mistaken! Except for the Strait of the Belle Isle if you consider that an extension of the St Lawrence river which it really isn't.

[​IMG]

I am no expert on that region and might be wrong, though.

So, what's your question again?

6. Viking

Viking Ækt trønder!!

Oddometer:
    Yes, I am a bit rusty on the Canadian geography but I am learning one trip at the time.

And thanks you answered my questions.

You should have a great trip to James Bay in June, I was there in September and you can see the pics here:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106586&page=45

It went on for 3 days and every day was an experience that I had not encountered before.
  7. thm

thm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Taken in August 2006:

[​IMG]

BTW, they keep extending the completion date, so I would say that 2009 is the current guesstimate.

THM
  8. Snuffy

Snuffy Long timer

Oddometer:
    250km? Is that the distance from HV/ GB to Cartwright? If so, doesn't seem like a gas issue.
  9. moosehead

Oddometer:
    Stephen I look forward to seeing you up here. Can cruise The Bruce for awhile. Petersen's Motorworks are the shop. They did my son's front wheel a few years ago. Send me PM and I'll get contact info for you.
    Bob
  10. moosehead

Oddometer:
    Viking, there is a ferry that runs from Natashquan to Blanc-Sablon. Natashquan is on Hwy #138 past Sept-Iles (quite a ways in fact) and that ferry/freighter runs along the north shore of the St Lawrence to Blanc-Sablon which is the end of the Trans Labrador. So you could do the TLH "circle" without crossing to Newfoundland.
    Last year on the TLH I met 2 guys from Quebec in Blanc-Sablon who had taken that ferry from Natashquan.
    The scenary is fantastic along there and the ride from Baie Comeau to Sept-Iles is neat too.
    Bob
  11. Viking

Viking Ækt trønder!!

Oddometer:
    Thats what I was thinking, looking at the map it looks like a really nice ride. It would certainly make this a shorter trip and you will avoid the long trek across the south shore, NB and NS.
    I see a trip in the future.:evil :evil
    Thanks
  12. thm

thm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not that this should alter your plans, but if you take that ferry be prepared to be suprised by the other people on the boat. I know of a couple of people who took that ferry and the other clientele were, ummm, "interesting" to say the least. To be politically correct I won't go into further detail.

THM
  13. Global Rider

Global Rider Alps Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Canada & the Alps - N 46° 31.714' E 010° 27.212'
    That certainly looks different. The last time I saw that red and white sign was in August of 2003 and it had nothing but trees behind it. It also said "Completion Scheduled 2008".

Lets hope that they don't pave it or you'll see nothing but cars and RVs on it.
  14. StephenB

Oddometer:
    Alex, I'm afraid that's what they are going to do in the end: their only chance to make a couple of bobs - tourism. With a paved road, LabCity and Happy Valley are accessible for pop and gran. We are going there before the rush, that's for sure!

Stephen
  15. thm

thm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For those interested, here is the Labrador government handout on road conditions as of Aug. 2006.

[​IMG]

THM
  16. Klasjm

Klasjm R100gs

Oddometer:
    I have a 2006 Labrador Road Report posted here: Labrador

Lots of pictures, enjoy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  17. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
  18. Klasjm

Klasjm R100gs

Oddometer:
  19. atadloco

atadloco Ouch.. Ta Daaaaaa..

Oddometer:
    Stephen, Is the road from Goose Bay to Cartwright open yet? Have you been talking to the "locals".
  20. StephenB

Oddometer:
    Yes, I did speak to the Office Manager of Transportation Canada (who I believe is also the Project Manager for that project) in Happy Valley Goose Bay. He told me about the delays up to 2009. Back at the beginning of summer there were 50 or so km left for the first rough cut through the bush.

So, no, the road isn't ready yet.