Travelling Stock Reserves NSW and QLD.

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Mungo, May 15, 2015.

1. Mungo

Mungo Monarch 53

Oddometer:
    In the near future I will be heading north from Vic into NSW and Queensland. I intend to mostly "stealth" or "free" camp. (These buzz words give me the sh*ts.) Anyway......the plan is to camp in the "Long Paddock". More specifically, in the Travelling Stock Reserves on the stock routes. I've thrashed Google mercilessly, but can't find a map of Reserve Locations. Can anyone point me in the right direction. Also, any hints and tips on locating and using these reserves would be appreciated. :thumb
  2. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff Supporter

Oddometer:
    Camp in the truck parking bays along with the grey nomads. The truckies won't mind, they're all off their faces on speed or ice and won't be stopping anyway.

3. hoorang

hoorang .

Oddometer:
    Try the bottom of this link should get you in the right direction.

You can generally pick when you are on a stock route as the fences are about 25m off the road edge to give room for stock.

As far as using them goes don't burn the place down and leave gates as you found them.

On the gates there is usually a tag naming the particular reserve, but don't bank on these being present.

Regards
  4. Phil_Fong

Phil_Fong Over Regulated Supporter

Oddometer:

Don't be doing this because there is yukky truckies poo and piss everywhere on these sites. Livestock trucks also rest up here and if its rained while they are there ....... its one stinkin shit hole.

Hema maps shows the stock routes :deal
  5. hunter_greyghost

hunter_greyghost XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    If you can get your hands on this little puppy, you'll be set for NSW, if you want I'll find out if there's one at the local PP Board at Yass, :clap
    about $60 from memory, but its got every stock route in NSW in it!, as well as water points and camp areas :wink:
    Cheers
    Baza
  6. Mungo

Mungo Monarch 53

Oddometer:
    Thanks Baza. I just found out about this book 5 minutes ago. I will try and chase up a copy myself on monday. If I don't have any luck I'll let you know.
  7. hunter_greyghost

hunter_greyghost XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer:
    Not a problem old son, if in doubt - it's no worry for me to order one for you up here, I'll call in on Monday & find out the availability etc. :deal
    Cheers
    Baza
  8. southern cross

southern cross WARDY

Oddometer:
    I understand there is some good news regarding the TSR's. Some years ago there were a number of these reserves that were fenced off and I'm told sold to the adjoining farm, probably at a peppercorn price.
    Later years it was realised that these reserves were lightly touched patches of native scrub or grass areas and were valuable remnants to be preserved as the adjoining areas were essentially destroyed by cropping or grazing.
    I had two TRS'r that I used use, get fenced off. On these two areas I never saw them stocked but was disappointed 'my' playgrounds were taken off from me. I know many still remain in the Central West of NSW as I sometimes camped on them or used them as rest stops when travelling and always found them clean except for the usual pile of burnt food cans.
    They are great places to stay and I can thoroughly recommend them in preference to C.V. parks or motels. They are usually rather quiet being on ,great secondary roads with lower traffic levels just perfect for bikes. I really hope to camp at least one more time before I have to finally give it all away.
  9. toecutta

toecutta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    this is a great thread... i know very little about their use.. the web has a shitload of the same copy / pasted crap that tells me not much

i hit a few online stores and that book seems to be out of print?

where can i find out more about TSR's? their locations and use and also their history?

thanks all

jason
  10. jtb

jtb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good O! Here was I just thinking it was me :D!

I found you a map of NSW TSR's from 1888... but that might not help you too much :deal
  11. JohnG.

JohnG. Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. buckscreek

buckscreek AUTODIDACTIC

Oddometer:
    Calling Lentil to the phone.......GIS / GPS data for TSRs?
    As Baz said, "the long paddock" book is a great resource.
  13. hard rd

hard rd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As well as the long paddock book for NSW, Qld has a folding map version for their TSR.
    Not as much info. but shows all the Stock routs.
    Available at book stores etc. Or at what ever name the TSR have called themselves this week.
    Cheers .
  14. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    Caution:
    Legally you are required to get permission to camp on a TSR in NSW ... at least 48 hours before .. and stock has preference.

http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/75573/Are_the_permits_lawfully_required.aspx

You may need some insurance to cover liability ..

The book "the long paddock' can be seen in the State Library (Sydney CBD) .. you'll need a readers card...

---------------
    Chances of being caught by someone who cares and will do something about it ? Small.

Best way not to get caught? Keep your camp tidy, small and discrete. Don't stay more than one night.
  15. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    :jack

You're a cunny funt...:poser
  16. jtb

jtb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can you show me where that is stated? Travelling stock require permits, but be buggered if I can find any reference to "recreational users" requiring them.

FROM NSW Local Land Services website : FOUND HERE

Using TSRs

The key requirements for moving stock on a Travelling Stock Reserve (TSR) or along a public road are summarised below. For a full list of the requirements you should contact Local Land Services:

You must obtain a permit
    Stock must be deemed free of disease before entering a TSR or public road.
    Walking stock are to travel only the route specified on the permit.
    Stock may only be walked over TSRs between sunrise and sunset.
    Stock must be yarded at night in a secure holding paddock or approved freestanding break.
    Grazing or walking stock must be adequately controlled at all times.
    There are restrictions on the use of TSRs including camping, use of water, timber, fences and equipment.
    You must apply for a stock permit at least 2 working days in advance and must notify the biosecurity officer at the relevant Local Land Services region of any variation in the journey.
    Approved stock warning signs (see below) must be displayed when stock are walking or grazing near or on a roadway.
    The mob size allowed on a TSR will depend on factors such as seasonal conditions, water availability and other conditions.

Using stock warning signs
    Approved black and yellow stock warning signs, available from your Local Land Services office, must be displayed when stock are walking or grazing near or on a road. Signs must be:

displayed when stock are being walked or grazed along or within 300 metres of a public road except where a stock proof fence separates the stock from the road.
    positioned so that a motorist is warned of the presence or likely presence of stock a reasonable distance before the vehicle would first encounter the stock.
    clearly visible to motorists who approach stock in either direction.
    positioned so that there is not more than 5 kilometres and not less than 200 metres between the sign and a place where a vehicle being driven towards the stock would first encounter them.
    Requirements may vary between districts, you should on contact us on 1300 795 299 before you plan to move stock or for information on the requirements for using stock warning signs.
  17. JohnG.

JohnG. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Search free camping areas... quite often theyre on out of the way stock route areas
  18. jtb

jtb Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I looked into this a little more deeply. My research reveals that legislation doesn't say you CAN use a TSR to camp on. HOWEVER it doesn't say you can't.

I'd be going with the minimal impact, discreet campsite and you shouldn't have any problems.

My legislation finds below:

Local Land Services Act 2013 No 51
    Current version for 19 December 2014 to date (accessed 17 May 2015 at 18:19)
    Part 6 Division 5 Section 74
    << page >>

74 Authorised use of travelling stock reserves for recreational activities

(1) A person is authorised to use a travelling stock reserve (whether controlled or managed) or part of any such reserve on any day between sunrise and sunset for any recreational activity prescribed by the regulations, subject to this Act and any conditions prescribed by the regulations.

(2) The Crown is to indemnify Local Land Services in respect of:
    (a) the death of or injury to any person, or
    (b) damage to, or the destruction of, property other than that of Local Land Services,
    arising out of the use of a travelling stock reserve for the purpose of a recreational activity in accordance with this section.

(3) Subsection (2) does not apply to the death of or personal injury to the following persons if the death or injury arises in connection with the exercise by Local Land Services of its functions:
    (a) a member of the Board,
    (b) a member of a local board,
    (c) a member of staff of Local Land Services.

Local Land Services Regulation 2014
    Current version for 1 January 2015 to date (accessed 17 May 2015 at 18:21)
    Part 5 Division 3 Clause 62
    << page >>

62 Authorised use of travelling stock reserves for recreational activities

(1) For the purposes of section 74 of the Act, the following are prescribed as recreational activities for which a person is authorised (subject to the Act and subclause (2)) to use a travelling stock reserve (or part of a travelling stock reserve) other than an excluded reserve:
    (a) walking, running and other kinds of individual physical exercise,
    (b) horse riding,
    (c) camel riding,
    (d) picnicking,
    (e) fishing,
    (f) swimming,
    (g) pedal cycling.

(2) Subclause (1) does not apply to use of a travelling stock reserve (or part of a travelling stock reserve) for a purpose referred to in that subclause if Local Land Services has made a closure order in respect of the reserve or part of any such reserve under section 70 (1) (b) of the Act.

(3) In this clause:
    excluded reserve means a travelling stock reserve (or part of a travelling stock reserve) in the Western Division or a stock watering place.

Local Land Services Regulation 2014
    Current version for 1 January 2015 to date (accessed 17 May 2015 at 18:23)
    Part 5 Division 3 Clause 63
    << page >>

63 Offences on travelling stock reserves

(1) A person must not, except in accordance with a permit issued by Local Land Services for a travelling stock reserve:
    (a) waste any water provided on the reserve for stock, or
    (b) divert or in any other way interfere with the natural flow of water on the reserve, or
    (c) swim or bathe in a water tank or dam installed or constructed on the reserve, or
    (d) light a fire in the reserve at any time when the lighting of fires in the reserve is prohibited by Local Land Services by signs displayed on or near the reserve or at any other time except in a fireplace designated by Local Land Services by the display of such a sign.
    Maximum penalty: 10 penalty units.

(2) A person must not, without the authority in writing of Local Land Services or other reasonable excuse, damage or interfere with a structure, appliance or other article that forms part of or is lawfully on a travelling stock reserve.
    Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units.

(3) A person must not, without reasonable excuse, interfere with stock or beehives that are lawfully on a travelling stock reserve.
  19. JohnG.

JohnG. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its a bit like when we lived At Grasstree Beach, near Sarina Qld.
    There's an obscure little sign that says "no camping" but there was
    always at least one 'wicked' van every few days camped under the
    palms on the beach. minimal disturbance, usually gone early next day.
    nice perv too :lol3
  20. buckscreek

buckscreek AUTODIDACTIC

Oddometer:
    So if you have a reasonable excuse you can interfere with stock.....