1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

TransLabrador Highway Paving

Discussion in 'Canada' started by John F, Mar 13, 2021.

1. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How much of the route from Baie Comeau to Blanc Sablon is paved now?

When I rode it in 2016 there was gravel from Manic 5 to Relais Gabriel, from Fire Lake to Fermont, and from about 40 miles south of HVGB to Red Bay. Everything else was paved. How much more is paved now?
    Milechaser likes this.
  2. Milechaser

Milechaser Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn’t realize that was the last time you were up there?
    2016 was the last time I was there also.
  3. Millwright98

Millwright98 Share the love, leave the dirt in the garden.

Oddometer:
    I seriously doubt the Quebec sections will ever be paved past Manic 5. In late August 2018, they were paving north from Port Hope at a pretty substantial rate. I don't know what Covid did to the construction season last year, but at the rate they were going when I was through, I'd say they are probably getting near to the Cartwright cutoff. I'm sure someone local will chime in with better info.

@skibum69
    @'Bob'
    ?
    Milechaser likes this.
  4. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve been jonesing to get back up there — especially to take another shot at the Esker Road. I understand the washout a couple miles beyond the snowdrift that stopped me is probably impassable on a GS, especially solo. But I have to see for myself. And then there’s the Orma Lake Road. There are some interesting looking roads east of 389 between Manic 5 and Fermont, too, along with the stuff between Relais Gabriel and Port Cartier. Sadly the TLH itself is pretty civilized these days, but there are still a lot of side trips along the way.

I’ve got a trip to western Ontario planned with a couple buddies this summer. (Was supposed to happen last summer.) Once we pull that off I’ll see if I can talk them into the TT or the TLH. (Like I’d have to twist their arms...)
    Milechaser and Millwright98 like this.
  5. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They're working on extended hwy 138 all the way to Old Fort. Then you'll be able to do a big loop including the TLH. I'm not sure what the progress on that is though.
  6. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    There is an update thread in trip planning-americas-Labrador.
  7. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    I went to Kegaska in 2019.They were investing a lot of money in road repairs pretty well all over 138 so road budget was spent there and so many construction zones that was getting tedious.

So much better once passed Sept-Iles.Even better beyond Havre-Saint-Pierre.

Kegaska- Old Fort Bay? ~350-400Kms? Probably won't happen anytime soon but should be easy enough to jump on the boat for that section?

http://relaisnordik.com/en/
  8. Milechaser

Milechaser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let me know.
    I have a good friend that may be interested in going to Labrador as well as I may be interested in going back.
    I get nervous doing shit by myself.
    Friend of mine doesn’t seem to be afraid of anything
    Hope your trip works out this summer.
  9. Roux-80

Roux-80 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did the road between Port-Cartier and relaie Gabriel last summer, wow, just wow, what a nice ride! It worth the detour.
    gpfan and Milechaser like this.
  10. B-Nads

B-Nads Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm from Old Fort Bay originally ;-). The road west ends 300 yards from my house...it brings up in a 400 foot tall cliff.

I'm strongly considering a trip back on the Lab this summer. As for the 138 opening...I wouldn't hold my breath. It's nothing but an election promise tossed that way every couple years.
    gpfan, Maggot12 and Milechaser like this.
  11. Milechaser

Milechaser Long timer

Oddometer:
    What do you mean the opening of 138 ?
  12. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    I suspect @B-Nads is referring to connecting the ends of 138 between Old Fort and Kegaska. The last big addition was about 8 years ago, adding a whole 50km between Natashquan and Kegaska. Like he said, don't hold yer breath.
  13. B-Nads

B-Nads Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's exactly what I meant - thanks, Sturg.

They had some local entrepreneurs and some survey companies do a pile of "studies" a couple years back on the feasible routes - it lined a lot of pockets to the tune of nearly 200 million, IIRC, with nothing accomplished except even less interest on the gov't's part to actually do anything about it. I find it incredibly odd that the federal government hasn't gotten involved given there are a couple First Nation communities along the Lower North Shore, but the sad fact is it would be much cheaper for the government to give each resident of the Lower North Shore a million dollars to relocate than it would be to put a road between Old Fort and Natashquan. Residents get subsidized travel, but for me, who has lived away from the coast since the demise of the cod fishery, it's cheaper to travel to Hawaii on a two week all-inlcusive than it is to fly home to see family at Christmas (inside the same fckn province!).

Anyway - that road connecting done in dirt would make one bloody epic round trip on an ADV bike, but if I go this summer I'll probably put my bike on the Bella (freight ship) and do Anticosti, then cross over to Gaspe and come back that way.l
    gpfan and sturgeon like this.