Trax Box/SW Motech Evo rack

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by Ladukebob, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Ladukebob

Ladukebob Spaceark

Oddometer:
    <hr style="color: rgb(87, 87, 87);" size="1"> Anyone have this setup on their Vstrom? I'm thinking about trying this setup but would like to see anyones photos first. Motech claims the newer Evo rack hugs the bike better then their older universal rack. And I would like to get an idea of where the boxes sit and how they look. I'm guessing the TraX Box is good quality since it's coming from SW Motech

Thanks
    <!-- / message --> <!-- sig --> __________________
  2. MrMac

MrMac Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. crpntr

crpntr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The TRAX boxes are the best! I've got the EVO carriers and the 37 liter boxes. Very happy and worth the wait.[​IMG]
  4. crpntr

crpntr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Side view[​IMG]
  5. WeeSatch

WeeSatch Trickle Charging

Oddometer:
    I just installed the new SW-Motech rack on my Wee with the idea of putting on Pelican cases with the Caribou mounts so that I can take off both the cases AND the rack if I choose.

The new rack is indeed narrower. I think I read that it is about 1 1/2" narrower. I like that idea a lot, but the trade-off is that you have to move the turn signals further back so they don't interfere with the cases. I'm finding that this setup limits where you can mount your cases or boxes because the turn signals are not completely out of the way. (You can see this on the pic above--notice that the right box is completely clear of the turn signal while the left one doesn't.)

The old rack and most other racks stick out farther, but the benefit is that they completely avoid the turn signal on that side.

I might have to give up on the Pelican plan an go with the Trax boxes. They look great---but $$$
  6. Ladukebob

Ladukebob Spaceark

Oddometer:
    This is the kind of info I was looking for. The above link to Rapidforum was especially helpful. I find it interesting that those that have that system ether love them or are sorry they bought them and wouldn't advise anyone else to buy them. One guys leaked pretty badly while anothers where find after 2 hours of riding. I geuss for the money it's not a bad deal. What other top loading box is out there in that price range that is better?
  7. Zapp22

Zapp22 ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer:
    is the new rack a quick-release type?
  8. WeeSatch

Oddometer:
    Yes, the new rack is the quick release type. It is made of tubular steel rather than the stamped plate steel of the old style. It seems very solid and well-made. I thought the old style was ugly on the bike without the cases on them. The new rack isn't so bad--but of course since it's the quick release you'll be taking it off the bike when not using the cases most of the time anyway.
  9. GsVs

GsVs Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Hey WeeSatch ....

What is the overall width (before cases) of the new SW-Motech racks on the Wee ??

Thanks - Larry

10. WeeSatch

Oddometer:
    21 inches.

My cases are about 8.5" wide so that makes my total width about 38" which isn't bad.
  11. GsVs

GsVs Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the dimension ...
  12. Voluhzia

Voluhzia iExplorer

Oddometer:
    BTW, crpntr!

Twisted Throttle indicates the with of 37L box 9.1", 45L - 11".
    For the siderack, the left side is closer 1.25" to the centerlline.

OK, with both boxes on, what is the length from outside side of the left box to the centerline and from the outside side of the right box?

I'm thinking of getting the left one of 45L. Just wandering if it's going to be close to even.

Thanks
  13. JadeRider

JadeRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really lie these but I have read reports about them not being waterproof. What has been your experience?

14. ]I)Money

]I)Money D NOT I

Oddometer:
    I don't know about "proof"; I haven't ridden through water deep enough to submerge them...:lol3

I did ride home from St. Louis last week in a serious deluge. They were dry on the inside when I got home. YMMV.
  15. ride no evo

ride no evo Suck it Trebek

Oddometer:
  16. crpntr

crpntr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So the total width with the 37L's on the evo racks is 40". That is 18 1/2" from centerline on the left, 21 1/2 from centerline on the right. As far as being waterproof, they haven't been in the rain but they have seen a lot of water crossings and everything is tip top. My deeper crossings are about 16-20". I can't reccommend them enough and you gotta admit, they look pretty damn cool...BTW haven't checked on this thread because I've been modifying the skid plate:evil
  17. petelatteier

petelatteier Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone got a pic of a 650 with the 45L case on the left side and the 37L one on the right? I don't know if I will need that much space but I would like to see how it looks.