Traveling in Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Phil/TX, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Phil/TX

Phil/TX Phil/TX

Oddometer:
    I will be traveling from Detroit thru Montreal, then down to Vermont.
    Question: What is the best rout, along the great Lakes, or farther north? What is the speed limit there, Major Highways, and smaller two lane roads?

Thanks, Phil/TX
  2. scratchypants

scratchypants Loathes the impolite

Oddometer:
    Hi Phil. Speed limits are 100 kpa on major highways. Ontario's secondary route speed limits are usually even - 80, 60, 40 while Quebec's are odd - 90, 70, 50.

Flow-of-traffic rules aside, keeping it under 20 kpa over the limit will allow you hassle-free passage.

As for routes, it depends on how much time you have. I don't know too much about the western end of your trip, other than it's a long, boring haul from TO to Montreal via the 401. I hear the lake shore road from Kingston eastward is nice.
  3. Phil/TX

Phil/TX Phil/TX

Oddometer:
    Thanks Looch, I have over a month to prepair, all depends on a friend from Germany, and when he can get over here. I have time to research routs, and also look at sight seeing. BTW most expressway routs are boaring.
  4. pitbull

pitbull Long timer

Oddometer:
    Detroit to T.O is boring and the only way to really do it is on the 401 in 3 hours and get it over with. From T.O I would ride along the north side of Lake Ontario just south of the 401. If you have more time you could head north of Toronto up around Orillia then turn east and take backroads all the way to Montreal. I know many of these roads and can help you more if you decide to take this route. Personally I would do this and go up through the Renfrew area, cross the Ottawa river and ride up and around Mt. Tremblant through the laurentian mountains and come into Montreal from the north. This might take an extra day, so it depends on your time frame.

Like I said, I know all these roads quite well and would be happy to help.
  5. R-1150-RS

R-1150-RS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is a good site for 'Great Ontario Bikeroads': - http://www3.sympatico.ca/elhum/

I agree that the 401 is good for covering distance, but almost any of the roads north of it are more interesting, at least those east of Toronto. And the farther north the better they get.Those west of Toronto will land you into mostly farmland, with the exception of the area where they cross the Niagara Escarpment. It will take more time, but if the purpose of the trip is to enjoy it, these roads are how to.

Gary
    :) :)