Travel tips Balkans and Romania.

Discussion in 'EMEA' started by tosko, May 4, 2019.

1. tosko

tosko n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello friends. I introduce myself. I am Tosko, a biker since I was 14 years old and I have experience in long trips, almost always alone. This summer we are two Spanish bikers that we plan to make during the month of June a trip along the former Yugoslav republics (in principle all of them) and also Albania and Romania, where we will cross the famous Transafagastan road. Our plan is flexible and we go on Vespa well equipped paths, with good weather we will sleep in the tent in principle. We seek experiences and advice on how to draw the best route and especially the most interesting places, especially for its scenic beauty and fun roads. We can make some clues, but in principle and when it comes to Vespa, almost the entire route has to be asphalt. We left by the border of Spain-France. We await your answers and send you a warm greeting.
    -Tosko

Attached Files:

2. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Tosko,
    One tip I have straight away is if you plan visiting both Serbia and Kosovo go to Serbia first as once there is a Kosovan stamp in your passport you cannot use it to enter Serbia and both are worth visiting.
    tosko likes this.
  3. sasho

sasho Dual Personality

Oddometer:
    Transalpina in Romania is also not to be missed.
    MrVvrroomm and tosko like this.
  4. pip_muenster

pip_muenster curious

Oddometer:
    As a German, I can enter Serbia with my ID card, so it doesn't matter what other stamps may be in my passport. This may apply for Spanish citizens as well, check with your foreign office.
    tosko likes this.
  5. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am a Brit and we don't have id cards but I was told by the Serbian police officer who declined my second entry due to a Kosovan stamp that an id card would be acceptable.
    tosko likes this.
  6. pip_muenster

pip_muenster curious

Oddometer:
    You should get the green card from your insurance company, and make sure that they exclude as few countries as possible. It is possible to get all of the Balkan countries on the card, except Kosovo. Insurance for Kosovo can be easily purchased at the border.
    The area is so large that I can't give good tips without more details, and there isn't an area I would particularily avoid either. Just browse through the many Balkan ride reports, see what looks interesting to you, and then ask the author. Mine is here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/exploring-the-balkans-and-a-bit-of-turkey.926839/
    Road conditions shouldn't be a problem for the Vespas, nowadays you have to actively search for unpaved roads.
    tosko likes this.
  7. FinlandThumper

FinlandThumper Sleepy Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Through Bosnia the speed limits are very low and the police love to get a bribe from foreign riders. Stay within the limits especially on roads that are going “through” meaning connecting border points. Bosnia is very nice riding and the people are great but they love to catch foreign people going too fast.
    tosko likes this.
  8. pip_muenster

pip_muenster curious

Oddometer:
    Main roads near towns are notorious for speed traps, not only in Bosnia. One morning, when leaving a campsite in Montenegro, police tagged me by laser doing 70 in a 40 zone. They politely asked me to slow down and send me off. Not being in a hurry, I happily agreed and cruised away. 10 seconds later I hit the brakes, realizing I was back at 70 ...
    :doh
    FinlandThumper and tosko like this.
  9. FinlandThumper

FinlandThumper Sleepy Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I have noticed that they really like using VERY LOW speed limits there. Finland is notorious for stupidly low speed limits like 45-50mph (70-80kmh) in the middle of absolutely nowhere with no cross roads, traffic, or anything for 50km or more, but that was nothing compared to the Balkans.
    spokester likes this.