Travel Journal & Motography...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Aug 4, 2020.

1. black 8

black 8 motography memories...

Oddometer:
    ~ 8 Apr 2021

~ POD: Oscar Mike to the Texas Hill Country...

Some shots I captured on the way out of Big Bend National Park and US-90 headed to Llano, TX...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpeg

5.jpg

Pecos River Bridge...
    6.jpeg

7.jpg

My basecamp for the next couple of days was the Oxford Ranch Campgrounds in LLano. When I checked-in, I inquired about a tent site for three nights and the proprietor said it was $10.00 per night. He then proceeded to tell me the rules; where to pitch my tent, the bathhouse, limits of the campgrounds... I handed him $30.00 and that was it... no signing in, no paperwork, nothin'... Good-to-go.

It's advertised as a working ranch and I believe it as there were cow patties all over, a watering hole just a few yards from my location AND the most important part, secluded as heck as I had the place to myself until the weekend came... The temps were in the 90s so I opted to just relax for the remainder of the day, make myself a turkey sandwich with chips, and finish it off with a cold Corona...

8.jpg

afterwards I just sat in my rocking chair and enjoyed the remainder of the evening...
    9.jpg

Tomorrow, bluebonnet hunting and THC bbq...

BigDogRaven, cliffb, dano619 and 13 others like this.
  2. NSFW

NSFW who else would love noobs? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    rudy. awesome updates, your pics are stunning. makes me want to ride out there.

keep them coming. thanks.
    JRowland, Manny U, klaviator and 5 others like this.
  3. The Virginian

The Virginian YouTube n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Living the dream Rudy! Thanks for all the effort in pic and narrative. I'm excited to see your drone footage. Which drone did you go with?
  4. Manny U

Manny U Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I hope they do open them up by summer. Although, the amount of RV's clogging our two lane highways is much lower when they weren't open :lol3 but hey its good for business!. Its not nearly the trip that most of you have to make from the lower 48 but I booked the days off work and plan to head up to Prudhoe Bay the end of June, its only a 4-5 day trip for me from Delta.
    JRowland, NSFW, villageidiot and 3 others like this.
  5. black 8

Oddometer:
    You definitely need to come out here Joel...

I'm making every effort to live by "YOLO..." Eric.

I haven't been able to break out the drone yet due to heavy winds since the Mavic Mini weighs only 249 grams... I've been strictly using the camera and GoPro for now...

6. black 8

Oddometer:
    Nice... send us some pics...
  7. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ 9 Apr 2021

~ POD: Ride around Llano for bluebonnets and have bbq for "luner..."

I have to first say that I loathe Texas for the longest... It takes over 12 hours to cross the 800 exits on the I-10, the roads are confusing with one way service roads, it took me a while to figure out the turn around only lane, and more... That was then, when I was still working and I treated Texas as an annoyance to be crossed on the way to Florida to visit my parents with 14 days of vacation time. Now that I'm retired and have slowed down to smell the roses; I've grown to appreciate Texas...

Texas Hill Country sunrise...
    1.jpeg

2.jpeg

Willow City Loop, well know for bluebonnets and other springtime blooms...
    3.jpg

they say pictures are words a thousand words sooooooo....
    4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg
    BigDogRaven, Chethro, cliffb and 11 others like this.
  8. black 8

Oddometer:
    All manner of conveyance were out on this spring day hunting for bluebonnets from; BMW car clubs, Corvettes, Dodge Vipers, a whole lot of HDs, I've never seen so many Polaris Slingshots riding around in one area, bicycle clubs, and the like - all looking for the same thing I was. As I rode around Llano, I had an epiphany. I understood the appeal of riding around the THC during this time. You just needed to get away from the super slab and hit the backroads to find riding bliss...

spring is everywhere, even on the sides of the roads...
    10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpeg

after riding around Llano it was time for some "luner" - the time between lunch and diner...
    15.jpeg

On todays menu was the three meat combo since I didn't have breakfast in anticipation of THC bbq. I just carried a couple of Kind bars to hold me over. I ordered up some brisket, tri-tip, and pork ribs with sides. This bbq has got to be the best that I have tasted thus far. The seasoning the pit master used is awwwwesome! There is a hint of pleasant heat to wake up the taste buds to say "hello..." without reaching for a drink. I didn't need any salt, pepper, or bbq sauce at all, it was perfect as is... well worth waiting for luner...

16.jpeg

afterwards it was back to camp, sit in the rocker, and wait for sunset with a cold drink in hand...
    17.jpg

perfect way to end today’s ride...
    18.jpeg
  9. black 8

Oddometer:
  10. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Living large Rudy!! Thanks for update!
    black 8, Wierdrider and Chillis like this.
  11. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great sky in the video!
    black 8, Dirt Road Cowboy and Chillis like this.
  12. Zubb

Oddometer:
    Great post /RR with great pics as always Rudy.

I’m RE-thinking my photo kit for Moto travel. I’ve always been purposefully limited to iPhone pics and vid. Because, it’s always with me. It stays charged on the bike. It’s easily editable and shareable with pleasant to look at quality. It takes zero extra space on the bike or in a bag.
    But.......
    I’m thinking GoPro 9 and a quality point and shoot that can accept an ND /polarized filter.

I guess I posted that just to say, I respect and envy your Photog skills and process. Awesome pics and you inspire me to shoot more and better.

Great report Rudy. I feel more relaxed just seeing your rocker by the campfire.
    B10Dave, Manny U, klaviator and 4 others like this.
  13. black 8

Oddometer:
    It's all about the retirement now dano...

Thanks Kelly...

I agree... while iPhones have come a long way, a good P&S camera has a better sensor and lens allowing for greater detail.

I'm of the camp that I'd rather sacrifice a bit of bulk so I can have the quality that I want for MY memories when I relive my adventures...
    B10Dave, Manny U, Zubb and 3 others like this.
  14. KICKNBACK

KICKNBACK Old enough to know better young enough not to care

Oddometer:
    I like the blur effects of my dropped many times Polaroid One-Step since my Brownie stopped working. :lol3
    Thanks for taking us along!
    B10Dave, klaviator, Chillis and 2 others like this.
  15. black 8

Oddometer:
    I went to Walmart a few months ago to ask their camera department if they had rolls of 35mm film and this millennial gives me the dumbfounded stare and had to ask for help... which he got aaaand they carried a three pack of Fujifilm in 400 ISO... I'll never forget that look on his face as he tried to process my question...
  16. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ 10 Apr 2021

~ POD: See the Texas White House and have a beer at Luckenbach...

I did a map recce of the Texas Hill Country and one of the POIs that came up was the LBJ National Historic Park. I just slowly meandered my way south to Fredericksburg for a McD's breakfast and afterwards continued east on US-290 to the park.

a bit of history in the LBJ Ranch otherwise known as the Texas White House...
    1.jpg

lovely property... the self guided tour goes along the perimeter of the ranch to see different aspects of the ranch...
    2.jpg

the picture shows the hangar and the ranch house but the property is much bigger...
    3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg
    dp064, jowul, RedDogAlberta and 12 others like this.
  17. Zubb

Oddometer:
    :jack
  18. black 8

Oddometer:
    By the time I finished exploring the LBJ Ranch, lunch time had rolled around and THC bbq was calling my name... Yesterday's three meat combo gave me the meat sweats so I chose the lighter bbq chicken to see if it was just as tasty... mmmm MMMM! mmm... Yup, confirmed. The chicken was perfectly seasoned and moist. I've had bbq chicken at other unnamed bbq places where it was dry as heck that when you tried to swallow, it got stuck in your gullet and you had to grab a drink just to wash it down. Not the case here...

having those pickle slices in between the bbq chicken was more awesome goodness...
    10.jpeg

After a great lunch, I headed off to Luckenbach to hopefully catch the bands and have a couple of beers while listening to some tunes...

not more than 15 minutes of me parking the XT-250, three groups of riders rolled in to help fill the motorcycle parking lot...
    11.jpg

12.jpg

well worth the $5.00 price tag to sit down and enjoy some tunes... well enough to merit another so I can sit a spell...
    13.jpeg

14.jpeg

the other stage at Luckenbach...
    15.jpg

16.jpg

on the way back to camp, I decided to cool off by grabbing a DQ cone and finishing it off in the parking lot...
    17.jpeg

after prepping the Ranger and XT-250 for our next adventure... I just relaxed and enjoyed the peace and quite "away from the things of man..."
    18.jpeg

Where to next as I pondered my next adventure... bbq brisket tacos came to mind for breakfast... :hmmmmm
  19. black 8

Oddometer:
    atmosphere at the Luckenbach biergarten...
  20. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    This post sets the benchmark for "Enjoying a well-planned retirement." You done good, Sir!
    dp064, Zubb, Chillis and 3 others like this.