1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Tres por uno Baja paseos (Canyon de Cobre sin cargo adicional)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by ScotsFire, Feb 16, 2020.

1. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    March 20, 2020: Batopilas to Douglas AZ

I actually got up pretty early, though not stupid early. Folks were up and about which made me feel better about firing up the bike. Getting it out of the courtyard was not going to be real subtle.
    [​IMG]
    Interesting riding through the dining room, but when in Mexico...
    (Video 40 seconds, no tunes)

I really like how the auxiliary lights illuminate the hallway. You never know when a dog or child is going to step out in front of you.

The view from the back of the courtyard overlooking the river was nice too.
    [​IMG]
    Note the foot bridge across the river to access those homes.
    [​IMG]

All the previous day's cloud cover was gone. Glorious morning!
    [​IMG]

Definitely going back there some day.
    [​IMG]
    There are some neat roads just waiting.

Even though this was a paved "highway", it was a nice ride.
    [​IMG]
    There was a lot of debris on the roadway from the rainstorms a couple of days prior, so it wasn't a fast ride.

Too much to see in any case.
    [​IMG]

From the bridge, up started.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the riding got better and better.
    [​IMG]

Obviously it didn't take as long to manage the elevation changes as the day before, but it wasn't just a quick jaunt up the hill.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It certainly has some attractions.
    [​IMG]

I forced myself to stop at some of the overlooks. It would have been easy to just keep working the throttle, dodge rocks and washouts, and maintain a shit eating grin on my face.
    [​IMG]
    But it was the best decision.
    [​IMG]

Once out of the Rio Batopilas gorge, it sort of got less mountainous.
    [​IMG]
    It's not like it turned into Kansas by any stretch.
    [​IMG]
    The riding by no means became subpar.
    [​IMG]

Nor the views.
    [​IMG]
    Lots of Tarahumira families along the roadway, on their way to wherever. Busses run these roads and will stop pretty much anywhere to pick up passengers. Yet another road hazard to be aware of.

I stopped in Creel for more premium gas and breakfast. Then started the long ride to the border. I'm not going to say that there isn't anything to see in northern Chihuahua and Sonora, but nothing really caught my eye enough to stop for a pic. The de-escalation apparent in the above pictures in regards to the terrain very much continued to where the route soon enough became long straight desert highways. I still enjoyed riding through, but as much because I had never been that way before more than anything unique or spectacular.

I made better time than expected time north to the crossing in Agua Prieta, though it was still a nine hours in the saddle day. The crossing app said that there was a 130 minute wait, but I had one last thing to do in Mexico.
    (Video twelve seconds)

The two guys running the place were EXTREMELY friendly, and make a pretty damn good taco on a wood grill.
    [​IMG]
    Not a bad meal for five bucks, including a half liter bottle of Fresca.
    They are right on the street next to the border. So you can watch the steel wall and Border Patrol on the far side while you eat.

The crossing was only around a half hour to 45 minutes, helped along by riding to the front of the line. I was looking for the motorcycle lane like there is at Mexicali, but they don't seem to have one. I purposely didn't look for hairy eyeball looks from any folks from Kansas as I sleazed into line. Not that there were many American plated cars in line anyway. It was probably three quarters Sonoran plates, with the rest Arizona. I didn't see any from elsewhere, not counting my own Washington plate. I think most of the wait was due to the CBP initiating a high level of vehicle inspections.

The Motel 6 in Douglas was pretty much what you'd expect from something described as The Motel 6 in Douglas. But the bed was much softer than nearly ALL of those I utilized in Mexico, so it didn't take much effort, after a slew of "I'm back in the United States" notifications anyway, to fall into sleep.
  2. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    March 21 and 22, 2020: Douglas AZ to Tecate CA then N Idaho

There's not a whole lot to report on the drive home from Douglas. In fact it was so uneventful that this is the only picture I took for both days.
    [​IMG]
    Really didn't want to sit in stinky underwear all the way across the United States even if it's the shorter south to north route.

While loading my clean clothes back into the panniers, a man rode up to me in the parking lot on his bmx bicycle, probably an indigenous person. In Spanish, which my vocabulary really wasn't up to but together we figured it out, he asked me to pump up his rear tire. Sure enough it was flat. For a split second I considered saying I couldn't help, but of course I could so I did. It took longer to dig the pump out of the bag on the tail of the bike and put it away than to fill the small tire. When I finished, he thanked me, again in Spanish, and handed me a dream catcher. With the virus on my mind, I almost didn't take the gift, but it he obviously didn't have much, and how could I be so rude? So I took it and he rode off before I even unplugged the pump from the bike. The dream catcher is now hanging above the bedroom door.

The weather was good, and time was made. But I wasn't in such a hurry that I couldn't meet up with another inmate. @Drybones had graciously offered a spot to stay on my way north. The timing wasn't quite right for that, but I asked if we could meet on my way through Tucson. As he noted, In and Out burgers was where we ended up and John offered to buy. "Have anything you want," he says. "As long as it's a cheeseburger?" "Well, you don't have to have cheese..." True statement.
    For the record, we maintained our social distancing, being helped by the restrictions on even using the restaurant's picnic tables. So six feet apart from each other, we ate our burgers and fries on the curb. He is a very nice person, and we not just discussed our travels and motorcycles, but both met Everywhereman @swedstal on the final leg of his trip, on the same day in fact. ADV makes the world a lot smaller. Thanks again John!

The rip across I-8 was uneventful, if numbing to my backside. I got into Tecate CA a little before 6pm, so was able to strip the luggage off the bike and get it loaded into the truck in daylight. I wouldn't say I was surprised, but it's always a relief to find your truck in the shape you left it in after being parked for a few weeks.

Back west a little for another short section of I-8 before turning north on I-15 (and I-215) for the next 1200 plus miles, then west on I-90 near Butte MT. I slept in the truck at the Midway rest stop between Barstow and Baker for a few hours, otherwise droving straight through stopping only for fuel and food to go. Got home to my sweetheart around 9:30 pm Sunday.

The slog home from the border was easier and shorter time wise than I expected. It certainly helps that most of the western states have a speed limit of 80 mph in the rural areas, terrain and road conditions permitting. The transition back to real coffee and flushing the TP was seamless. Though we are rationing each sheet.

I will post a wrap up in the near future.
    td63, jonz, Muscongus and 3 others like this.
  3. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome home! Great trip without a doubt and glad your safe. Cheers!
    eaglescan and ScotsFire like this.
  4. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Stunning pics from your run up to the border @ScotsFire, at least the canyon shots you posted. Bummer the trip had to come to an end the way it did, but so cool that you've set the hook to go back down there and explore when we're not locked down (and it's not an oven down there).

Glad you made it home safe and sound, that's a long arse drive from the border.
    ScotsFire likes this.
  5. td63

td63 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bummed this is over but thanks for taking time to keep us in on it.

As you can see, we saved you some late-March gunmetal-gray so that you can feel even smugger about having skipped out for awhile. :)
    ScotsFire likes this.
  6. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    The snow on the ground a couple mornings ago was not greeted with enthusiasm.

BTW I still have a couple more videos to put together and post. One is processing as I type. Probably up tomorrow with more to follow.
    td63 likes this.
  7. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    VIDEO POST
    February 28, 2020: North from Los Barilles

Feels like hopping into the Wayback Machine. A month ago already.

The ride towards La Ventana, including the descent that changed the trajectory (at least for a while) of the trip. And yes, one more pass. One of my aunts made a remark on Facebook (for the Sierra de la Laguna video) that I was going over SO many passes. Just illustrates that in Baja, and as I also found in Sonora and Chihuahua, the mountains aren't ever too far away, nearly always at least in sight.

(Video 4:11, with music)
    WYO George, jonz, td63 and 2 others like this.
  8. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ahh...Baja. This is exactly what I needed on this wet, grey, and dreary Saturday morning @ScotsFire. Good tunes to use for the vid too man, nothing like some old school Fabulous Thunderbirds.

Looked like fantastic riding once you started the trek inland. In that still pic where you showed the crops - what bay was off in the distance? Never made it that far south in my trip to Baja, but want to get down there and ride some of those sections.

Appreciate you taking the time to put the video together :thumb :thumb
    ScotsFire likes this.
  9. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    That’s the west end of Bahía de La Ventana. Southeast of La Paz. It’s pretty through there, with a lighthouse too. Got out to the beach in ‘17 and took these.
    000A6903-B923-424A-B9D7-3916ED3FAA34.jpeg
    FB84C140-40BC-4F5F-88FB-8283C938BABF.jpeg
    43B0778E-1D5C-4137-8907-AD7DB4BE2583.jpeg

That ride is mostly right along the edge of the Gulf, up on a sheer hill. It isn’t too rough, except a spot or two, till it turns away from the coastline. I kick myself for not running the GoPro during any of the actual coastline as it’s quite scenic.

Looking at some of my pictures since then and appreciate the improvements in skill and equipment from back then nearly as much as the improvement in my riding.
    WYO George, Saso and liv2day like this.