Transportation option for west bdr from east coast.

Discussion in 'Americas' started by tk1250gsa, Apr 27, 2020.

1. tk1250gsa

tk1250gsa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi
    I’m living NYC and planning to do AZ,CO,UT Bdr this or next summer - Fall.
    So how would you transport your bike there?
    Have gsa.
    1 rent uhaul trailer and driving till AZ bdr start point and ride bdr then come back on tarmac to where car parked.
    2 just ride with bike with tire on rack and mount around town go bdr and come back with ride
    3 shipping and fly out.
    Any other idea? Want to do with my bike not rented
  2. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am guessing you don’t own a vehicle that can haul the bike, so I would say run road tires out there and swap to knobbies, run the loop and then swap back to road tires. There are shops or tent space people who could help with the tire swapping.
    Parcero likes this.
  3. tk1250gsa

Oddometer:
    Would you use car if It’s available?
  4. holckster

holckster dougholck

Oddometer:
    How about I fly to NYC and ride it West for you.

Safe Travels
    Jamie Z and tk1250gsa like this.
  5. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I had a GS, I did not. I just took the highway. I only have small bikes now, and I drive across the country a couple times a year in the truck and off load the bikes out there.
    tk1250gsa likes this.
  6. tk1250gsa

Oddometer:
    Kk. best option... don’t want to hold road tire on bdr.. hum.. was planning to ride there and change tire then ride bdr and ship bike back.
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  7. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    use an inexpensive tire for the trip out, maybe a 705 or something similar. Or start the trip with a tire that has some miles on it. Mount your knobbies when you get there, discard the tire you ride out on, finish your BDR and ship the bike home. Don’t worry about the tires you rode out on. I wouldn’t carry a used street tire on the bike when I was doing a BDR either.
  8. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would look into renting a trailer. Or even buying a used one and then sell it when you get home. But maybe living in NYC you don't have a car?

But when we did the eastern TAT from NM several years ago, we rode the TAT to eastern TN and then turned around and road pavement back to NM.
    Your trip would obviously be much more than twice that on pavement.

Or you could go down to the TAT and take it out west, assuming you have lots of time.

You could get new tires put on in any of the larger towns.
  9. tk1250gsa

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately my vacation will be max two weeks (may be few more dates.). So I need to save time on road as much as I can. Since most of state BDR take normally 7-8 days so I can do only two states on my time line. Need to pick two from AZ,UT,CO,CA,ID. Hard choice.
  10. Detail

Detail n00b

Oddometer:
    Not sure what tires you plan to run, but the Michelin Anakee adventure tire would last enough miles for that trip, road and dirt.
    Parcero likes this.
  11. tk1250gsa

Oddometer:
    Yes I love that tire. Amazing on road not sure on off road but it was ok. Currently on pirelli rally str. Road and dirt is doing ok. Already got motoz rallz for dirt.
  12. HeadShrinker

HeadShrinker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  13. tk1250gsa

Oddometer:
    I want to use my bike. Not rented one
  14. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    During a South America trip, I had to replace my clapped-out TKC-80s in Buenos Aires. The only tires I could find that fit by R1200GS were Anakee 3s. I reluctantly put them on, having no other choice.

I immediately loved the on-road feel, and set out for Uruguay and Paraguay. They handled all dirt and gravel superbly, and even got me through the red mud of the Iguazú Falls area, although not as well as knobbies would have.

I rode those Anakee 3s all the way down to Ushuaia, then on Ruta 40 north to Bolivia. I don’t remember a better handling tire on gravel. Perhaps it was the cross-sectional shape.

On tarmac in the rain they hold like glue, and their longevity is amazing.

I didn’t try them in sand.

Definitely one of my all-time favorite and most versatile tire! I’ll bet it would do well for a ride-and-ride BDR trip.
  15. Rips Millar

Rips Millar capt. mediocre

Oddometer:
    imho, you're gonna waste too much time driving. I'd give renting a bike another thought, I know you said you want to ride your own bike but there are a lot of pros to the rental....and jeesh it's not like you ride a badass 1290 SAR...i'm sure the GS you can rent will be just like yours, they know how to outfit them at rental places these days....no miles put on your bike, support from the rental company,(not sure if you are solo), some places will probly come get you at the airport. I know NAR here in Reno rents anything you want, even the badass 1290, and has gear, etc. good luck