1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Travelling to Canada

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by The Onion, Jun 4, 2003.

1. The Onion

The Onion Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am planning a trip to Canada during the week of June 16th. Anything out of the ordinary that I am going to need to travel in the great white north for a couple of days? :huh I've got my birth certificate available. What about insurance cards? Border crossings? :ear
  2. dragoon

dragoon I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer:
    I went to the BMWMOA National in Trenton, Ontario last year. The require that you have birth certificate or passport, Canada Card (yellow insurance card) ask your insurance carrier, they will know what you mean. The border patrol didn't ask for any of it but you should have it in case.
  3. The Onion

Oddometer:
    Thanks dragoon. Helpful info indeed. :evil
  4. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure you want to leave radar detector, weapons, and ammo on the US side of the border.

I like to use a surplus 50cal ammo box, and bury it in a secure area before hitting the border.
  5. The Onion

Oddometer:
    Roger that.

Just heading up to Banff for a couple of days. Shouldn't need my .50 cal. :2guns

Errrr, will I need to do some monetary exchange in order to get food, gas, etc. :dunno
  6. BeeCeeGS

BeeCeeGS WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer:
    If you're going to Banff--radar detectors are OK in BC and Alberta (I think Saskatchewan and Manitoba too). Definitely a no-on in Ontario.

While you're there, take a run up the Icefields Parkway.
  7. dragoon

dragoon I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer:
    And of course Lake Louise, Lake Moraine(fewer tourists), I'm guessing you know where you're going.
  8. configurationspace

configurationspace delooper

Oddometer:
    In most cases you'll need Canadian currency if you want to buy gas with cash. There may be a few places near the border that'll take US currency, but once you're as far north as Banff and Jasper, there's no place that'll take US currency (except the gas station at the corner of 93 and 11 but that's a "big" tourist gas-stop, I've never really understood why -- you tend to spot more americans there than anywhere else in the mountain parks). There's plenty of places to exchange currency in the Banff and Jasper townsites. I'm about to head out to Jasper and Banff (currently I'm in Edmonton) for a few days. I'll be on a black GS.

Of course, your credit cards should work almost everywhere -- I just rode from New York to Edmonton (riding north of the great lakes) and there was only two gas stations along the way that couldn't take a credit card, one near Wawa Ontario and another near Edmonton, Alberta.
  9. KillerPriller

KillerPriller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey, just a side note. If you are going "on the cheep" and dont want to camp. I highly recomend the Youth Hostels up there (except for Jasper). Regardless of age, you can pick up a Youth Hostel card which entitles you to a place to stay for about $10 (this was back in 1997).

Anyway, the hostle at Lake Louise is VERY nice. Its like a huge lodge with all the amenities.

nk
  10. The Onion

Oddometer:
    Anyone in Wash. State have a place for me to pitch my tent on June 16th? Staying over in Wa one night and heading out in the early AM.

Or if you can recommend a good campground, I'm game for that too.

I don't snore, but I'll prolly be shtinkin' by then. :rofl
  11. peskador

peskador big idiot

Oddometer:
    Can anyone clarify whether it's illegal to possess a radar detector or if only it's "use" is prohibited? Specifically in Ontario?
  12. Shazam*

Shazam* Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wasn't sure myself, but apparently not

Or, more specifically here
  13. peskador

peskador big idiot

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your help:thumb

Guess I need to find somewhere to stash my V-1 before crossing the border..... was hoping I could just pack it away and not use or worry about it while in Ontario..... but it's not worth risking confiscation.

Thanks again for the links!