TransLabrador Highway Extension Goose Bay - Cartwright

Discussion in 'Canada' started by StephenB, Jan 4, 2007.

1. totem

totem Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is a little early in the planning stage but I think I'll do the TLH myself. We are going to NFLD around July 5 or so, family around Rocky Harbour. I think I'll leave from there and go CCW say around July 10-15 leave date. Anyone else going to be in the Rocky Harbour area about than and going CCW?

I'll be riding a Honda Varadero XL1000VA. I think I'll put on a fresh set of TKC 80s in Rocky Harbour before I depart on the TLH.

JimmieA.
  3. JimmieA

Oddometer:
    Well I bought the TKC80s this morning for the trip. I think I'll leave Moncton June 30th and go CW. I have a Marine Atlantic reservation NFLD to NS on July 9th 1:30 AM to return. Cost $100 with a sleeper room.

Looks like I'll miss Atlanticade this year in St Stephen but it is a money trap and mostly cruisers there with no mufflers. I'll be able to get to the Atlantic Nationals though as that runs July 8-11th.

Be nice to have a riding companion if anyone can swing it.

JimmieA.
  4. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    hey Jimmie, go put up a post on ridetherock.com and see if you find anyone to ride with on the island there.
  5. JimmieA

Oddometer:
    Not much riding on the island this time. TLH and visit the relations and than home. I haven't visited her mother since early 90's so she thinks I'm do. I have a kinda dead beat brother in law so I have been avoiding the place because I'm mad at him.

JimmieA.
  6. skibum69

Oddometer:
    it is what it is, there are a few RTR members on the west coast you might be able to hook up with for some riding.
  7. DantesDame

DantesDame Ridin' Fool Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pics of the new road - it looks awesome!

Dan and I will be doing this trip next year, so I'm following along and scavenging information. A couple of questions that haven't been answered very clearly yet:

- Accommodations: camping vs motel, etc. What are the options? I'd hate to drag all of the gear there only to find that unless we plan on camping by the side of the road each night, campsites are not very convenient.

- Bugs: I read that "the bugs weren't bad yet". While I realize that there are always bugs, what *could* be the optimum window to avoid the majority of them? And how does this compare with The Perfect Weather Window? :lol3

Oh, an afterthought question: I usually run Tourances on my 1150GS. Will these be adequate or will I really kick myself for not having TKCs? :ear
  8. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I spent 2 nights taking up offers of a bed from locals and one on the Cartwright/Goose Bay ferry. As for campsites, this is pretty much all Crown Land and you can pitch a tent anywhere you like. There are motels in the various towns but I didn't bother. Go look at Throttlemeister's 33 1/3 thread and see how he treated sleeping on his trip. I warn you it will take awhile to get through that one.

Bugs are bad earlier in the year, I went in September and they didn't bite me at all when I was a couple of hours on the side of the road.

I firmly believe running knobbier tires is better, you can hit freshly graded gravel anytime anywhere and if you take sideroads you can hit sand. I like the peace of mind if nothing else.

Plenty of travel info on ridetherock.com too
  9. DantesDame

Oddometer:

:thumb

Sweet, thanks for the information. I'll go look up Throttle's report this weekend and check out RTR (I already knew of them, but haven't explored their site yet)
  10. skibum69

Oddometer:
    "them" would be the local NL forum, up over 800 members now of mostly good folks
  11. totem

totem Adventurer

Oddometer:

Bugs : For the bugs, if I can be more specific for the time I was there this year : There was almost no black flies whatsoever during the day. During the evening, I saw a few moskidos, but the cold quickly got them very shy so no bother there either. I didn't use bugspray at all on this trip, and would be comfortable in a t-shirt around camp. Some lakes where still frozen near Labrador city, so the bugs were not out yet. I was up there from the 7th of June to the 13th of June. Of course, this exact window could change from year to year.

Camping : "Unofficial" campsites are easily found most of the time, but I was somewhat surprised that there was not that many side roads to go in to find a suitable campsite. There were more options as you get closer to towns of course, but I haven't seen "commercial" campsites. Also, those side roads may be more soft and you would then appreciate more aggressive tires to explore. There were more option along the Manikouagan reservoir and also in Newfoundland. Gros Morne of course offers great campsites. Camping gear are great to have for those one-of-a-kind spots. I have found a great campsite on a walking trail going to the Churchill falls. I didn't dare at first untill I saw a four wheeler go up the trail. You can camp with a view of the falls. There are some spots also near the muskrat falls just before HV-GB.

There are a lot of great spots to camp, but sometimes you need a bit of xtra time to explore side roads.

The view from one of the campsite, the Churchill falls.
    [​IMG]
  12. Dave Noel

Dave Noel Giv'er

Oddometer:
    Totem your photos remind me of when I moved to Goose Bay, the road between Churchill and Goose was being improved at that time. Unfortunately I was in a cage. 6.5 hours from Churchill.
  13. DantesDame

Oddometer:
    totem - thanks for the info. I realized that bug season will vary year to year, but your post at least gives me something to aim at :chace
  14. totem

totem Adventurer

Oddometer:

Your welcome! I took the time to look up you website. Nice! I hope you'll enjoy the Trans Labrador Highway as much as other northern places. This was my first trip into remote area. I thought I was hooked to motorcycling before!! :wings :nod

I wish everyone here a great trip in those parts.
  15. DantesDame

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

Yes, my favorite "remote road" so far is the Cassier Highway through BC. Beautiful country over there :thumb

Hopefully this time next year I'll be taking pictures for another Epic Ride Report :ricky
  16. DirtyDR

DirtyDR Dana Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice pictures and report Totem. I'm loaded and 3 more hours I'm on the road up there from Colorado. I should be on Phase III next Wednesday.

[​IMG]
  17. skibum69

Oddometer:
    safe travels, drop in on ridetherock.com when you get close and say hi too, we always like to see who's passing through our fair province:thumb
  18. delock

delock Woodside NB

Oddometer:
    Must be a convention of riders in Goose Bay this weekend. I saw six riders at the info bureau this afternoon. They had just come over the TLH from the west through some heavy rains. This morning I talked to a guy from Long Island on a KTM who was heading out with a friend for Churchill Falls. He said the new section of the road was in good shape. Slow going through the construction zone west of the Cartwright junction.
    Just before supper I drove around a bit and counted another 10 bikes or so parked outside the local hotels and that doesn't include the local campround. Looks like it's going to be a busy summer on the TLH.
  19. JimmieA

Oddometer:
    Well I'll heading there Wed so I hope to see some more ADVers. I have the Honda XL1000VA Varadero set up for adventure. Plan to be in Bay Comeau at 8:00 PM June 30th.

JimmieA.
  20. DantesDame

Oddometer:
    Man, there's going to no adventure left by the time I get there next June! :bluduh