Travel Journal & Motography... (prep for Alaska 2021)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Aug 4, 2020.

1. black 8

black 8 motography memories...

Oddometer:
    yep... been watching the weather reports since I got back and they were reporting excessive heat warnings inland in Palm Springs... I can only imagine the temps in DV right now...
    JRowland, klaviator, Chillis and 2 others like this.
  2. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's been over a century since the last record high there. Maybe it is time for a new one!

Although things cool down in a few days.
  3. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    High today in Huntsville is 77 degrees. If you want to get out of the heat this summer and can't go to Alaska then you should come join us in Maggie Valley in August where highs are likely to be in the high 70s to low 80s.
    JRowland, Wierdrider, black 8 and 3 others like this.
  4. black 8

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the invite Win, I'm sure I'll make it out there again sometime...

Those excessive heat temps are in my desert playground; the Anza-Borrego Desert, the Mojave, and the Sierras...

I'm closer to the coast and the temps are much much cooler from the ocean breeze as compared to inland temps. Out of 365 days, I may use the A/C for about 14 days... During the summer months I usually stick along the coast and venture around the foothills but once I crest Mt. Laguna, we're talkin' triple digits down on the desert floor... :knary

Like you, I'm eyeing a new bike... a twist and go maybe in the form of the new Hunter Cub 125 or a 300cc scooter. I gotta replenish my adventure fund since I've depleted some of it doing the cross-countries...

Part of the reason I'm willing to pay the dreaded California "sunshine tax..."

June temps
    Oceanside Weather.jpg

July temps
    2.jpg
  5. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I lived in San Diego I didn't have AC. I don't remember heat being much of a problem if I stayed out of the desert except maybe a week of Santa Anna winds every summer.
  6. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ 20 July 2021

~ Decisions, decisions,...

Canada Border Services Agency News Release dtd 19 June 2021....

"As a first step, starting August 9, 2021, Canada plans to begin allowing entry to American citizens and permanent residents, who are currently residing in the United States, and have been fully vaccinated at least 14 days prior to entering Canada for non-essential travel..."

I've been keeping an eye on the U.S./Canadian border status since we are nearing the July 21st deadline to extend or rescind the border closure. We'll, there had been previous chatter about the possibility of the closure ending so I've been going over my packing list on Baby G to go even lighter. At the same time I've been weighing the merits of basecamping with the Monkey up to Alaska since there are "unknowns" concerning availability of gas, campsites, and food along the route. I don't know what businesses survived in the more rural parts of the Canadian provinces.

Take Baby G and have minimal gear with only 47 liters OR basecamp with the Ranger/Monkey and have everything but the kitchen sink... :hmmmmm

Regardless I have about a month to see what further guidance the U.S./Canadian governments will publish in the coming weeks while they work out the details. That and a road trip to Alaska in mid-August will most definitely extend through mid-September... :vardy
  7. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am pondering heading the other direction, south. Mid-August would still be nice riding weather but the return after a month or two would not be nice. I am thinking about taking my Tundra... decisions, decisions

Edit: my advice has always been tourist's on motorcycles should be off the Alcan by Labor Day
  8. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have ridden to Alaska twice from So Cal. The first I left April 15, which turned out to be a pretty cold trip, but I enjoyed it. I moteled it the whole time. The second one I left May 15 and camped about 40% of the time. I really enjoyed both trips. You can see on my avatar that I travel pretty well packed. I like to have everything. I hope at 77 to make the trip again next year (Covid took the last two years' planned trips away from me). I plan to leave around May 15 again.

Anywho, to my mind, I would take your big bike (GS1200), pack everything you like and head north. If things look sketchy, make your decisions. I would think anyone traveling this year would have experiences no one will have in the future. The crowds will be small to non-existent. You are retired, who cares about time. There are some interesting spots to stay for a day or so to let the weather change.
  9. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rudy; as to business closures.....I find if you go on google maps; follow along on your intended route and get in fairly close the businesses all come up as you go past them. From that I clic on the icons and then open their website. Usually you can tell from that if they are open or closed. I don't think you will find many of the service businesses closed. Our government handed out a lot of borrowed money to help them survive.
  10. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks

Oddometer:
    Rudy, If you truck a bike to my place, you can leave it parked here. Get on the bike and ride.
    You know we are having bad fire season already, and no sign of let up.
    PM me if interested.
    Chillis, Wierdrider and black 8 like this.
  11. Bigbob1

Oddometer:
    Chillis likes this.
  12. Bigbob1

Oddometer:
    Good tip @B10Dave

I have been checking on all my normal gas stops and they seem to have survived. Most are in the community's so no issues with them.
    The longest run would be Watson Lake to Teslin, 162 miles. Continental Divide Services on this leg may be open but I have not been able to confirm that yet. There are other stops along the Alcan that may be open but these are my stops. Riding a Wing and some times pulling a Roll-A-Home camper with no extra gas other than a 30oz fuel bottle.

Dawson Creek
    Pink Mountain, 140 mi
    Fort Nelson, 140 mi
    Toad River, 117 mi
    Coal River Lodge, 107 mi New owners that are fixing up the place
    Watson Lake, 94 mi
    Teslin, 162 mi
    Whitehorse, 110 mi
    Haines Junction, 100 mi
    Destruction Bay, 66 mi
    Beaver Creek, 116 mi.
    Tok, 110 mi
    Delta Junction, 107 mi
    Fairbanks, 95 mi
    Chillis, Wierdrider, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  13. black 8

Oddometer:
    :thumb
    Chillis and villageidiot like this.
  14. black 8

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input everyone...

A lot of reading the last couple of days like the "Alaska Primer", "Two Bob's Alaska 2016..." (18 Aug-18 Sept 2016), and recently "How late is too late for Canada/Alaska?" threads and the common theme as Bigbob1 stated is getting off the AlCan by Labor Day.

I want the ability to loiter for a while to catch the autumn colors through Alaska and the Canadian provinces. So I'm heavily leaning towards basecamping and takin' the Monkey with me.

However, things are still fluid with the US extending the border closure until Aug 21st and fears over a Delta variant wave... until I see published guidance limiting travel into Canada, I'm planning on basecamping to Alaska next month.
    Chillis, B10Dave, eaglescan and 5 others like this.