Travel in the time of COVID-19

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Grinnin, Feb 27, 2020.

1. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now that the virus is still around and the world is starting to go back to normal nevertheless with 99% of the hospitals having never even gotten close to full, is anyone beginning to realise how stupid the lockdown was?
    Macho Man2 and Glenn247 like this.
  2. RowBust

RowBust Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or how successful it's been
  3. AllBlackPearl

AllBlackPearl Alpoholic

Oddometer:
    As a PhD molecular biologist, I would like to thank you for the first substantiated and informed post in this whole (admittedly entertaining - thank you to the conspiracy theorist! ;) ) thread.
    dooby, tlub, mikegc and 4 others like this.
  4. Bad Dad

Bad Dad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    California just informed me that all my camping reservations have been canceled.....a 17 day trip down the drain, thanks covid!
    probably just ride around Montana, Idaho and Wyoming.
    Macho Man2 likes this.
  5. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    So you're saying our efforts are working?
    AngusMcL, GvG, Rusty J and 5 others like this.
  6. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    It's like telling the fire crew that's been fighting like hell to keep your community safe from a forest fire, "Well the fire never even came close to my house. I guess we never really needed you guys anyway."

...........shu
    csmoore, knary, AngusMcL and 14 others like this.
  7. tellicotom

tellicotom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you have it real tough...
    knight and mikegc like this.
  8. Bad Dad

Bad Dad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Right, while being essential personnel in critical infrastructure I realize my minor travel inconveniences pale against the big picture, but I'm still pissed about our big trip being screwed.
    AllBlackPearl likes this.
  9. AllBlackPearl

AllBlackPearl Alpoholic

Oddometer:
    There's always another time. :-)

My girlfriend's a vocalist in a band that I manage - we had to cancel all our gigs for this year. Whoever works in the arts is, put bluntly, f***d. Same for most independent, self-employed people. So yeah, if it's jus a holiday - it IS annoying ( we had to cancel our summer trip, too) but it's a small issue really.
    Bad Dad and mikegc like this.
  10. tellicotom

Oddometer:
    I understand, I cancelled a Green River rafting trip that I was lucky enough to draw a permit. Will just do local stuff until at least September. We are lucky enough to have some of the best dualsport riding in the East though..
    Macho Man2 and mikegc like this.
  11. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    My motorcycle was shipped to Japan earlier this year for the start of GlobeRiders' World Tour 2020. With that trip cancelled, my bike got back to Tacoma about three weeks ago and finally cleared US Customs. Next week, I fly to Seattle to pick it up and ride home via a meandering route. I've been following very carefully the reopening of each state that's in my path back to North Carolina. During this process, I've called many hotels, local police stations along with the Kansas Highway Patrol barracks in Hays doing research. Montana still has a 14 day quarantine for out-of-state (non-essential) travelers but that lifts on June 1st. Kansas had confusing and contradictory comments on their sites so a quick call to their Highway Patrol was in order. After telling the trooper what I was doing he said, "Get your butt out here and don't worry. We're open." I'm traveling alone so social distancing shouldn't be an issue and I've got a nice, plentiful selection to PPEs. I'll be on the road for four to five weeks.

Mike
    9w6vx, Bad Dad, Macho Man2 and 4 others like this.
  12. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    Pretty well put together piece addressing all the COVID myth's floating around with source citations.
    Couple F-bombs (he's a trauma doctor being entertaining) for those who don't want that at work or in general.
    http://www.docbastard.net/2020/05/covid-19-mythbusting.html
    I'm still riding my bike but with much more precautions than normal. A big emphasis on avoiding the three C's Closed Spaces, Crowded Spaces and Close Contact Settings. I wear a mask when I can't avoid people and decontaminate my hands or use a plastic bag to refuel. I just pack food and water in advance or use what I have for backpacking to get purified water.

I think we can outsmart a virus using the tools we have available and still have a good time in the process.
    ncroadtoad, 9w6vx, bikerfish and 2 others like this.
  13. tlub

tlub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I actually thought that was going to be a crackpot article, but it wasn't. Pretty much says the truth. The only major point I think he omits is:
    OK, we are lifting restrictions when the disease is running far more cases than when we started restrictions. WTF do we really expect? Less cases? Why oh why ?
  14. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    It's pretty solid information, with some swearing.

Doing the math to get to herd immunity is pretty grim. I won't depress anyone but 70-90% of 330 mil X CFR % and you're there. It'll certainly put a monkey wrench in stress-free travel for a few years if we let it.
  15. tlub

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the math for herd immunity is somewhere between sobering and shocking. 5 or 6 or 7 million dead. That's not good for any economy. Or people.
    RowBust likes this.
  16. ToothDocJay

ToothDocJay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cobble Hill, Vancouver island, BC ("wet coast")
    I'm not sure that some people understand the whole "flattening the curve" thing.

Flattening the curve does NOT mean that less people will get infected with Covid19. What it does mean is that it will reduce the rate of infection in order not to overwhelm the medical systems that are needed to combat it.

So it's not that social distancing and all the measures that are being taken will reduce the number of infections overall, but it will spread them out over a longer time period so there is less of a "surge" and hospitals aren't over run.

If you look at the "curve", the important thing to realize is that the total number of infections (the area under the curves) are basically the same;

[​IMG]

People are still going to be infected. By taking precautions you can reduce the number of people who DIE because they can receive timely medical attention and not get washed away in a tidal wave of cases. That's the important difference in the two curves.

The number of people who contract the virus isn't going to be reduced significantly (although I think it's a safe assumption the there will be SOME reduction in cases with social distancing, it's just not going to be a huge difference in the end), but more people will be able to be treated/cared for effectively.

I think some believe that flattening the curve means less people getting sick, it doesn't.
    knary, Clem Fandango, rkover1 and 2 others like this.
  17. tellicotom

Oddometer:
    Ohh, I get it..flattening the curve only prolongs the restrictions and misery....
    ChopperCharles likes this.
  18. MrMac

MrMac Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The text below was posted to FB by a friend who lives in Western NC. Take heed if planning any travel to the region:

19. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not overwhelming the medical resources available is certainly the first reason.

It seems we also learn a lot about the virus and treatments for it every day. Early in the pandemic, ventilators were thought to be key, but now less invasive breathing help is used more often. The choice of drugs to help people through an infection has changed.

I've also never seen drug companies respond so quickly and enthusiastically to a challenge. I realize that it still takes a long time to develop and test a vaccine. I have perhaps too much optimism, but if there is an effective vaccine available in 18 months, we can reduce the total death toll by not infecting every high-risk person before then.
  20. tlub

Oddometer:
    I think pat of it too is that if we can extend it long enough, we may have treatments that can help drop the death rate- like vaccines, whic also should result in fewer people sick- , and maybe some more antiviral medicines (which are really nowhere near as effective as a vaccine, but may help with critical cases). So if we flatten the curve, we MAY get to a situation where fewer people die.
    Conversely, to play devil's advocate, if immunity only lasts a few months, by flattening the curve we are able to re-infect populations, and get into an endless cycle of re-infection and death.
    Ain't I a cheery fellow?