Travel Trailers because (TTs, 5ers, pop-ups, A-frames and homebuilts welcome)

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Hannda, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Noone

Noone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sitting at a Cross Roads lookin' for a sign
    Well, although I am shortly to become a resident of SD, I intend to "chase 70".
    WVhillbilly and Hannda like this.
  2. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    When SWMBO and I were young this would have been perfect. Now I'd need to be single to use it, but it'd be a great TT if you drove a Tacoma, 4Runner, Frontier or Ridgeline.

3. mslim

mslim If it's worth doing... it's worth overdoing

Oddometer:
    We used to to something similar to your spacers on small block Chevy steel valve covers to keep them from warping at the four hold down bolts.
    IADRTRIDER and ER70S-2 like this.
  4. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    Good friends of ours are also empty nesters. They wanted a larger trailer than the 17 footer they sold, and wanted it to be similar sized and somewhat comparable to the layout of our Airstream 27fb. I really like it. The video below has a somewhat annoying salesman, but it’s still a decent walk thru. They bought a 2019, but I think it’s essentially the same.

5. hankgs

hankgs Long timer

Oddometer:
    Friend has one for sale in Ventura, CA
    Hannda likes this.
  6. WYO George

WYO George Epstein didn’t kill himself

Oddometer:
    My son has a bunch of friends over today and the nerf battle / screaming kids noises were starting to agitate me so I decided to retreat to the camper for some relaxation. I’ve spent the last hour untangling and restringing fishing rods while watching some quality TV. It’s 21 degrees out and snowing so this is about as close as it gets to camping for the next six months.
    25DC9374-BCAF-4421-A4A5-D8B9AEFA720D.jpeg
  7. Dfrnt

Dfrnt Just pluggin' along Supporter

Oddometer:
    Saddest day of the season.

D65D80F7-8360-4480-85F8-3ADC9CE1313A.jpeg
    1stgenfarmboy, Hannda, BCC and 2 others like this.
  8. BillMoore

BillMoore Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Posted this a few hours ago in the Motorhome thread in Shiny Things, but just realized there might be more interest in it here since it is related more to towing...

My WinnieVan came with the factory towing package with the 7 pin connector at the hitch, but no brake controller. We recently traded our little 5x8 cargo trailer for a new one that has brakes (and is color matched to the van), so I wanted to get a controller for the van. After reading up on it, I realized what a pain in the butt it is to add a brake controller to a Ford Transit that didn't come with the factory unit. There is no quick plug in harness available for it, you have to trace out the wires and tap into them.

Because of this, I decided to go with the Tekonsha Prodigy 90250 RF controller. This controller mounts on the trailer, not the tow vehicle, and has a handheld controller that gets paired to it that plugs into a 12V outlet. Took about an hour total to find a good location to install it, drill the holes and hook it up, then pair the handheld unit and test it out. Works really well, and the beauty of it is that the brakes will work with any tow vehicle, just plug in the handheld unit and go. The brakes will work even without the handheld unit, you just lose the ability to manually brake and make adjustments to the settings.

It was a little pricey at $280, but a lot less than it would have cost to get the factory unit installed (at least $500 in parts, and then a trip to the dealership to get it programmed for whatever that would cost), and a lot easier than figuring out where to tap wires for a hardwired aftermarket unit.
    Hannda, AlH, BCC and 3 others like this.
  9. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:

I've put brake controllers in 2 Transits, a 2015 and my current 2018. Both had factory towing packages, but not the optional controller.

I spent hours trying to find the so called harness in my 2015. Finally decided there wasn't one. Ford later released a bulletin stating there wasn't one. Gee thanks Ford wasted a lot of my time when you don't even know what you built.

Similar on my current 2018 found the harness inside using a tone tracer, it was not under the center console cup holder as Ford said.
    The connector was routed to an inaccessible spot high up on the firewall in front of the glove box.
    Would take major disassembly to find it.

In both cases I found the only connection you need to made inside is the brake light switch.

All the other connections can be made under the hood- and in fact there IS a factory pigtail available if you have the towing package. Some Transits come with it in the glovebox, most don't. Doesn't help to have the pigtail if the mating plug is buried 2 hours up under the dash- maybe.

Knowing what I know now I could probably do a third in under an hour. Why Ford makes it such a PITA is a mystery.

Still even with all the little foul up's I love my Transit.
    BillMoore likes this.
  10. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I feel for all who are done for the next few months. We get 1-3 inches of snow tonight, cold tomorrow, but then temperatures will moderate. Just in time for the drive to FL, which happens in 11 days. I can hardly wait. We will stay until the snow and road salt are gone some time in April, though I do have to make a couple of short trips back this winter for various things.

Fuck winter :finger
  11. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Will you be rv'ing the whole time. Moving around?

Bueller likes this.
  12. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    We have one home base, a small RV park/nine hole golf course. The place has about 55 spots, most of the RV’s are permanent, many of the residents are full time. The few transient spots are almost always occupied. We got lucky finding this place. Affordable, clean, and the people are really great.

We will take a few two wheeled trips to visit friends, watch rocket launches, and hopefully spend a weekend in the keys, but the RV will stay at the park.
    Maggot12 likes this.
  13. Daniii

Daniii geezer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    We are headed south on the 25th. T-Day at my sister's in Sarasota, Next weekend with mom in Stuart. Gonna have to get out the electric heaters for the RV tonight - supposed to get into the mid 20's early tomorrow morning. It's always a roulette game with not winterizing. I'll turn on the 100W trouble light in the pump compartment, turn on the water heater, run a second 115 VAC line to the RV for a second 1500 W electric heater and open the cupboards. We'll take our time heading down and back.
    Bueller likes this.
  14. FTL900

FTL900 White and nerdy

Oddometer:
    I used to do that with a 19 foot boat in Atlanta... it was too big for the garage, so I covered it and then on freeze nights, I'd put a drop light into the engine bay. It worked great through several inches of snow.
  15. Hannda

Oddometer:
    Quigley Down Under or one of the Sackett movies? Regardless, the temps you're watching are far warmer than the temps you're living. I like the way you think.:thumb
    IADRTRIDER, ER70S-2 and WYO George like this.
  16. WYO George

WYO George Epstein didn’t kill himself

Oddometer:
    Quigley was correct. One of my favorites. Usually I watch it while cleaning my Sharps, but since I haven’t shot the Sharps lately I just watched it while restringing fishing rods.
  17. Hannda

Oddometer:
    Is that you, Roy?

:lol3

ETA: Wouldn't it be more fun if you were having this discussion with the inmate named "adingoatemybaby" instead of me?
  18. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    ER70S-2, Hannda and MikeFromMT like this.
  19. MikeFromMT

MikeFromMT Dark Web Dangerous

Oddometer:
    Looks safe to me, what could possibly go wrong? :eekers
    ER70S-2 and Hannda like this.
  20. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    Naaahh doesn't look good to me.

He didn't hook up the safety chains- other than that no problem:lol3
    ER70S-2 and Hannda like this.