Traveling in the US solo motorcycle securing and theft prevention advice needed

Discussion in 'Americas' started by The Raven, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Witness

Witness Me

Oddometer:
    I woke up one morning on the road, and found that someone had placed a second Buell in my trailer.:D

Since then I bought a covered trailer to prevent this from happening in the future:rofl
  2. mick

mick speedtrippy

Oddometer:
    I don't own a GPS, often I use the free maps at state visitor centers. I'm good at memorization so I can glance at a map and know what I want to do. I have yet for anyone to bother anything I own. I don't know if it's because I'm lucky or savvy. It just hasn't been a problem.
    I have steadily gone the route of simpler and slower travel. I take less clothes and only two non motorcycle related things ( two cameras, one film one digital).
  3. The Raven

The Raven Banned

Oddometer:
    OK, over halfway across,

1. Rest Areas, leave nothing visable, drape a jacket over the "dash"
    2. Hotels, the more high end the better not 5 star but 2-3 star 50-75 night, less chance of bad element staying there and stealing your stuff like the 25 night flea bag motels. They usually have a secure place with lights too...I'm in a quality inn right now, my bike is parked in front of the hotel, and they gave me a room that I could keep an eye on it from my window.
    3. locking covers.

I had some retired looking cop giving me the EYE in Kansas City because I forgot my key in my room and I was messing with my own bike, That was pretty good. :lol3