Traveling to Milan in mid-November...worth riding?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by kknuth, Oct 18, 2019.

1. kknuth

kknuth Out east!

Oddometer:
    Question for any locals in the Milan area...I am traveling to Milan in mid-November. I am wondering if it is too cold typically to ride? Websites say it shouldn't get above 50. If I rent a bike and ride south towards the ocean, Genoa, it says it can get up to 60. Still not real warm. I have a heated vest, warm gloves, and could possibly rent a bike with heated grips and windshield.
    I think going north towards the Alps would be unadvised, no?
    Maybe it is just a pipe dream and I should stick to touring around the city in a scooter?? :ricky

Gratzie!
  2. Don T

Don T Bike Addict

Oddometer:
    I've been to Milan several times in November (for EICMA), and generally the weather have been fine with blue skies and temperatures around 70 in the afternoon.
    You should be fine - especially if you head for the coast where it's typically warmer. Most likely the Alps is a no-go on two wheels that time of year.
  3. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been round the Lakes - so at least you will see the Alps in late November, early December. I'm from north Europe so it seemed mild to me. Good enough to walk around in a polo shirt, and the cafes, bars and restaurants that have sunshine terraces are still open. OK to have a drink or eat outside with a jacket. Decent sized bodies of water moderate the temperatures.

We were based south of Vicenza. The temperatures varied quite a bit - well it is weather after all. Sometimes cold, some times mild.
    Get Ventusky on your phone and you will be able to have a better idea than we did, hour by hour, day by day.

Coming home over the old Bennero pass it stated to snow right at the summit. Not happy biking weather. Turned wet as we descended. Any high ground was snowed in, fortunately the roads we used were ploughed. Wet didn't stop until Wurzburg.
    The Alps would be out, snow likely and pretty cold. Many passes closed or they will be busy with trucks. I don't know if you would legally have to have snow tyres in Italy, but you would in Austria, and they would be pretty much essential.

The roads from Milan to Genoa are dull & boring. Even most of the non motorways - the high tolls push lots of vehicles, especially trucks, on to them. And many of the towns are not interesting at all.

I have only been to Genoa in the summer, it was cool and cloudy each time. Does not bode well for a winter visit. It seems to miss out on the warmer microclimate just round the corner in Monaco to St Tropez.
    Unless you have a particular reason to go, I would find somewhere else - like the Lakes, Garda and Como have decent roads round with places to stop and take in the scenery and people.
    NSFW likes this.
  4. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Out the front of Malpensa Airport, Milano, (looking north-west) early September.
    Not for me in mid-November!!
    Fully fledged ski-resorts are tightly clustered all along the Piemonte + Ligurian foothills....for a reason.
    Right down into the Mediterranean Alps (Tende/ Sospel etc)

Which leaves the fairly in-appealing Northern Italian Plains.
    I think I'd stick with a local scoot for some fun around that time of year...or find somewhere else far further south.
    Then again, the "fake" Global Warming might bear some surprises, eh?

[​IMG]
    dooby, NSFW and nickguzzi like this.
  5. kknuth

kknuth Out east!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the advice. I would be very happy with a day trip to Lake Como and maybe around it. I'll plan on doing that and report back.
    If anyone wants to share a route for that kind of trip or stops that are a "can't miss" please post back!
  6. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There's a Chinese restaurant in Colico (near the top of Lago di Como) - Ristorante da Lin - that does a killer pizza. The western shore of Como can be trafficky, the east side somewhat less so. But the GPS will route you on more "efficient" roads on the eastern side - get off those and follow the secondary roads that hug the lake and go through the smaller towns. Moto Guzzi has a museum at their factory in Mandello del Lario that has odd opening hours. I've bby by a couple of times, but never when they were open.

There are also ferries that go between Varenna, Menaggio and Bellagio - so you could work in a cruise to boot. For something like this, I think that I'd look for a 250cc (+/-) scooter, as you'll never get a chance to build up any speed - you're looking at 50KPH limits for the most part.
  7. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Michael is one the ball again with his suggestions for a scooter - far more of those around generally (and for rent) than anything else.

Out of season, the traffic is fine apart from Como itself and Lecco. Again, Michael has it right suggesting the shoreline road. The whole lake can be circumnavigated in an morning/afternoon.

http://www.motoguzzi.com/en_EN/passion/Museum/

Museum and Book Shop opening time: Free admission - guided tour
    Monday to Friday 3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.. I get the impression someone from the office get delegated museum duties.
    In the month of July: Open from 2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m..

Mandello itself is not really a tourist destination, a working but attractive town in a beautiful spot. I enjoy walking around.
    There is a nice memorial to Carlo Guzzi in the middle of the town.

The Museum will be closed:
    - from 21 April to 22 April
    - 25 April
    - May 1
    - 2 June
    - from 3 August to 25 August
    - 1 November
    - December 8th
    - from December 22nd to January 7th

I have been a few times, and the whole factory tour with eating in the works canteen (not normally available).
    While it is certainly not the Guggenheim or Pompidieu Centre, it has so much of their history - probably a far more diverse history than most know or imagine.
    Really worth supporting - if people don't cross the threshold, why will they keep it open?
    dooby likes this.
  8. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    I did not know that. Thank you. Now, I have to go back.

Preferably between 14:30 & 16:30 on a weekday in July.

My usual view of the museum:

[​IMG]
    dooby and nickguzzi like this.
  9. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    With the little pastry shop just a few metres up - opposite side, on the corner. Nice coffee and those little snack pastries or savouries that the Italians do so well. And small enough so you can eat a few without feeling guilty.
    upload_2019-10-21_16-57-20.png
  10. Rocky Mountain Motos

Rocky Mountain Motos On a long leash Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll be there in a week to ride. Weather is not looking so great.... be sure to keep an eye on the forecast.
  11. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's no route just load Google maps and pick road around the lake; I liked eastern side more than western. It will be very crowded on weekends if weather is good, more so on western shore.
    MichaelJ likes this.
  12. dooby

dooby aka Frgich

Oddometer:
    I just cant stop with a few of them, they're so good :dukegirl
    MichaelJ and nickguzzi like this.
  13. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, me too!
  14. dooby

dooby aka Frgich

Oddometer:
    And I am lucky that I can throw all that stuff in my body and it just burns away. Just got back from Switzerland and Italy 2 days ago on a bike and treated myself with some of the goodness.

I do crave for French patisseries all the time, as I can just eat all what they offer :lol3

BR
    Dooby
  15. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Pastel de nata
  16. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    At the airport in Lisbon on my way home. Yours look better.

But I have fond memories from when I was stationed in northern Italy in the early '70s of hitting a Pasticceria on the piazza in Aviano and sitting down with a cup of coffee. They'd bring out a tray with an assortment of pastries. We were charged for what we ate. Memories. (burp)

[​IMG]
    nickguzzi likes this.