Travel Journal & Motography... (meandering home)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Aug 4, 2020.

1. havabusa

havabusa Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice! Thanks for the memories. Great pictures. In '96 and finally divorced, I hit the road on my '95 CBR 1000 and headed east. Roamed around and ended up in Big Pine Key to visit KW, Fl - told myself that I'd be back soon.
    In '97, I took my XX 1100 through DV. - told myself that I'd be back soon, since it's so close.
    Sorry to thread jack, it's more of a reminder to people that you may not be back. Stop and smell the colitas...
  2. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb

No worries...

Glad I was able to jog your memories... I log my rides down for the same reason; to jog my memories someday...
  3. Some Beach

Some Beach Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll just show my wife this thread instead of my DV photos from Saturday; nicely done again Black 8!
  4. rickj

rickj Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great motography as usual, Rudy!

Bob and I were actually in Death Valley Wednesday and Thursday (3/17, 18) so we could have met up! Don takes his travel trailer and camps at Stovepipe Wells every year about this time for an entire week so we went out to meet up with him. He carries his GSA in the bed of this truck and spends time riding and relaxing. I generally go out for 2 or 3 days, but this year I could only do a short trip there one day and back the next.

We came in through Baker rather than Trona, as I hadn't ridden Jubilee Pass road in some time and it was great. Headed up to Lone Pine on the way out the following morning for breakfast, then back down 395 toward home. Poor planning on my part and we ended up in the afternoon stop & go commuter traffic in San Bernardino and Riverside for about 1.5 hours. The bike was running hot so I had to lane split to keep it from over-heating, which I hate doing! Need to plan better.

Anyway, thanks for posting your adventures! It's always fun to follow along.

Rick
  5. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Too bad you and Brian didn't meet up as planned with your run on the Monkey...

Don't know about the rest of the crew but I had a blast runnin' Death Valley with the Monkey.

BTW, small bikes rule... riders just have no idea what they are missing out on...
  6. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    D@mmit... :baldy

I wish I had known we would all be at DV at the same time. We could have gotten lobotomized at Panamint Springs...

April 2018 when you, Don, and Bob introduced me to Death Valley for the first time... good times...
    dv10.jpeg
  7. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :fpalm I just now caught this... :lol3

d@mn spell check...
  8. wilddoktor

wilddoktor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll be based at Furnace Creek with 2 other guys and a toy hauler around the 14th of April, and we'll do 3 days of out-n-back rides in various directions...woo hoo!! Me on my 04 Vee, those 2 on F800GSs.

I've only ever driven thru DV one time, in a car, 3 years ago; and I've never done a multi-day moto glamping trip before (it isn't my toy hauler or truck...I own neither). I can't wait to get out there!

I'm loving all the recent DV ride reports! @black 8 , what camera do you use for the still shots?
    Wierdrider and black 8 like this.
  9. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're in for a treat exploring DV for the first time... That was my second attempt at glamping and my gear continues to evolve even as I prepare for my trip to Texas to see the bluebonnets.

As for camera gear, I use a Nikon DSLR that I carry in a tank bag and my iPhone Xs... The iPhone Xs does a good job in portrait mode but pales in comparison to the DSLR...

iPhone in portrait mode...
    IMG_1775.jpeg
  10. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ~ 30 Mar 2021

~ Covid vaccine appointment...

The state of California is opening the Covid vaccine eligibility to those between 50-64 years old starting 1 April 2021.

Waking up early each day has it's advantages... I was able to make our vaccine appoints for the same date and time before finishing my first cup of coffee this morning. We should both be fully vaccinated by 29 April 2021...

One less thing to worry about when I'm out riding around... :ricky

~ edit:

Once again the Covid virus has thrown a monkey wrench into my plans but this time in a good way, kinda'...

I was all set to depart tomorrow for the Sierra Nevadas for some camping and go on a photo safari on four wheels. I created a thread in Adventure on Four Wheels yesterday to document my future getaways since the price of gas has risen in the last couple of months. I wanted to use my hybrid, an Escape, :lol3 to go on a mini adventure so I can haul my camera, drone, a better tripod, and other photo accessories. The mission would have been photo specific; to capture landscapes that I would normally have little time to explore while on a bike trip... Since I'm a half-full glass kinda' adventurer, I'll just save the mula I would have spent on this trip for after my vaccination and the Texas Hill Country...

all packed and ready to go... spent the afternoon unloading and reconfiguring the load for Texas...
    2.jpeg
  11. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rudy; as to the vaccine appointments; wife is older than me so got her first shot March 12th; I get my first shot April 5th. Will be glad to see the back of this damned Covid 19.
  12. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear that Dave...

I heard some intel from another northern inmate that the second dose for you guys/gals are getting delayed by up to four months to help with getting as many Canadians vaccinated... sounds like Canada is doing much better with the roll-out and the possibility of vaccine shots to 16yo by the end of June...
  13. Wierdrider

Wierdrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those are wonderful photos Rudy:clap, I just love scenes of mountain ranges. Glad you had another great adventure, and thanks for taking us along.
    Chillis, Zubb and black 8 like this.
  14. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jim...

Headed out to Big Bend National Park with one of the bikes next week to see what all the hoopla is all about...
  15. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rudy, I just got my appointments today and it looks like I will beat you by a couple of days. I'll bet that my scheduling experience was more interesting than yours. Details are in my thread!
  16. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Definitely can't beat that kind of service...

You must be getting the Pfizer vaccine with 21 days in between shots as compared to Moderna's 28 days... Got our first shot today getting us to 80% protection... gives me a warm and fuzzy about going cross-country to Texas and beyond. I'll still play it safe with the mask, distancing, and sanitizer just to play it safe until we get our second dose...
  17. taylor

taylor Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If doing pavement Hwy 170 out of Terlingua is a fun road.
    Wierdrider, Chillis and black 8 like this.
  18. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Definitely going to hit up Terlingua and the ghost town there...
  19. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent teaser, @black 8. Standing by for more!