TransLabrador Highway Extension Goose Bay - Cartwright

Discussion in 'Canada' started by StephenB, Jan 4, 2007.

1. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    it'll be paved by then:lol3
  2. totem

totem Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll take some years before it's all paved. Between Labrador city and Churchill falls, they are only working on widening the road. With all the activity because of construction certain areas doesn't feel that much remote. Only the new section between HV-GB and Cartwrith Junction feels more remote and you don't see much traffic, with the exception of the 50km of construction of course.

humm, starting to wonder about this elusive road that goes to Shefferville. I've heard that there is a ATV road or trail that goes up there. Has anyone got information about it?
  3. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I know what you mean, the older narrow sections I rode between Churchill Falls and Lab City felt a lot different than the widened road. I'm still trying to get up to the new section this year
  4. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well I have made the TLH trip with no drama. I am now in Lanse au Loup for the night and head for the island tomorrow 8:00. I just missed dirtyDr by a few hours I guess.

I did 2200 Km from Moncton to Lance au Loup. The main road was good the construction section was slow going. It rained some every day but that cut down on the dust. There are sections that there is gravel around 1.5 to 2 inch in size this is not bike freindly at all. The new construction area is around 30 Km now and has some rough sections. It took me about 1 hour to complete this section and there were a few scary sections of new gravel. When you hit a section of newly laid down 2 inch gravel this sends the bike all over the road.

In the next two to 4 weeks they will be laying down the rest of the 30 Km with the large gravel than the regular gravel. This will be a very bad time for a motorcycle till the packers get that gravel packed down. From what I can see they lay down the gravel, use a grader to leave a 6 inch thick mat of gravel than traffic packs it down. This is not good for a bike in the extreme.

I have some pictures of the road, mostly of the bad section that I will put up later, when I get home.

My opinion is that this is a very do-able trip. Maybe wait till the construction is done in a month or so as the new gravel will be from hell till it is packed down. They are supposted to be paving around 200 Km of the 500 Km between Lab. City and Goose Bay. Local legend is for this year but I saw no paving going on when I went through. They are active bring the road up to standards for paving though­.

My bike is a Honda Varadero and I traveled as light as I could. I had TKC80 tires that were brand new before I left, 500 Km to Bay Comeau. The tires are now at least half worn out at 2200 Km. I have 8 minor cuts on the smooth part of the rear tire`s belts from rocks. The TKC80s are good on the gravel and I was basically in cruise mode the whole trip. Fresh gravel, graded didn`t cause me undue hardship. Just this 1.5-2 inch gravel is from hell.

I was not that impressed with the Que. portion of the road. The 60 Km south of that mine just before Lab. City is just crazy, you cross the same rail road track maybe 15 times in 60 Km. The paved road from Bay Comeau to Manic 5 is really twisty and one turn was greasy from a spill that caused me some grief. I would recommend caution on the Que. portions.

Good trip, recommend it but if you can`t leave right away I would wait till the fresh gravel is laid down in the new construction zone. It really is almost done, maybe 1 month more time.
  5. Canadian FJR

Canadian FJR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update. Leaving Nova Scotia on July 16th.

Canadian FJR
  6. JimmieA

Oddometer:
    Here are the pictures I took from the ride 7/2010. Not too impressive but I'm not too good with a camera, missed lots of whale sighting pictures. Took mostly pictures of the road and not the worst of the construction, sorry but I was busy than!

http://picasaweb.google.ca/stillrn/Labrador2010#
  7. Kyler

Kyler Geezer

Oddometer:
    nice pics - road doesn't look bad in those photos
  8. totem

totem Adventurer

Oddometer:

Your picture are enough to make me miss being there. :cry I'm already planning to go back next year, probably september to catch fall colors. I got to get more info on how the weather is at that time of the year.
  9. Bendrix

Bendrix Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bumped into the Long Island guy in Moncton on Thurs (?) and he had just done the TLH. He said it's fine if you don't mind gravel but more than the 396Km without gas between HV-GB and PHS. I'm in Cape Breton now and will be in Blanc Sablon on Sat July 17 or so to make the trip CCW. I will be interested to see how the winds affect the mileage. Anyone else done it CCW within the last few weeks? Once I've done the TLH my next destination is Prudhoe Bay and then the Tierra del Fuego! Yeah, I've got a ways to go :1drink
  10. totem

totem Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The guy you met is right about the gravel and the 396Km, but that shouldn't scare your GS Adventure. :wink:

I've looked at your blog. Enjoy the TLH and the rest of your trip. :ricky
  11. JimmieA

Oddometer:
    Where your going to have wind is the eastern shore of Lab. This is about 300 Km long from the Que. ferry to Fort Hope Simpson. That wind is from the west to the east and your going north. It can be strong wind from the side. There are no trees to speak of in this area. The closer you get to Fort Hope Simpson the less wind you have. I don't think you'll have to worry about wind anywhere else.

You can get a Sat phone in FHS and return it in Lab City, good to have as no other phones will work. It can be a long loney road. It is 392 Km from FHS to HV/GB I think.

Hotels can be expensive in Happy Valley/Goose Bay. I stayed in a bed and brekfast for $50 instead of $120 + tax for the hotels. The place I stayed at is owned by Mrs. Davis 709 896 5077 the other place is 896 4404.

Make sure you take some food when you leave Red Bay to HV/GB it is around 500+ Km only restaurant is in FHS otherwise.

JimmieA.
  12. skibum69

Oddometer:
    hey Totem, did you have a final tally on total dirt distance by then end of your run? I was thinking 1500 km's?

thanks
  13. totem

totem Adventurer

Oddometer:

Yes, that's close to what I have : 1407km
  14. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    10 days until we head out. Looking forward to each and everyone of those 1400 km's of gravel :)
    What're the gas prices like up there these days?
    Is there a campground is HV-GB ? Might need a shower by the time we reach there.
  15. totem

totem Adventurer

Oddometer:

I haven't seen any. The lady at the tourist office in HV-GB also told me there are none. But now, I'm still not 100% sure. There is a lot of places to camp for sure, but no commercial ones. I was surprise by the lack of commercial campgrounds along that road.

I've stayed at the Goose River Lodge in HV-GB where I rented a cabin for 90$, but camped here and there. There is a great place to camp with a view near the Muskrat Falls.
  16. VTbeemer

VTbeemer Traveler Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is a large piblic campground on the north side of town (Goose Bay) facing the bay.

Take the main rd. north out of town pass the Ferry terminal and Goose River Lodges. It is a few miles out on the right. We poached there on the beach after the season when it was closed up :evil. It seemed like a sort of municpal campground with all facilities. I'm suprised the tourist office did not direct you there.
  17. totem

totem Adventurer

Oddometer:

I thought it was a RV campground. Well, there may be some tent camping space too.
  18. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I wish I were going to be meeting you up there for that ride too, currently sitting in the heliport on weather hold:baldy
  19. Pierregy

Pierregy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for update, I'm thinking of 2 up next year and this was very helpful.

Pierregy

20. sdpc2

sdpc2 Just another Rally Rat

Oddometer:
    Can someone tell me whether or not GPS works up there? What about XM? :ear

thanks in advance.

sdc