Travel Journal & Motography...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What tire pressure are you running on those "fluffy" tires on the bumpier stuff, or just one pressure all the time.
    Chillis and black 8 like this.
  2. black 8

black 8 motography memories...

Oddometer:
    I was runnin' 28 psi since I had a mix of dirt and asphalt...

I was cognizant of the fact the Monkey has cast wheels so I picked my line and stayed below 30 mph however, I was running above 40 mph on the groomed trails...
  3. pnw

pnw Long timer

Oddometer:

Great report, thanks for sharing. Too bad about the smoke - it has finally cleared out around here with cool temps and some rain, what a relief.

I understand that people want what they want but where could the Hunter Cub/CT 125 go that the Monkey can't? Same engine other than the auto clutch on the CT125, CT weighs ~30+ pounds more than the Monkey. A TW200 can go almost anywhere and not much heavier than the CT125. I put a few thousand miles on one and liked it but didn't love it. To me the new CT125 is more of a C125 styling exercise rather than a substantive heir to the old CT90/110 throne. Announcement of the CT125 doesn't seem to have cut asking prices for the old CTs, they are higher than ever. I'm still hoping to get some riding in this fall before the rain, cold and higher elevation snow sets in.
  4. Wierdrider

Wierdrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice trip and RR Rudy, thanks again for taking us along. I’m sure you’re gonna tell us about the tweaks to your glamping gear right?
    Did you ever pass another vehicle? It looked like you had the whole trip to your self.:clap
    sealsam, dp064, Chillis and 1 other person like this.
  5. black 8

Oddometer:
    In a nutshell, I'm after the 17" spoked wheels more than anything on the Hunter Cub... that and the big @ss rear rack to haul stuff and attach a single pannier for longer adventures... I have no delusions about the 125's capabilities, the Monkey and the Hunter Cub practically have the same specs but for the 17" spoke wheels. IMHO the Hunter Cub's 17s would be much better than Monkey's 12" cast wheels off road. I'm weary that I might crack the cast wheels while off-road.

I'm taking a platform somewhere the designers probably never intended for it to go. Sure I can jump up to a TW200 and get better capabilities but then it would take the fun out of the whole exercise... something about off roading a little bike that puts a smile on my face every time. It just wouldn't be the same with a 200+ cc bike... I know, first world problems right...

If I had a Hunter Cub in hand right now, I'd be getting that thing ready for a ride up to Alaska next year. That's just me, I like to haze myself and take the path less traveled...

Hope that explains my thought process...

:beer

Thanks Jim,

I meant to take a photo of my cargo management solution, luckily I haven't unloaded it yet so I still have a chance...

Yes and no... there were SxS coming down Trinity Mountain and other traffic on the US routes that I was on but once I was on the IDBDR and Three Creek Highway, I was all by my lonesome...

:beer
  6. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    @black 8, I like that you are taking the Monkey places other people wouldn't. It's fun to do things differently than most people. Keep it coming.
  7. Dirt Road Cowboy

Dirt Road Cowboy I aim to misbehave.

Oddometer:
    You said huge rack! :lol3
  8. pnw

pnw Long timer

Oddometer:
    Black 8, do you have a link to the maps you used besides BDR? If all goes well I'll be in the John Day area in the next week or two for a few day bicycle ride, I might drag an old CT along. It is only ~200 miles to Mountain Home from John Day and an easy I-84 drive back home after checking it out.
    Wierdrider, black 8 and Chillis like this.
  9. black 8

Oddometer:
    Jim, here's my cargo management solution instead of buying a Decked Storage System at nearly $1,500.00...

Instead, storage totes from Costco and a used cargo net I bought from eBay...

everything stowed...
    1.jpg

2X for wood, 2X five gallon jugs of water, camping gear tote, moto gear tote, rocking chair, rotomolded cooler, Redverz Solo, and a sand mat...
    2.jpg

this ice hasn't been touched since Thursday evening and has been in the back of the truck since then... glad to know that I'll have cold beverages after a long day of riding... even after 4 days of being left out in 90+ ℉...
    3.jpg

Thanks Ladybug...

With the Monkey I just point and go to have fun... not so much with bigger/heavier bikes like my R1200GSA worrying about picking up a 540 lbs moto or tall seat height in off-camber situation...

Here's my GPX file I used for my trip... let me know if that works for you...

Attached Files:

10. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    As a kid we used to go to Anderson and snag Kokanee salmon during the run. You could almost walk across the water on their backs it was so thick with them. Thanks for the memories brother.
    jowul, Wierdrider, sealsam and 4 others like this.
  11. black 8

Oddometer:
    I'm just barely scratching the surface exploring Idaho and the neighboring states...

I had planned for several days but the wildfires in Oregon and Washington put a Kibosh on my plans so I opted just for quick recce and I liked what I found...

You know me... I always keep going back at least once a year...
    jowul, JRowland, Wierdrider and 8 others like this.
  12. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Since you had said you considered solar, I was curious it you'd considered a panel, power supply and a small refrigerator. No reason to complicate things though when you have a cooler that works that well!
    Don
  13. black 8

Oddometer:
    I own a 120W solar panel and a 500wh solar generator (power station) mostly for charging my computer, cell, drone batteries, and camping lights. I never gave a small fridge any thought, instead I went with a rotomolded cooler to keep it simple; one less thing to fail. That's my set-up when base camping.

For moto-adventures, I have a folding 60W solar panel about the size of a hard bound novel and a compact 166wh solar generator to pull the same duty when I'm camping with the bike. Before I relied on plugging my stuff at McD's while I ate or at a Tim Horton's to update live RR but it's harder these days to find a plug-in source due to in-dining restrictions. So I decided to be self-reliant for power while living off the bike...

Rudy
    jowul, B10Dave, Wierdrider and 6 others like this.
  14. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Outstanding:clap:clap

Anderson Ranch reservoir looks really cool. I really like the concept of hauling the bike in the truck and base camping. I've been doing that for a long time but you have taken it to another level. I'm glad it worked out for you and I'm looking forward to seeing your future Glamping adventures!
  15. black 8

Oddometer:
    Base camping allows me to save on incidentals, specifically food, water, adult beverages, and firewood... i.e. - a bundle of firewood locally is about $4.99 but out at Death Valley I'm looking at $9.99... they've capitalized on the concept of supply and demand for sure... at Lone Pine I was paying about $7.99... same with water, I pay .25 cents per gallon at the Glacier purified dispenser as compared to $1.49 for 33.8 fluid ounces...

Base camping will be a force multiplier for extended rides around Death Valley/US-395 corridor once it cools off in the coming weeks...
    The Virginian, Manny U, dp064 and 9 others like this.
  16. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Savings will pay for that new Ranger in almost no time! :rofl

Seriously though, you've got a great set-up there . . .
    dp064, Chillis, Wierdrider and 3 others like this.
  17. black 8

Oddometer:

Just pinching pennies so I can stay out longer on adventures...

You should see me when I break out my coupon book now that I'm retired... :lol3

jowul, Manny U, Ladybug and 11 others like this.
  18. pnw

pnw Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting the file. Change of plans but thanks also because your trip report got the ball rolling for me.
    If all goes well I'll drive up to Plummer ID next week and bicycle the Coeur d'Alene trail to Wallace ID, spend a night or two there then ride back.
    Magruder Corridor has been on my bucket list, was closed earlier in the summer - hopefully open now. Only a couple hundred mile drive from Plummer to Elk City then take the CT on the Magruder, maybe not all the way but who knows. Weather supposed to be good next week.
  19. black 8

Oddometer:
    Wow... that's got to be a scenic route... I just googled Trail of the Coeur d' Alenes and love how it hugs the lakes and rivers... :thumb

No worries, another inmate @NSFW inspired me to ride Idaho last week...

Like you, I have a bucket list for Idaho: ID-21 to Idaho City and Stanley, US-12 from Lewiston to Lolo Pass, NF-1614 to NF246 up to Burgdorf Hot Springs, US-2 to Glacier NP, and the list keeps growing...
  20. pnw

pnw Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was back there last year, stayed in Wallace and rode the Trail of the Hiawatha - beautiful bike ride including through old train tunnels up to a mile long (if I remember correctly). Couple weeks ago I did a 64 mile bike ride here in the Columbia Gorge, fun but with killer (for me anyway) long climbs and about 3,500 ft elevation gain. I had to call my wife to pick me up in Cascade Locks. Heyburn state park near Plummer is less than 60 miles from Wallace and with only about 750ft total elevation gain so I'm looking forward to a nice ride without hills to climb.

I've done Lolo Pass on a scooter on the way to Glacier NP 3 years ago. If you take your Monkey you might look into taking Lolo Motorway, gravel/dirt, scenic. North of and roughly parallels 12 to around Powell Ranger station area.

On the the Hiawatha bike trail outside Wallace.
    20190604_133457 (1).jpg

20190604_105825 (1).jpg

Lolo Pass '17 (carried way too much unnecessary stuff)
    DSCF0030.JPG
    jowul, The Virginian, Manny U and 8 others like this.