Transporting motorcycle using Thailand train

Discussion in 'Asia' started by hafidz_x, Jan 7, 2017.

1. hafidz_x

hafidz_x Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just came back from a motorcycle trip with my wife last week to complete the legendary 1864 corners ride in North Thailand. We saved more than 2600km of riding to get to Chiang Mai from Southern Thailand, Hat Yai by transporting my motorcycle by train.

If you feel the need to transport your motorcycle by train do download the powerpoint slides I made on a full guide on how it could be done. Before that visit State Railway of Thailand website to see if train rides are your thing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/egupzc5ls2z3rw1/Bike on Train.pptx?dl=0

Too see more of my journey, visit my Instagram page hafidz_x. Thanks
    Koonzee likes this.
  2. markinthailand

markinthailand Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice! Good filming and a great taste of Mae Hong Son. Which of the smaller roads was that?
  3. hafidz_x

hafidz_x Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The smaller roads are Route 128, From Mae Hong Son to Pang Ung Reservoir and Route 1250 on the way to Long Neck Village. Here's my whole route. More info on my instagram page hafidz_x :) OUR RIDE TRIP.jpg
    eyeg4et, Koonzee and markinthailand like this.
  4. markinthailand

Oddometer:
    Thanks! You did the loop the best way.
  5. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    We did the train to Bangkok, from Hat Yai .we waited 8 hours for the space to be available for the bike, froze on that night train with the ice maker AC on.Going back towards Malaysia we tried the train in Hua Hin but they had doubts n didnt know how to schedule it.
  6. eyeg4et

eyeg4et n00b

Oddometer:
    Nice idea to transport by train, but the cost! My Kawasaki Vulcan 650 weighs 223kg - stock. 60 baht per KG is 13,380 THB or $394.00. Did I miss something?
  7. markinthailand

Oddometer:
    Probably cheaper to mail it. Not kidding, you can do that. There is a special "big heavy things" post office or part of a big post office to do it. :-)
  8. eyeg4et

eyeg4et n00b

Oddometer:
    A friend told me that recently. I thought he was joking! I rented a truck once to drive from Bangkok to Chiang Rai. The cost was 18,000 baht for a truck load of household goods.
  9. markinthailand

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I have a photo somewhere of a bunch of scooters and a motorcycle at the post office...

Gotta love Thailand...
    eyeg4et likes this.
  10. eyeg4et

eyeg4et n00b

Oddometer:
    Love your Instagram photos!
  11. tj9830

tj9830 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Bro !
    I am living in Malaysia now and plan a trip to bangkok.
    I will ride to Hat yai and from there I want to take a train to Bangkok but I have no idea how to carry my F800gs on a train to bangkok.
    I tried to download your PDF file for detailed info but the file seem removed now.
    Can u share the info with me ?
  12. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    we did that in 2016, you must wait until they physically see that they have room ,then they will sell you the tickets, we were riding a fz150, they donot have loading ramps . our wait was all day and froze in the 5'6" beds , im 6'4". Go to the freight office n they will have you park the bike near, find a seat n wait. Check in periodically .when room is available, buy your tickets with the transit receipt. our cost for two passengers and moto was $90 US, less than 100 km from sadao to Bangkok, a f800 could do that faster than the over nite train.