Travel Journal & Motography...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Aug 4, 2020.

1. black 8

black 8 motography memories...

Oddometer:
    I happen to pass by that post office by accident and didn’t even know that was there. I pulled a u’ey and was surprised when I read the plaque. The PO was closed when I was there and I’ll have to bring the family by to get the post mark, maybe send ourselves a card the next time we are in Kissimmee...

I view my day trips as scouting parties so I can later show Mrs. B8 the places I find...
  2. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ 12 Feb 2021

~ (Day 3 & 4 weekend of 6 & 7 Feb 2021)

I spent Saturday getting the Duc ready with a trip up to Sanford to visit Sky Powersports to get the new rear tire installed. It took about a hour which gave me a chance to look at their showroom floor. While I was there, they were unveiling a bike... so I thought I'd partake in the festivities.

1.jpeg

thought it was a new model but turned out to be a custom 848 Evo track bike build in conjunction with the dealership...
    2.jpeg

3.jpeg

hmmmm... :hmmmmm
    4.jpeg

5.jpeg

Sunday was spent packing gear and what I couldn't fit on the bike was set aside to be mailed off for an early Monday departure with an acceptable weather window; or so I thought...

(Day 5, 8 Feb 2021)

I left Kissimmee in the wee hours of the morning taking state and US routes to stay off the interstate as much as I could until Tallahassee...

6.jpeg

I love these country roads... I enjoyed riding at a leisurely pace on this beautiful cool morning...
    7.jpeg

8.jpeg

As I rode east to my hotel in Moss Point, the clouds started accumulating and grew darker. Luckily I got in before dark where I hunkered down for the night. Thunderstorms were forecasted overnight and scattered rain in the morning. Prior to my departure I looked at the National Weather Map and the middle of the country looked to be dry after Moss Point. NOT...

Little did I know the forecast had changed and a winter storm was making it's was down from the north pushing into Texas...
  3. NSFW

NSFW who else would love noobs? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    rudy. really i am enjoying FL without being there. thanks for keeping the reports up to date. it would be nice to see food pics. lol.
  4. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ (Day 6, 9 Feb 2021)

The distant thunderstorms woke me in the middle of the night... and I could hear the rain coming down. It was a preview to what was coming in the following days during this cross-country run...

In the morning while getting the bike ready, I was met with a light sprinkle and it would persist throughout the day so the rain suit came out. I hate that feeling when it's cool outside but as you get the the bike ready you start to perspire; add to that donning the rain suit afterwards you get all clammy and the inside of your visor fog up... I couldn't wait to get on the road so the air flow would wick away some of that moisture...

9.jpeg

fog and light mist was in the menu the entire morning...
    10.jpeg

no motography was happening today...
    11.jpeg

even as I entered the Great State of Texas...
    12.jpeg

The fog and clouds finally dissipated around Katy Mills where I stopped for a late lunch at Buc-ee's. I felt like having some brisket. I was hoping for the breakfast brisket tacos with egg but it was only served in the mornings. If you haven't been to a Buc-ee's, it needs to be experienced. By far it's one of the best travel stops for a break, grab some good food, with the cleanest bathrooms anywhere... I walked into the men's room to take a pic for context but after much thought would send the wrong vibes and my @ss wouldn't get beat... you just need to see it for yourselves... :lol3

13.jpeg

14.jpeg

15.jpeg

My stop for the evening was in Luling, TX... another Buc-ee's was in the area so the first order of business in the morning was a cup of coffee and a breakfast brisket taco with egg...
  5. black 8

Oddometer:
    Not so much during this trip Joel as the weather really sucked @ss and I couldn't get much sightseeing done or visit the food places I was looking forward to. I'm planning to throw one of the bikes on the hitch carrier and take the Ranger back east for some base camping in a few weeks after I spend time with the family...
    dp064, Chillis, sealsam and 3 others like this.
  6. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ (Day 7, 10 Feb 2021)

After my morning ritual of getting ready and packing the bike... more rain and fog as I made my way home. I was oblivious to what was happening just north of me with the freezing temps coming down. The roads were slick from the morning precipitation and dense fog. The Texas roads crews were busy laying down anti-icing agent on the highways throughout my route west... Again no motography happening... just some iPhone photos so I could have a record of my ride home...

16.jpeg

it would be a cold and wet ride just like the previous day... I didn't get a reprieve from the weather until I got to Fort Stockton....
    17.jpeg

I stopped in El Paso for some BBQ before I got to my hotel in Deming, NM... nothing like some moist brisket; just melts in your mouth like "butta..."
    18.jpeg

~ (Day 8, 11 Feb 2021)

the dash says it all and that's in the hotel parking lot... the temperature dropped down to 28℉ once I got out to the open desert...
    19.jpeg

after crossing the Agriculture Inspection in California...
    20.jpeg

Home Sweet Home...
    21.jpeg

Although my early departure was unplanned, in the back of my head I knew I was going to run into foul weather since winter storms are known to happen during these months. I was looking for a glimmer of hope that I could do some exploring on the way back but that did not come to fruition. It wasn't meant to be this go-around but at least I managed to ride cross-country during these COVID times. While I wait and see what happens with the Canadian Border, I plan to revisit The Texas Hill Country, Big Bend National Park, and points east with one of the smaller bikes in tow...

:beer
  7. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rudy; don't expect the border to open before at least the fall. At the rate our dumbass Liberal government is getting vaccines delivered we will be at least September before everyone who wants vaccinated will be. I don't expect the border to open until that happens. Enjoy your country this year and come on up North next year.
    Thumpercrazee, dp064, Manny U and 5 others like this.
  8. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your posts are a great encouragement to those us who, for whatever reason, cannot or will not ride at the moment. Thanks!
    dp064, Chillis, sealsam and 5 others like this.
  9. Wierdrider

Wierdrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome home Rudy
    Thumpercrazee, dp064, Chillis and 4 others like this.
  10. black 8

Oddometer:
    I hear ya' Dave...

No worries John... I'm comfortable, at this point in time, traveling in non-restricted states as I have dealt with HAZMAT environments before in my past life. I take preemptive measures, conduct personal, and equipment decontamination to mitigate the likelihood of contracting the virus. I refuse to lose another year of riding; I have places to go , things to see, people to meet, and foodie places to visit...

Thanks Jim... at least I can get some desert riding in after some family time.
    Thumpercrazee, Manny U, Zubb and 10 others like this.
  11. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ 14 Feb 2021

~ Dodged another bullet...

My BIL sent this photo from his backyard in El Paso this morning... I was lucky in selecting the weather window for my ride home to SoCal...

1.jpeg

weather.com Sunday 14 Feb 2021...
    2.jpeg
  12. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    LUCKY SKUNK !!!! :evil
    Chillis, Wierdrider, sealsam and 2 others like this.
  13. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes you are lucky in your timing. My wife has been in touch with her sister in the Austin area and they are shocked at the snow
  14. black 8

Oddometer:
    Punxsutawney Phil did predict 6 more weeks of winter... :lol3
    Manny U, Chillis, Wierdrider and 7 others like this.
  15. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My brother in Fort Worth all snowed up today too
    Chillis, Wierdrider, sealsam and 3 others like this.
  16. CJSRider

CJSRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On the Canadian Border opening, since they were late in getting vaccines ordered, they are not expecting to have much delivered until August or September. I don't know if they will open their borders with out there own people being vaccinated. At least in the US it looks like August or September anyone that wants the vaccine will have had a chance. Can't wait for things to open back up.
  17. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome home!

Major brownie points on the weather timing!!

Ready for some Loco Moco?

Calling @NSFW & @villageidiot and whoever would like to tag along.
  18. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    oooh you know where ill be!

be super tough for my non retired still working ass to get out during the week, but I'm game most weekends.
    dp064, Chillis, Wierdrider and 5 others like this.
  19. black 8

Oddometer:
    I used to keep track of the US/Canadian border status on a monthly basis and every month the border closure would get extended to the following month. I also read about the COVID updates as much as I could but that got old quick since no progress was being made to open the border.

My attitude now is; "when it opens, it opens..." I'm not wastin' anymore time reading and waiting like last year. I'm preppin' the other bikes to get out and about.
    Folly1, Chillis, B10Dave and 9 others like this.
  20. black 8

Oddometer:
    Everyday is the weekend for me... just let me know what's best; this weekend, next weekend, I'm game...
    Chillis, Wierdrider, JRowland and 4 others like this.