TransLabrador Highway Extension Goose Bay - Cartwright

Discussion in 'Canada' started by StephenB, Jan 4, 2007.

1. JTT

JTT Long timer

Oddometer:
    No worries, it's a bit remote, but you won't fall off the end of the earth...satellites will still see you :thumb
  2. Bendrix

Bendrix Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Went through it today. Link shows a part of the Trans Lab from PHS to Goose Bay that is not quite finished. Only about 30km "under construction" and it starts about 90km from Goose Bay. Rest of the section is pretty good but a few bits with a lot of gravel so the bike gets a little loose.

Be careful on the bridge right outside Goose Bay at the beginning of that section of the Trans Lab. Took it in the pouring rain and it was very slick!

http://bhm007.wordpress.com/2010/07/20/duck-duck-goose/attachment/010/
  3. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like your having a good trip. Looks like you liked Rocky Harbbour, that is my wifes home area. Scary story about the BMW Death trap. That's a classic BMW story, right up there with the Harley joke. Glad I have a Honda!

Enjoy the rest of the trip and be safe.

JimmieA.
  4. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    safe travels, enjoy:thumb
  5. bmwblake

bmwblake upside down parker

Oddometer:
    I went thu last week and completely agree. The bridge outside goose bay was the hardest part of the new road. I thought the 30km rough section was a great time. The rest of phase 3 was in much better shapetban some of the other sections of the older phases.

6. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    My XM reception was spotty at times up there but overall worked pretty well.
  7. Serge LeMay

Serge LeMay Dirtmedic

Oddometer:
    Bury, Quebec, Center of the middle of nowhere
    Hurray for iPods:clap
  8. JimmieA

Oddometer:
    Has anyone heard from this dude? He should be well into Que. by now. Last post was near Happy Valley Goose Bay July 20th. Maybe that BMW finally threw him off! Or maybe he discovered a NFLD woman and he's still screwing!

JimmieA.
  9. skibum69

Oddometer:
    no news here or on RTR
  10. JimmieA

Oddometer:
    Well, being a busybody, that I guess I must be. I phoned the RCMP in Goose Bay, the Royal NFLD Constabulary in Lab City and the Que. Police in Fremont to see if they can find this cat. They had no information that they told me about but I gave them his web page so they have all the info that we have.

Brent has been good about posting and now nothing for 4 days. Hope he hasn't come to any trouble.

JimmieA.

Edit. Looks like he is somewhere. He has posted July 23 on his web site at noon. He responded to someone that "its a long story will updaye tonight". No mention as to where he was or whats happening.

JimmieA.
  11. skibum69

Oddometer:
    what's his website?
  12. JimmieA

Oddometer:
  13. totem

totem Adventurer

Oddometer:
    skibum69 :
    Do you have an idea on the weather in Labrador early september? If not this year, I'd like to go back up there next year.
  14. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I rode to CroMag '08 for the second weekend in September and had beautiful weather all the way there, I stopped for a week in Montreal and the weather turned on my way home with rain heading into Gaspé for 2 days. I rode out of it into decent weather on PEI and by the time I got to Newfoundland the temperature had dropped to 10ºC for the 1100 km day getting home.

Does that answer your question?
  16. JimmieA

Oddometer:
    Our lost traveller is found in Church Falls. He had a flat tire and also waited to tour the power plant.

JimmieA.
  17. skibum69

Oddometer:
    yeah I read his story
  18. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Just got back from riding it cw. Rained the entire time. No dust was the upside :). Those areas of deep sand were challenging when wet. Construcion area is only 18 km's now. 18 km's of deep slippery mud. Potholes were very plentiful, the deep ones would rip your feet off the pegs. It was COLD, nearly got hypothermia on the new stretch. Over the next week or two I'll update the ride report in my sig line. It was a true adventure indeed ! Bikes took some damage, a few crashes, many parts wore out but everyone was smiling when it was over :)
  19. JimmieA

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to more info. AND PICTURES! I would have thought the unfinished bit was rocks the size of your helment.

JimmieA.
  20. ozmikl

ozmikl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am in Goose Bay at the moment (morning of the 31st) Road is good really as others say a few soft spots and heaps of loose shit all over the road I have been sitting on 50 to 60 mph...seems the happiest speed and on the pegs a lot.
    Loving the trip oh and if anyone ends up in Mary's Harbour do the Battle Harbour trip...it is pretty amazing.
    Should be in Churchill Falls today so will try and find our intrepid explorer.
    Michael