1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Traveling the USA During the “Pandemic”

Discussion in 'Americas' started by apexal, Mar 17, 2020.

1. apexal

apexal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hate to post this as it might be premature, but I can’t be the only person wondering how the coronavirus might affect motorcycle traveling this spring.

I bought a real nice 2011 BMW R1200RT in January to join my F850GS in the garage and I’m still hoping to do some traveling as soon decent weather hits the Northeast USA. Yesterday was my last day of work and now that I’m fully retired, I have the time as well as the bikes to travel.

Right now I believe that all restaurants are closed in NH, Massachusetts and NY but I was planning on heading south to warmer climates but I’m not sure about restrictions beyond NY. Like how about hotels, motels and campgrounds? Regardless of imposed restrictions I’m 73 years old, have a compromised immune system and at a higher risk so I’m trying to be careful and minimize risks.

I was hoping to ride the RT down to Texas to visit my son in April but that’s probably not going to happen. I’ve been pretty much staying in lately, avoiding people and just going for day rides but today it’s snowing here in NH. However, I also love to hike so I can still do my social distancing in the wood and mountains on the non-riding days.

I guess that I’m writing this to see how other motorcyclists are dealing with riding and the “pandemic” (I hate that word, it seems extreme). Many people on here seem to be pretty clever and resourceful and I’m sure that people will find a way to safely enjoy what they love to do.
  2. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Im about to leave for a 10 day trip across the states myself.. perfect time for it... everyone's staying in.. fuel prices are low.. less traffic.. parks and camp sites empty.

It's "I am Legend" scenario for us adv riders.. minus lack of toilet paper... ride on crazies!!

Consider it your 15 day self-quarantine... "in the wild"

Most states are moving to close bars and eating in.. but shouldnt have any issues with getting fuel, buying groceries... if you can't find a motel..camp out..

Carry some dry food, a bit of extra water and fuel if it makes u feel better..

I.e.. just another day at the office of 2 wheels..
    texas123, harun, Mayfallover and 7 others like this.
  3. 10/10ths

10/10ths Road Trip Fool Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just go.

I live in Louisiana and travel all along the Gulf Coast from Texas to Florida for work.

Life is actually pretty normal here.

In the big cities, in Louisiana, they are only serving food “to go” in restaurants.

In the smaller towns, “Bubba and Boudreaux” are remaining calm and carrying on.

Texas is open for business.

The closer you get to “Flyover Country” the more normal things become.

As long as you are traveling solo, washing your hands a lot, and letting the UV sunshine keep you “clean”, you should be fine.

I’m not a doctor, but I play one on forums.

Enjoy the ride!
    harun, Mayfallover, taylor and 5 others like this.
  4. 10/10ths

10/10ths Road Trip Fool Supporter

Oddometer:
    And, +1 to the post above mine.

Cheap fuel + Less traffic + Empty hotels = An epic trip!!!
    radmann10, AwDang, wilfred and 2 others like this.
  5. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am in Arizona now on my bike and it seems all hotels and resturants are open as normal. I crossed from Mexico into the US 4 days ago and there were no health questions at the border.
  6. tellicotom

tellicotom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Things are slowing down here in Tennessee. A lot of restaurants are closing or have limiting or no seating (carryout only). Most of our cases are in the Nashville Area, near to the airport...hmmm??
    Mayfallover and apexal like this.
  7. wellcraft

wellcraft Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would proceed with caution, might be a good idea to delay your trip for a few weeks or so until the situation becomes a but more stable. From what the feds are warning the next 2-3 weeks are critical in halting the spread of the virus and may make the difference between the US becoming another Italy where the virus has spread rapidly or South Korea which has done a good job at containing the virus. San Francisco is supposed to be shutting down for 3 weeks, NJ has imposed a curfew and many states are closing sit down restaurants and forcing non essential businesses to close so while you may be able to travel freely today tomorrow you may be stuck somewhere unable to get home or your destination.
    Dan Diego and apexal like this.
  8. apexal

apexal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've just read some great pros and cons for traveling now but how about hotels and what is campground availability like? A hotel room is probably safe as long as it was properly cleaned/decontaminated. But that is a very big "probably". And where can I expect to find campgrounds that are open? There's certainly none that will be open in the northeast before May at the earliest. I'm I talking about public campgrounds, not private Yogi Bear RV type campgrounds. I do have minimum standards! Usually the farthest that I can make it from home on the first day is northern Pennsylvania. I suppose that I can start researching State/National Park type campgrounds from that point onwards.

The food and gas availability does not bother me. I usually carry food and a stove so I can easily go a day without speaking to a soul. But wellcraft brings up a good point. And look what is happening on the Canadian border.
    Mayfallover likes this.
  9. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Bring your sleeping bag and sleeping pad.. if you are that nervous about the hotel cleanliness.. sleep in your bag on the bed.

As for open camping grounds..think outside the box my friend.. camp in the wild .. natioanl forests, BLM land.. BDRs...

hell just camp at the closed camgrounds and beg for forgiveness in the morn... chances are.. if they are closed.. no one will be around to bother you anyways... with your small footprint... folks normally dont hassle..

I guess it boils down to how much free styling and less city slicking you willing to give up...

One can always find reasons not to go... focus on the reason why you should..lol.
    Jettn Jim, taylor and Dan Diego like this.
  10. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My gut says stay home for now especially if your in the higher risk group. For me personally, I really enjoy interacting with people while on my travels. I would not like to feel like everyone I talk to could possibly infect me or have them view me as a carrier risk. I love my motorcycle travels too much to potentially want to taint them due to the recent circumstances. YMMV
  11. apexal

apexal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm, Just checked Pennsylvania:
    "Statewide Facilities COVID-19 Closure: Pennsylvania State Parks Facilities will be closed for 14 days effective Tuesday, March 17 to help slow the spread of the COVID-19 virus."
    Not a big surprise.

I just checked the Blue Ridge Parkway. No sites until May 15th. Another non-surprise.
    Mayfallover likes this.
  12. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It seems like the governments strategy against the virus is to limit human movement and interaction...now I have nothing to do but stay at home and talk to my family. I wonder at the end of this “quarantine “ how many divorces and pregnancies it will spawn???
    Eatmore Mudd, Dan Diego, flei and 2 others like this.
  13. b4thenite

b4thenite Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd stay put at least couple of weeks.
    It's for the bigger good.
    MI GS Rider, mikegc, LuvPop and 10 others like this.
  14. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    I'm in southern AZ right now for a couple of months, having trailered my DL650 (for 2 up with my wife) and my DR650 (for some backroad exploration.)

Things are OK but not normal here. Grocery stores and pharmacies are being overwhelmed, bank ATM in the bank lobby out of cash, restaurants closing their seating areas (McDonalds) and many businesses closing their offices.

We have rented a very small rural house, with a limited kitchen. We're both okay, but can see the problems of not being home looming if one of us gets sick. Where do you go for medical care and advice? If you do get sick, is your option lying feverish for days in your tent?Many services may not be open, gas stations are fine now but next week?

Ordinarily, traveling puts you at risk for many things, but the infrastructure around you remains stable if something goes wrong. Worst case, you abandon your moto and get a flight back home. In this case, it is the infrastructure that is at risk from the spread of this disease.

I would recommend putting off travel plans on this one- and in the past I have only said that about traveling in active war zones.

Your call.

............shu
  15. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fact i's cities are issuing shelter in place orders that make cross country travel illegal ... going to a local park becomes illegal.

If these orders spread , and they likely will ... you could get stuck somewhere you don't want to be.

Scott
  16. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    Maybe it's my military background, but for me it's always been country (or squad, platoon, Corps) before self. I was all set to depart in mid-April for a three month long 14k mile retirement celebration. While I'm in my 60s I'm in decent shape and am confident that if I do come down with a case it would be relatively mild. But it's also very possible I could be exposed and become an assymptomatic carrier, spreading it to those more prone to complications. And while I'm depressed at having to table what was shaping up to be a fantastic adventure, I just can't risk doing that to others.
    ssevy, MI GS Rider, ggrider and 32 others like this.
  17. Hoppalong

Hoppalong Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In the San Francisco Bay Area the local police and county sherrifs were instructed to shoot-to-kill anyone caught outside. Then to douse the body with gasoline and light it on fire.

More recently citizens have been asked to report anyone that has the virus (even if they are inside) so law enforcement officers can go to their home, break in, shoot them, and then light the body on fire: In order to help stop the spread.

And now, this morning, citizens are instructed to report anyone likely to catch the virus, so that they might be shot and burned BEFORE they catch it. You know, people like your boss or your landlord, and of course, your mother-in-law.
  18. apexal

apexal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's great to get feedback from different people in different parts of the US. It's mostly saying stay at home and don't go. shu brings up a good point about sick and alone in a tent. I mean I could contract the virus just before I leave and end up sick and stuck 1,000 miles from home. There is plenty of rural riding in Maine, NH, VT that I can do in a day ride. It's beautiful country, especially in early season when the roads are clean and the mountains are covered in snow.
    Hank122, Dan Diego, Krons and 2 others like this.
  19. apexal

apexal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well said. I don't want to spread it any more than catch it. That's why I'm pretty much staying in the house, avoiding people, going for walks & hikes, and riding my motorcycles closer to home. Actually I was going to retire on the last day of March but the workplace was doing NOTHING about the virus other than the "wash you hand" rhetoric. The workplace is in a big, open office space with over 100 people in it. Not good. So I cleaned out my desk and left.
    mikegc, Mayfallover, Krons and 4 others like this.
  20. JimmysXR

JimmysXR n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm just gonna quote this massive stupidity for posterity.