Traveling Mexico 2014

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by dwj - Donnie, May 22, 2014.

1. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:

So now they have chocolate trees in Mexico ?? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Make sure to stop here in Antigua on your way down south :freaky
  2. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto
    We will in a few weeks. :deal We just had some friends visit for a few days that are on the way to Tierra De Fuego. We will probably travel with them some in a few weeks. :D

No improvement since a couple of months ago when I reported that she saw the color of Madison's hair for the first time. :cry

Yes, I don't know how much, but they have some. We will try to stop by. :deal
  3. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well -in all fairness they have been under an economic embargo imposed by the most powerful economic force in the world. Even with the embargo - most have more than they had prior to Castro.
  4. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

I have never been to Cuba and have no plans to visit. I have followed several non-US citizens' Cuban Ride Reports here on ADV and they all paint a pretty dismal picture. And of course, there is all of those folks that have died trying to get away from Cuba. But, like I said, it was just one opinion from a redneck!

If you are looking for someone to argue with, go someplace else! :deal
  5. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    The last sentence is interesting. What is your source for this assertion ? Have you traveled to Cuba ?
  6. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    Saying Cubans are better off than under the tyrant Bautista is hardly a ringing endorsement of Marxism. :rofl

Let's hope they're facing a better future than widespread poverty.
  7. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
  8. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

I have been traveling MX200 north to visit the states at least four times per year and I go south to Tapachula, which passes through Huitxla, many times per year. They check for my importation papers 95% of the time I pass through. They also check for sales receipts if you are carrying goods. A lot of folks down here cross into Guatemala, where things can be brought cheaper and smuggle them into Mexico tax free. I have only heard of one instance that a person lost their stuff because they did not have receipts for their purchases and they were riding a bus. I had some table/chairs made in Huitxla and had to have a receipt to pass through the check point. I have seen many people being stopped and I have seen receipts checked many times. These vehicles are never there more than a couple minutes. I know this because it takes longer to take my helmet off, help them find the SN on my moto, wait for them to look at my papers, check a bag or two and put my helmet back on. However the buses go through a different area. When on a bus at a check point, you must get off with your bags, including things stored under the bus. Pass through the check point and then get back on the bus. The bus company avoids any issues at these check points.

The men and women at these check points are very courteous, but they are firm in their request. While there are a few Military folks stationed there, they are positioned down range of the checking stations. I assume in case someone tries to break through. The checks are done by Customs folks. BTW, I do know that goods are smuggled through this area every week from Guatemala, and nothing is paid. They are used US clothing bought in Guatemala for resale in Mexico. I have substantial doubts as to this being a big problem at this location.

The check point in the Tonala is manned 100% by the Military. They also do thorough checks and have been ever since I have traveled that road. They also check if you are headed south. There is no south bound check point at Huitxla. I have had my papers and bags checked many times at Tonala and I have seen vehicles being checked many times. Checks at this station are generally more through than Huitxla.

Maybe the lady was done wrong, of course if she had receipts for her purchases, which everybody know you should have, I don't think she would have had a problem. The fact that she has been traveling south for 15 years and cannot produce a receipt sounds a bit fishy. Why would someone travel approximately 300 miles round trip to buy clothes for resale? Sound to me like someone has been avoiding an importation tax for years and finally got caught and is pissed off about it. BUT THAT IS JUST MY OPINION.

I sort of question the ethics of the Organization that printed this, because they should be well aware of the rules concerning this, they should also be aware of the smuggling that takes place from Guatemala to Mexico.
  9. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply Donnie!