TransTaiga Solo

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by John F, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Roux-80

Roux-80 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I asked some direction at le reservoir Gouin, they told me reach the 152 marker, half a kilometer north of that turn left, it was a narrow less used road, then turn left, follow Levasseur lake, then turn left and follow lake Faguy road.....That was very........non precise....lol! Since the original track was showing on my gps, I was thinking as long this road goes north and keep it paralel to the original track I should be fine, and I was right. My ridding buddys call me The human gps sometime, I always find a way :lol2

The paper map seem to be really accurate, I think they got update version every 5 years. As for gps map, check gps quebec, they got some very nice one: https://www.gpsquebec.ca/ Those are way better thant the garmin one.

To be honest, the mapping here in Quebec really suck, I wish we could have some nice paper map like the backroad map book in western canada or Benchmark backroad atlas in the US.
    huguesfrederic, ktjim and John F like this.
  2. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil. Supporter

Oddometer:
    This looks very interesting. Thanks,
    KR
  3. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day 8 Lac de la Loutre on Route 167 to Bingo Brook Road, 455 miles pavement 4 miles gravel

After packing up and coffee, I hit the road. I continued south on 167, turned right on 155 past La Tuque, and continued on to Trois Riviers, where I gassed up again and stopped at a Timmies. What is it about Timmies and Harley Davidson??? Virtually every Timmies I saw had a bunch of Harleys in the parking lot, and all the Harley riders were wearing their Genuine Motor Clothes. People like to make fun of GS riders at Starbucks, but this was ridiculous. Every single one of these riders and their passengers was decked out in Harley Davidson jackets, pants, chaps (didn't see any assless ones, though). Everything was emblazened with the Harley logo. Gotta hand it to HD, absolutely stellar marketing.

Later, I crossed the St. Lawrence, took the TransCanada west for a bit, then turned south and zigzagged my way to the border crossing on 139 at Richford VT. Between the St. Lawrence and the US border I’ve never seen so many motorcycles and CanAm Spyders Cycles were everywhere, and maybe a quarter to a third of all the <4-wheel vehicles were these backward trikes. And they ride slow. I tend to push speed limits but none of these people ever exceeded the speed limit. I got stuck behind several groups that were loping along as much as 10 mph below the limit, and the roads were so twisty and double-yellow I just had to be patient.

Finally I got to the border, assured the Customs guy I wasn’t a terrorist, and continued on northern Vermont roads. A while later I pulled into the Alchemist brewery in Stowe, where I picked up some Heady Topper and Focal Banger which I stuffed into my bags, and got back on the road, heading down route 100. I came up on another GSA identical to mine (at least from the rear), and followed him behind a few cars. After a few miles he decided to pass. The tall, lanky GSA is far from a graceful ballerina, but it really can move. He passed one car, popped back across the line to let an oncoming car pass, then passed the lead car and he was gone. I managed to get past the cars in another couple miles, and later passed the GSA gassing up in Hancock.

A little further down route 100 I turned up toward Brandon Gap, and then turned up Bingo Brook Road, where there are a few national forest campsites and I arrived at a site well after sunset but with barely enough light to set up. Once set up, I popped open a Heady Topper, drank it, then crashed out.

The eighth night's camp:
    https://goo.gl/maps/poRMbtHVSjx

Really didn't take any more pictures after day 7. Here's a shot of the eighth night campsite. IMG_2717.JPG
    RG1984, CavReconSGT and GravelRider like this.
  4. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day 9 Bingo Brook Road to South Windsor CT, 174 miles pavement 4 miles gravel

Today was just like a typical weekend camping in the Green Mountains. Got a good coffee buzz going while packing the bike. Got moving and rode down route 100 to Ludlow, where I got an omelet at the Hatchery. After breakfast, I filled up with gas, continued down route 103 to I-91, and then droned the last 100 miles home where I arrived shortly after noon. Again, no pictures. Too much like a regular weekend ride.

Check another one off the bucket list.

Total: 1951 miles pavement 1473 miles gravel. Grand total 3424 miles in 9 days of riding.
  5. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great trip and ride report!
  6. RG1984

RG1984 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    John, I'm a big fan of your writing.
    I feel like I get a good idea of your riding bc of it. It comes across as a no frills no gadgets kind of ride. Now that may not be accurate, but that's the image i get and I had that in mind when I planned and rode Labrador.
    Great trip report.
  7. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Funky Monkey Trunk

Oddometer:
    Great trip. It's good to see more information pop up about this road and services along the way. Not sure I have the intestinal fortitude to do the Trans Taiga alone after being stuck in Radisson.
    GravelRider likes this.
  8. sgio

sgio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I enjoyed your report, sounds like a great ride! Thanks
  9. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What was the situation that left you stuck in Radisson?
  10. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Funky Monkey Trunk

Oddometer:
    I had a great ride up the highway to Chisasibi. They have a fantastic new boutique hotel which has recently finished construction and where I stayed as a treat for camping the rest of my trip.
    I picked up a nail and a flat tire. I realized only when I went to repair the tire that I'd left my front tube sitting on the shop table in the garage.
    I managed to patch the tire and get going only to have a complete blow-out (yikes!) at speed about 5 kilometres from Radisson. The problem then was getting a new tube to a town with no couriers, 2-3 week mail delivery time, and no local businesses able to get one for at least a week. I found a fellow in Montréal that was able to air freight one to me and which saved my trip.
    There are only two places to stay - a small hotel and one that is mostly used by Quebec Hydro. Needless to say at $150+ per night for five nights it was an expensive lesson in learning to bring along plan B, C, etc.
    But I don't regret going up there - it was still an amazing experience and trip.
    An accident or breakdown on the Trans-Taiga would leave you isolated and really in a pickle.
    Repoman87 and GravelRider like this.
  11. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    Great RR, can't see the pics at work but will look this up when I get home.
  12. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just discovered the feature for uploading GPS tracks. Here's the GPS log from my Nav V for the trip.

Attached Files:

13. blacktruck

blacktruck Shiftless

Oddometer:
    Not quite Arkansas but I can see it from here.
    I just reread this RR. Shuda been working but it is a slow day. I have read every article and RR I could find covering this area. Not sure why but there is a strong desire to go up and see this area since I first learned of it. You did an excellent job of chronicling your adventure. The last few years have had me busy on a new work project and then the pandemic, I remain hopeful for the year ahead.
    Thanks for sharing your trip and info.