Travel in the time of COVID-19

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Grinnin, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Glenn247

Glenn247 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow, so much for freedom of travel...
    Macho Man2 and mb289 like this.
  2. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are places in the world where there's no COVID-19 problem to speak of. Those people shut themselves in for a few weeks and wear masks.

Right now those places are open or opening fast for normal business. They are closed to visitors from places that pretend that simple safety practices are not needed.

We could have safe travel if people would observe safe behavior. But that seems to be too much to ask, so most of the world won't allow visitors from the U.S. The states in the northeastern U.S. have made great progress in getting the numbers of infections down. Masks and hand washing are key strategies in keeping that progress. So is screening visitors from areas with the worst outbreaks.
  3. ATadam

ATadam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's almost like hard work and sacrifice pays off whereas laziness and BS doesn't.
    SwampyDeadHead, Pecha72, tlub and 7 others like this.
  4. tellicotom

tellicotom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm, who would have thought....
  5. hensmen

hensmen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The people look at the politicans and there they have a problem, leader not wearing masks, their elections as more important as the the public health. Governors as in Georgia acting against facts, it is a shame for this land and a problem for me to explain my love for your land, to my friends. We in Europe are more and more bewildered about this tingel tangel, stand up against politicans not acting for your health and wear the masks, it is not only a statement, the benefit is proven by many facts. And do not forget, there are some europeans which would visit the states, help them too
    tlub, dooby, AllBlackPearl and 5 others like this.
  6. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    The WHOLE world is bewildered... not just Europe.
    And turning from "bewildered" to absolutely horrified!

Got family in California and would happily pay anything to pull them out of there...if they could get flights, they'd be out in a flash, too.
    hensmen, Grinnin, tlub and 3 others like this.
  7. CycleSick

CycleSick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interestingly, what with all the retail stores in the US now requiring masks, I think mask compliance is way up. At least in my little corner of the world, I'd say it's near 100% at Wal-mart, Home Depot, Costco, most gas stations, etc. Of course, that won't stop the ocasional red-neck idiot from making the news over not wanting to "be told what to do." You can't fix stupid. Still, maybe we're just slow to get on board. Maybe it's like Winston Churchill said, "You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing...after they've tried everything else."
  8. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    I think mandatory mask usage is on it's way, even Trump says it's a good thing to do now. Around me, in stores, it's almost 100 percent compliance, which is great to see. The grocery store enforces it, no masky, no shopy, simple as that. Only store in town, so the dolts that don't think it's real gotta mask up or not eat.
    That said, I'm trying to plan some type of trip for next week. Mid week, take advantage of slightly lighter crowds. wanted to do michigan and the UP, but might just head up into the Adirondacks instead, a bit closer, and more familiar. Lots of camping options available as of now. I think I need to get a trip in before we get locked down again, because I really believe that is what's coming.
    Grinnin and AllBlackPearl like this.
  9. MotoChron

MotoChron Got Dirt?!

Oddometer:
    Slightly lighter crowds?! The news reported today, that last weekend was the biggest of the summer. Usually 4th of July is the biggest weekend here in Northern Michigan. The crowds are anything but light.
  10. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    I know it's been crazy, same here in PA, the parks are bursting at the seams. I was aiming for mid week, and hoping for slightly lighter. but not expecting that really. I've planned a 5 or 6 day ride up and through the adirondacks, I know the area well, and know the places to avoid. I don't know michigan that well, only traveled there a few times, so probably save that for less intense times, if they ever come. The biggest thing for avoiding summer crowds is to avoid campsites with water. I have a list of campsites in many states that are simply wooded areas, maybe a small stream running through it. Usually very light usage. Lakes and river camping areas get crowded with the exact thing I want to avoid, Bubba, his wife, 3 brats, boat, bicycles, food scattered everywhere, radio or TV playing, etc etc. Hey, good for them, just not my thing, and I don't want to camp beside them!!
    When I do head back to michigan, I will head directly up to copper harbor, I've had good luck in that area avoiding big crowds.
  11. RowBust

RowBust Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would you like some seasoning to help you eat your words
    Nttra, dooby and Pecha72 like this.
  12. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If seasoning is all you've got to prove me wrong, than no, but if, on the other hand, you have some data/facts to prove me wrong, then I may reconsider
  13. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    :(:

.......shu
  14. windypoint

windypoint Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just returned from a SW Utah trip of the National Parks. Wearing a mask was the only requirement and all motels and restaurants were pretty busy. Good trip other than a few days a 100 + temps.
    Macho Man2 likes this.
  15. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rode through Sturgis this morning - all preparations are underway to receive the 300,000 plus expected "Adventurers" - few Masks, 3 Trump stores/busses. South Dakota has had a steadily rising 7-day Average of Positive tests for the last month, the rise in three weeks should prove interesting.

I spent the day working on getting the Travel Trailer ready for a 10 day escape to the Big Horns during the invasion. mWe leave Thursday.

Lots of bikes here already.
    23103a and mikegc like this.
  16. Glenn247

Glenn247 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great to hear the resistance to the Ruse will be formidable...

Thanks for the update out of what will likely be one of the last bastions of freedom...

I'm planning a trip to scope out a place in the American Redoubt...
  17. Homer GSA

Homer GSA R1200GSA 2008

Oddometer:
    I have some statistics;

USA - 157,000 dead.
    Australia - 208 dead
    New Zealand - 22
    South Korea - 301

Adjusted for population to match US population
    Australia - 2626
    New Zealand - 1430
    South Korea - 195

That’s probably enough statistics for now.......
    Yinzer Moto and tlub like this.
  18. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    That is sobering, @Homer GSA

It's a shame that even the places way off the beaten path are being overrun. These same people would have been happy to spend the weekend watching Netflix on their iPad if there were no virus.
  19. ATadam

ATadam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m sure they will fight the COVID-19 hoax with their rampant obesity and alcoholism.
    Ohio_Danimal and AllSeasonRider like this.
  20. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for backing up my point about how pointless the lockdown was with data! The country with the least deaths in your selection is precisely the one that didn't have lockdown (South Korea). Nice try.