Travel in the time of COVID-19

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Grinnin, Feb 27, 2020.

1. hensmen

hensmen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Remdesivir gives you a shorter time in recovery, beside, the traveling situation in Europe will be a problem. Many ideas and more countries but the main problem will be, most people stay in their country, so iff camping grounds will we open, they will be overcrowded by restrictiones like masks and 200 cm perimeters. But every week there will be more informationes.
    The people in their flats are enerved, last week childrens in Spain could leave the flats for one hour and only with parents, first time for six weeks. In Germany we are in paradies, i can use the bike without, nearly without restrictiones, i could drive to work not only the whole non existing winter but for fun. Our son visits us from his destination, Bavaria were this is a problem. But in our Baden Württemberg he is not allowed to use the bike, cause he is registered in Bavaria, small example for what you will find here in Europe.
    I saw the posts bevore and try to ask something that made me wonder since i was registered here in the ADV forum, is motorbiking strange for black people, do they no travelling ore is the number off bikers in the states so small that they disapear ? I know it could be a sensitive question so you could answer in a pn, thanks in advance.
    Greetings from Hans, see you
  2. nestastubbs

nestastubbs Green Mountain Toys Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can anyone in NJ or PA give an update on the state of camping or hotels? I’m looking to pass thru on my way to visit family and was wondering if there were options to spend a night. I’m particularly interested in places around New Hope or the Poconos. Also, what services are open on 87, and the NJ turnpike?
    raywalke likes this.
  3. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't believe that. People have gone through way deadlier crises and things have always come back to normal. Panic and fear can on;y last that long and n fact - the longer they last, the firecer the drive to normalisation. That is simply how human mind works - it never accepts worse if it had known better. A cynical and extreme example is the path to Everest - there were bodies all along it and the number of people going there for sheer fun just kept on going up. We didn't stop driving/riding because traffic accidents happen. People, especially in some parts of the world, keep getting fatter and fatter despite of the fact that so many of them die of heart diseases, much more so than from viral infections. So, no - there won't be a "new normal" and we will keep on living in the best way possible and the politicians who honestly believe they can keep impose restrictions after the fear is gone won't last.
    demondog and Nesbocaj like this.
  4. Glenn247

Glenn247 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I admire your optimism in the face of overwhelming indications to the contrary

5. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    you might want to check the states you are planning to travel thru. Here in idaho we had a problem of the neighbor states in lock down .They came over here to our parks.
    If it is done now they go into Quarantine.
  6. petertakov

Oddometer:
    I admire your sources.
    ATadam, raywalke and Turumarth like this.
  7. Glenn247

Glenn247 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I admire your use of a genetic fallacy

@motolab
  8. petertakov

Oddometer:
    Well, there you go, then, Mr SourceIsIrrelevant. You shouldn't worry at all. You're welcome.
    carbonjunky, raywalke and Turumarth like this.
  9. Manray

Manray Killing Time

Oddometer:
    Perspectives on the pandemic:

Glenn247 likes this.
  10. MrMac

MrMac Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure this is one of the same people that claimed in an earlier video, that the death toll in Sweden was 'statistically insignificant' when compared to other Scandinavian countries. That was total BS at the time and still is. So no, I didn't watch this one as their credibility is highly suspect.
    dankatz, raywalke and Mike Dirt like this.
  11. 2twisted

2twisted NRTHJSTNRTH

Oddometer:
    Campgrounds in PA are open.
    I stayed at steel steeds in Milton.
    Was in the far corner, no one else other than seasonals were there.
    Was making my way to family in Virginia.
    Every gas station is open, most food is drive through, take out only, if open.
    Packed enough food so no stopping was nec.
    Went by a few campgrounds in PA and open signs or flags were flying.
  12. DRZ400mike

DRZ400mike Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Delaware is the only state that has been pulling over out of state vehicles around here. Not sure on campgrounds. Philly is fairly open if you need anything pm.
    raywalke likes this.
  13. ATadam

ATadam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Climbing Everest changed dramatically and while people still die the ratio of those who don't make it has dropped a lot compared to the sheer number of people who climb it. There's an entire cottage industry built around it and most deaths are now Sherpas in accidents. Similarly with auto accidents we made a number of federal laws built around safety and streets get redesigned or speed limits reduced all the time in order to make things safer. Motorcycling is no different with abs and disk brakes, smarter/better bike design, better helmet design, etc. So yeah new norms happen all the time (whether imposed or not).

Every pandemic in human history has led to a new norm, even if people were still idiots afterwards and caused more diseases. The Bubonic plague effectively ended feudalism for good and the Spanish Flu dramatically changed public healthcare around the world. Yes, restrictions can be put in place forever, it happened after 9/11.
  14. tellicotom

tellicotom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Change is inevitable....struggling with change is an option.....
    AllBlackPearl, Grinnin and ATadam like this.
  15. raywalke

raywalke n00b

Oddometer:
    PA is starting to open slowly. Golf courses, marinas, private campgrounds can open tomorrow, state campgrounds most likely Deborah Morgan in a few weeks. People are out and about, weather getting nicer, been stuck in all winter and they are ready to go.
  16. raulpereira4

raulpereira4 n00b

Oddometer:
    This year we will not be able to make any tour, of that I am sure. The CDC are not going to ease international restrictions that fast. Although I do not like it, I am dying to leave, we must abide by these measures
  17. llamacide

llamacide Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Funny - that video is removed by YT - prob because it was BS!
    ATadam and Grinnin like this.
  18. Anathema

Anathema n00b

Oddometer:
    Grinnin likes this.
  19. tlub

tlub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, as a PhD biochemist, working at a company that is supplying reagents for hundreds of millions of qPCR tests (active virus tests) and also developing other tests, I find the conspiracy theorists, such as Glenn247, here to be positively more frightful than anything. They are the ones who are going to ensure this kills more people, by not doing what they need to do. There is no 'they'. There is no conspiracy. There is a real disease. I know how the qPCR tests work. I used to manage the area. I know it's real. For me, there is no 'they'. It's me and my co-workers.

As for the immunity question, the jury is still out on that. It is possible, but tricky, to get antibodies against regions of the virus that inactivate virus better, or perhaps last longer, than do antibodies our bodies are likely to produce naturally. (If the natural ones are less than optimal- I don't know, nor does anyone, yet) We need antibodies that are long lasting. I do a lot of biochemical/biological modelling in my work, and it's all just math. No social or political questions. If you work the numbers, if immunity (or a vaccine) lasts 120 days, we're screwed. We're looking at waves every 200 days or so, where we lose 5% of the population every 3 years. Faster than we reproduce, at least here. If immunity lasts a year or more, we don't have any of that. then we're good.

I know people at work and elsewhere who have had this (I haven't). It is real, and it is scary. The numbers, especially the delayed onset while being contagious, and the contagiousness (Ro), make this more of a challenge than anything in modern history. The sociological question is do we accept it, and many deaths, like our ancestors accepted smallpox, typhoid, and other mass killers? Or do we accept distancing/quarantine to reduce it, at some financial risk? There is no 'they' trying to do social control. The question that should guide our behavior, and travel plans, is whether we want to risk sowing disease in our path, not knowing we are doing so, and probably never finding out, as we travel? Do we want others doing that to us?
  20. ATadam

ATadam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing Glenn247 is awaiting reprogramming by the bots for his next argument.
    EmmEff likes this.