Travel Journal & Motography...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Aug 4, 2020.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like a fun adventure!

What elevation were you at when the Monkey couldn't pull any more? The couple that did the TAT only had to get off and push one time as I remember it and that was at high elevation somewhere in Colorado.

Honda should make their Grom/Monkey/Super Cub with a 150cc motor and 5 speed. Some of the competition is already going that direction. Benelli makes a TNT135 with 135cc, 4 valve head and 5 speed.
  2. black 8

black 8 motography memories...

Oddometer:
    After backtracking down to NF-61, I made my way back towards Anderson Ranch Reservoir to pick up Section 1 of the IDBDR...

Lester Creek Rd (NF-128) would lead to the reservoir... a nice groomed dirt trail...
    28.jpg

29.jpg

twisties galore!!! the trail follows the curves of the reservoir as seen in the foreground and you can barely make out the trail in the background just at the treetops to the left of the photo...
    30.jpg

Anderson Ranch Reservoir would have made for some awesome photos if it weren't for all this smoke... I'll have to mark this as a redo the next time I make it up to Southern Idaho... just riding around the reservoir is worth it...
    31.jpg

32.jpg

Anderson Ranch Dam was where I crossed the reservoir, its got one lane and you have to wait for the traffic light to cross...
    33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg
    Skooter, jowul, BigDogRaven and 13 others like this.
  3. black 8

Oddometer:

Looking at my GPS, it says that I was at 8,513 ft and 9,451 ft to the peak...

I agree, making those platforms with a 150cc motor would make them much better; at least for U.S. application and what we would put it through when compared to other markets...

That seat is soooo comfortable though! It's like riding on pillows...
    JRowland, B10Dave, Wierdrider and 4 others like this.
  4. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome stuff here Rudy!
  5. black 8

Oddometer:
    Thanks Colby...

the hitch carrier opens up new opportunities for the Monkey and XT-250 in terms of extended getaways (read distance)...
  6. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    100% hitch carriers can be great when used inside their intended limits weight wise.
    klaviator, black 8 and Chillis like this.
  7. black 8

Oddometer:
    Once I made it to the top of Anderson Dam Rd, it transitioned to asphalt and led me back to US-20 and I slabbed it back to Mountain Home... I celebrated today's ride by grillin' two steaks and washing it down with some Japanese Sake...

37.jpg

I can get used to this glamping deal!!! screw the dehydrated stuff...
    38.jpg

39.jpg

watching the sun set whilst enjoying some sake in the comfort of my rocking chair...
    40.jpg

I contemplated my plan for tomorrow; to finish Section 1 down to the border and make a loop back to Mountain Home... but for now I just lavished in the moment...
    Skooter, jowul, ie_adv_noob and 20 others like this.
  8. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks

Oddometer:
    Looks like you had a great time, in spite of smoke. You are doing it right, don't think you could get that cooler and chair on any bike! the monkey looks happy with dirt on the wheels.
    dp064, Wierdrider, klaviator and 2 others like this.
  9. black 8

Oddometer:
    Thanks Steve, I did have a great time base camping for the first time and I got to see what did/didn't work...

The cooler will come in handy once I make trips out to Death Valley...
  10. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    For sure.. great pics!
    villageidiot, black 8 and Chillis like this.
  11. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ 17 Sept 2020

~ POD: Section 1 of the IDBDR, Three Creek Hwy, and the Evel Knievel Jump Site...

After a hearty breakfast I was all fueled for a long day in the saddle... I wanted to run more off-road trails on the IDBDR, supposedly it's big bike friendly and my aim to do a recce so I can come back later on and run the entire IDBDR...

today's route
    1.png

some scenery I encountered along the way...
    2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg
    Skooter, jowul, Manny U and 16 others like this.
  12. black 8

Oddometer:
    motorcycles and photography are two of my passions... this platform allows me to relive what I've done...

thanks for the kind words and for tagging along... :thumb
  13. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I love the Monkey adventures. I had coffee this morning with Edmonton's Crude City Scooter Club. Talk about an eclectic group of characters. Old British cars and old Italian scooters - and one fire breathing Grom today. :D Not youngsters either. A neurosurgeon, a university professor who's restoring a Lotus Elan, a cellist with the Edmonton Symphony, a single mom social worker who drives an MG Midget, etc.

The Grom has introduced me to a wider scope of people and riders than I ever thought possible.
    jowul, Wierdrider, NSFW and 6 others like this.
  14. black 8

Oddometer:
    Little bikes Rule!

I choose my wee-bikes more so than my GSA or 1200 Enduro... but that's not to say I won't use them, I have plans for them when the time comes...
    B10Dave, MYUMPH, Wierdrider and 6 others like this.
  15. black 8

Oddometer:
    pavement ends at Pothole Rd that's lined with grass fields... the water truck had just watered the trail to keep dust to a minimum...
    10.jpg

headed deeper into the IDBDR... the trail is mainly hard packed gravel and will shake the sh!t out of the bike (at least the Monkey with its 4" of travel)
    11.jpg

looking back at Pothole Rd... loose gravel and dirt...
    12.jpg

13.jpg

This was the reason I brought along the Monkey for this adventure... the Monkey was newer than the XT-250 and I wanted the reliability while out in the middle of nowhere...

in the middle of the big empty...
    14.jpg

absolutely nothing out here...
    15.jpg

16.jpg

just me and free range bovine... I had to beep my horn on multiple occasions to get them to move...
    17.jpg

18.jpg
  16. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    FIXT
  17. black 8

Oddometer:
    32 miles on Pothole Rd onto Clover 3 Creek Rd... still 41 miles to go until I hit Three Creek Hwy...
    19.jpg

20.jpg

an oasis in the middle of nowhere... must be getting close back to civilization...
    21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

almost there...
    24.jpg

25.jpg

After getting off Section 1, I was ready for a change of pace and different scenery. I wanted to ride a remote road and enjoy a leisurely ride along the countryside... Three Creek highway seems to fill that bill...

Three Creek Hwy...
    26.jpg

really nice house out here...
    27.jpg
  18. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe he found some good stuff in the mine behind his house!
    JRowland, sealsam, Wierdrider and 3 others like this.
  19. black 8

Oddometer:
    I had Three Creek Hwy all to myself which meant that I could just take my time without worrying about a cage speeding up behind me...the Monkey was in her happy zone of about 45/50 mph...

28.jpg

love riding through rustic countrysides...
    29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

virgin asphalt on Three Creek Hwy...
    35.jpg

a wildfire off in the distance creating all this smoke...
    36.jpg
  20. black 8

Oddometer:
    Salmon Falls Creek Reservoir near Rogerson, ID...
    37.jpg

Salmon Falls Creek Dam...
    38.jpg

After fueling at Rogerson, it was a straight shot up US-93 to Twins Fall, ID in search of Evel Knievel's jump site...

"On September 8, 1974, with much media fanfare, daredevil Evel Knievel tried and failed to leap the mile-wide chasm of the Snake River Canyon on his specially engineered rocket motorcycle. His drogue parachute malfunctioned and opened on take-off. Evel and his contraption floated to the bottom of the canyon, landing on the riverbank directly below his launch ramp..."

I tried riding to the jump site but there were multiple signs that stated "Private Property or No Trespassing..." on the road that led to it. I guess the locals are sick of visitors driving to the jump site. I was able to get a glimpse of the jump site at a walkway along the canyon's edge... However, there is a walking path that allows access to the jump site but it was a three mile walk in and three miles out. I didn't feel like hiking the six miles with my moto gear in mid-90s temps nor was I comfortable leaving the Monkey and my gear in a parking lot...

the Snake River Canyon where you can see Evel Knievel's ramp on the right side...
    39.jpg

zoomed view...
    40.jpg

afterwards I hopped on Old US-30 back towards Mountain Home...
    41.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg

It had been a long day with almost 300 miles on the Monkey today but well worth it riding the big empty, seeing rustic landscapes, and finding virgin asphalt... it was good getting back to camp and grabbing a cold drink from the cooler. After taking care of the Monkey and getting gear put away, it was time for dinner...

something different for tonight... sweet Italian sausage with mini bell peppers to go with pasta...
    44.jpg

45.jpg

The rest of my plan was to break camp and set-up in Stanley, ID for some motography. I decided to break contact and head home instead after seeing the wildfires from Three Creek Hwy spewing smoke in that direction. I intend to come back anyway to ride Anderson Ranch Reservoir again so I might as well wait till then when the smoke clears...

The rest of the evening was spent packing up for departure in the morning. It was an uneventful drive back home, one that I was glad to drive instead of ride due to the high temps through the deserts...

I had some take away lessons for my first time base camping; what/what not to bring, tested some new glamping gear, and so forth... procedures and gear to be refined the next time out...

I'm already looking forward to my next trip to explore Idaho...

:beer
    Skooter, jowul, ie_adv_noob and 23 others like this.