1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Travelling Computer Guy

Discussion in 'Americas' started by ADVme, Feb 1, 2008.

1. ADVme

ADVme n00b

Oddometer:
    So I've had this trip idea for a little while but I haven't put much thought into it yet because everytime I start to seriously consider it I think of some reason why it might not work. I tend to do that with a lot of my ideas though so I figured maybe the best thing to do would be to just put it out there and see what kind of interest there might be. Basically I'm a poor college student who wants to take a long ride around the U.S. that I don't really have the money for. Sure I could work really hard and save up enough money to do a small trip but my time would still be pretty limited. If this idea were to become popular enough my travel time might be greatly increased though.

The idea: I've been working as a computer support technician for about 4 years now and I also do a fair amount of work for friends and family that mostly involves virus and spyware removal. Anyway I got to thinking maybe it would be possible to fund my trip by travelling from city to city and performing this type of work along the way. So how many of you ADVer's computers could use a tuning up? What I generally do is disable any unnessecary background processes, run a virus and spyware scan, clean up various other junk and make sure your computer has the latest updates. If a computer has been neglected this can have a dramatic effect and make your computer run like new again. It usually takes an hour or two depending on how slow your computer is running to start with and I charge considerably less than Geek Squad or any other computer shop would charge you. I'm not looking to make a profit here, just make enough money to allow me to ride. I can also do pretty much any other type of computer, network, or electronic work you might have.

I apologize if this is out of place or inappropriate but like I said it's just an idea I've had and wanted to get out there. I realize this could cut into my riding time a lot but I would still get to see a lot of the country that I've never seen before and it'd be a lot more enjoyable than just doing the same job around here. I also think it would be a neat way to meet some of you guys and provide a service along the way. I wouldn't have any problem staying in a particular place for more than one night if there was more work to be done or for that matter travelling more than a day between jobs if they were really spaced out. Please post up if you think this is a great idea or with potential problems that you forsee.
  2. FrankS

FrankS ...please wait...

Oddometer:
    Great idea, I hope it works out for you. While I don’t really require your service, I sure buy you a coffee if you should ride through Austin….
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    Regards
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Frank
  3. brianjonesphoto

brianjonesphoto Hacked off

Oddometer:
    Geat Idea. I wish I would have thought of that a few years ago. I've got too much junk that owns me now to do it.
  4. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    It's what I've been doing for the last 11 years just without the long distances :D

I get paid to ride a motorbike and play with computers.
  5. ADVme

ADVme n00b

Oddometer:
    Hmm...looks like I might need a little bigger audience before this really becomes possible. Anyone got any ideas how I can make this happen or am I just dreaming?
  6. KinkyWinks

KinkyWinks El Gringo Perdido

Oddometer:
    I think you would need a website with your location and the basic route you wish to take. Some dates along the route as to when you plan to be there. I could use you in my business for a couple of days if I knew ahead of time when you were passing through. If you also specialized in GPS instalation and some instruction for computers and GPS that would help. I do beleive that if you are just going to do Virus and Spyware stuff you wont make enough money to travel very far. You will need all the services that you can provide to make a go of it, even if you have to clean garages and mow lawns.
  7. Teeds

Teeds Don Quixote

Oddometer:
    It would be great to have someone tear into my computer and check out the background.

I swear that there is a window open somewhere. I can feel the breeze.

As much as I am on the road though, it might be easier to meet you in BSC.
  8. KSKLR

KSKLR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The problem with what you want to do is the timeliness of your services. My computer crashed last week and being a CPA with some year end tax deadlines I was in a rush to get it fixed. There is no way that I could have waited for someone to get into town to fix it.

Some years ago a friend of mine and his wife sold everything and bought a school bus and lived in it for 6 months while travelling the West Coast looking for where they wanted to live. They picked crops to earn some extra money. You could do something like that but I don't think that the computer thing would work. You might consider being a day labor but where do you stay while doing that? It is going to cost you money to stay somewhere while earning minimum wage. The best thing to do is knock yourself out at home while being cheap and then take the trip and be cheap on the trip while enjoying it without the work interruptions. You can most probably earn more money at home away.

Regardless, good luck with your future.

Chester
  9. ADVme

ADVme n00b

Oddometer:
    I think you're right. In order to do what I was thinking I'd have to have a list of people before I left who were willing to wait for me to get there. That's probably not going to happen. Thanks for the help guys!