Travel in the time of COVID-19

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Grinnin, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    EDIT 3: A lot has changed since February. This post does not reflect my plans for the near future, but I'm leaving the rest intact for context. END EDIT

Lots of people have plans for trips in the summer of 2020.

As of Feb. 27, the (US) CDC recommends to avoid non-essential travel to China and South Korea. For Japan, Iran, and Italy, travelers should practice "enhanced precautions".

The CDC site this morning says it's not currently spreading "within the community" in the U.S., but the first such case has shown up in California.

Enhanced precautions (currently for Iran, Japan, and South Korea) are:
    • Avoid contact with sick people.
    • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
    • Clean your hands often by washing them with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at 60%–95% alcohol. Soap and water should be used if hands are visibly dirty.
      • It is especially important to clean hands after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after coughing, sneezing or blowing your nose.

• Don't travel when sick and if you have symptoms, seek medical attention but call ahead instead of dropping in. There's much more if you have symptoms.
    While these enhanced precautions are currently for China and Korea, they may apply to other areas later in the year.

I'm starting this thread because
    • being informed is a large part of being prepared
    • many of us have made extensive arrangements for travel this year and are reluctant to stay home out of fear
    • motorcycle travel is not like other types of travel. While we may avoid airports (or may not), we will probably deal with many people in a day for fuel, food, and lodging. Usual motorcycle travel may mean less handwashing rather than more.
    • COVID-19 may be like SARS in many ways, but SARS was contained fairly quickly while COVID-19 has gotten a head-start on us.

EDIT: My health is good and I rarely get sick. If I have symptoms this summer, I must treat them with more care for the public good.

EDIT MORE: I'm not a medical professional, but I'd like to assemble suggestions for motorcycle travel this year.

1. Know the number to call if you have symptoms of COVID-19. Do not go to a medical clinic or hospital without contacting them first.
    2. Take a thermometer. If you have symptoms, take your temperature. If you're in questionable company, take your temperature 3 times a day anyway.
    3. Take hand sanitizer. Those with 60% to 70% alcohol seem to be most effective.
    nk14zp and Eyes Shut like this.
  2. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    We did a 32 day trip to Portugal and Italy last fall, Sept., Oct. we saw lots of chinese there, I wouldn't plan on going this year unless there is a vaccine for this Corvid19. No air travel for me until a vaccine
    scootac likes this.
  3. Cheshire

Cheshire Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On one hand...suddenly, motorcycle gloves just developed a new aspect of protection! :lol3
    On the other...I find myself wondering how to disinfect leather without drying it out or ruining my gloves. :hmmmmm
    AdamChandler likes this.
  4. Grinnin

Oddometer:
    From Scientific American:

Preparing for the almost inevitable global spread of this virus, now dubbed COVID-19, is one of the most pro-social, altruistic things you can do in response to potential disruptions of this kind. We should prepare, not because we may feel personally at risk, but so that we can help lessen the risk for everyone. We should prepare not because we are facing a doomsday scenario out of our control, but because we can alter every aspect of this risk we face as a society. That's right, you should prepare because your neighbors need you to prepare -- especially your elderly neighbors, your neighbors who work at hospitals, your neighbors with chronic illnesses, and your neighbors who may not have the means or the time to prepare because of lack of resources or time.
    ajy1w, dduelin and interactive3 like this.
  5. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    We were planning a couple overseas trips this year. Both are on the back burner now and we will just wander around mountains, camp and avoid people.
    raywalke and CCitis like this.
  6. Got_Carbs?

Got_Carbs? Long timer

Oddometer:
    What about trips to South America? There appears to be only 1 case in Brazil but you have to wonder how many of those countries are actually testing for it.
    CCitis likes this.
  7. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My wife & I were in Thailand this January and mainly used public transportation in Bangkok. The mid-part of the month maybe 30% of the passengers were using masks (there was a health warning due to particulate pollution). By the end of the month Covid-19 was ramping up. They were handing out masks at the stations and everyone was wearing them. Just to point out that you should be 'prepared' for it regardless of where you're traveling to.

According to Wikipedia Covid-19 has a (estimated) case fatality rate between 1-3%.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronavirus_disease_2019

For comparison The Spanish flu pandemic (1918-1920) case fatality rate was 2-3% .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_flu_pandemic#Comparisons_to_other_pandemics_and_epidemics

The WHO is not expecting a vaccine to be available for 18 months.

There’s one study that the anti-malaria drug Chloroquine can be effective for treatment. You can’t depend on one report to be accurate however I’d be bringing some for international travel on the ’it can’t hurt but may help’ principle.

https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/bst/advpub/0/advpub_2020.01047/_article
  8. Grinnin

Oddometer:
    Manray likes this.
  9. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    Other than accidents....seems to me that chart could apply to most any cause of death.
    :dunno
    CCitis, petertakov, Don T and 2 others like this.
  10. gspeed

gspeed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm from Italy and 20 mins drive from where I live there is a quarantined village - but guys I tell you both myself & relatives are pretty optimists.

Actually the real risk is for elderly people (as per @Grinnin post above) and the about 20 fatalities in the country are for >70yo with additional health issues which would have been really at risk with the normal seasonal flu as well, without getting that massive media exposure. The difference is that folks-at-risk get vaccinated for the seasonal flu, thus eventually they are not impacted for that one.

We'll see how all this evolves in the next weeks...
  11. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Immune function deceases with age: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immunosenescence Nothing you can do about that. But there's a general health part as well (from WHO Director-General Jan 23):
    "We know that most of those who have died had underlying health conditions such as hypertension, diabetes or cardiovascular disease that weakened their immune systems."
  12. Nesbocaj

Nesbocaj The NEW Soylent Green Deal???

Oddometer:
    ...and IF you get sick, wear a mask to prevent the spread of whatever you have; cold, virus, STD :D, OK, just lightening the mood with that last one.
    raywalke and HarveyM like this.
  13. Grinnin

Oddometer:
    It's unlike the death rate by age curves from some influenza strains.

[​IMG]
  14. Krons

Krons Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lanis, raywalke and Fddriver2 like this.
  15. gspeed

gspeed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2009 h1n1 has two factors to consider: first a vaccine has been available from Oct/Nov (so people at risk got it), second it is "similar" to flues that occured 50/60+ years before hence part of that population was already immune.
    dooby likes this.
  16. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well I flew Friday and will be back home Wednesday. Not my first choice. Flying Business class avoids the close forced proximity of coach but is still not my first choice right now.

We have a month long riding trip to Europe planned for July. I expect we will be cancelling it.

When we arrived at the Toronto Airport there was a glut of cleaners working in the first off the plane restrooms.

Things like surgical masks especially the # 95 series are all sold out as is hand sanitizer in most drug stores

One of the aircrew in our cabin was wearing black rubber gloves while doing meal service and I saw her change them twice. Good initiative on her part.

We had a staff meeting last Tuesday (our company is in Vancouver ) and discussed our expectations of staff. Don't come to work sick, stay at home and see your doctor.

We have a hand sanitizer in the staff kitchen and encourage our staff to take advantage of the free flu shots.

It is challenging to convince some millennials to get flu shots btw. If we could make them mandatory we would

With the majority of our staff taking public transit we have an everyone working from home model via laptops with a twice daily conference call (7 staff to check on things)

The Toronto Star published a self quarantine list

Here’s what you will need to survive a 14-day coronavirus home quarantine

Your checklist should include alcohol-based hand sanitizer, medicines and non-perishable food items.

By Milton Canadian Champion
    Fri., Feb. 28, 202
    Imagine being stuck at home in quarantine due to the new coronavirus or some other pandemic. It could happen. Are you ready?

According to health officials, this is what you will need:

• Alcohol-based hand sanitizer that’s between 60 and 90 per cent alcohol
    • Medicines for headaches, coughs and fever
    • Thermometer
    • Anti-diarrheal medication
    • Drinks with electrolytes
    Beyond that, also keep the following in mind:

• Have a supply of your prescription medication ready to avoid possible delays during an outbreak or pandemic.
    • Get a couple of weeks’ supply of non-perishable food items, such as canned meats, fish, soups, beans and vegetables. Don’t forget bottled water as well.
    • Think about your pets as well, and make sure to have enough pet food and litter.
    • Keep a stock of household necessities, such as soap, shampoo, toothpaste, toilet paper and more.
    • Keep some cash on hand in the event of an emergency.
    -30-
    raywalke and Grinnin like this.
  17. Grinnin

Oddometer:
    Thanks for those lists.

Some of those items would be logical for anyone traveling this year in low-danger places. I can't see all of them being practical while on the road. All of them are good food for thought though.
  18. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    As you saw the list was for self quarantined folks not riders on long tours
    Grinnin likes this.
  19. Manray

Manray Killing Time

Oddometer:
  20. Grinnin

Oddometer:
    Yea.

I was trying to gather info about what travelers on motorcycles might want to bring or learn.

We may or may not be in low-risk areas but not seeing news each day, we might not know. We'll usually deal with people every day for fuel and fairly often for food.
    raywalke and Bill 310 like this.