Tri-State Long Weekend in IL-IA-WI

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by SpectreNCSU, Nov 2, 2019.

1. SpectreNCSU

SpectreNCSU Big Ruckus ADV Touring

Oddometer:
    I was able to sneak away from work on Friday October 18th for the last good riding weekend forecasted (temps at about 60F for highs) probably until April. I wanted to hit three states on this ride, so me and the trusty 2005 Honda Big Ruckus headed out at lunch time, taking the backcountry farm roads for a tour of the Mississippi River region and Wisconsin Dairy country. There would be two nightly stops, one in Clinton, IA on Friday and the other in New Glarus, WI home of the famous New Glarus Brewery, on Saturday. Sunday I would hit Beloit, WI on my way back to Chicago.

rt trip.PNG
    Final mileage was 447 on the odometer with detours and side trips.

IMG_0101.jpg
    You would be surprised how little people pull out in front of you when you have an orange helmet. Seriously, it makes a big difference.

IMG_0105.jpg
    A WW2 half track sitting on someone's front lawn in St. Charles, IL

IMG_0108.jpg
    Ronald Reagan's boyhood home in Dixon, IL

IMG_0111.jpg
    My trusty steed, 2005 Honda Big Ruckus PS250

IMG_0113.jpg
    Crossing back over the Mississippi River from Iowa. At Sabula, IA - Savanna, IL

IMG_0118.jpg
    Galena, IL. A very cool historically preserved town. Gorgeous! Seriously, do some searches on this. This was at the end of the Mississippi River Road/Blackjack Rd., one of the best motorcycle routes in the Midwest.

IMG_0124.jpg
    New Glarus Brewery, WI
    IMG_0126.jpg IMG_0130.jpg
    Beloit College. Really lovely town I hit on my way back on Sunday. It was a bit cold on the ride home, but luckily I had good touring gear and layers. All in all a great weekend ride!
  2. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I stopped in Galena on a ride this Spring. I toured Grant’s home. I agree, fine riding roads in and out of that town.
  3. SpectreNCSU

Oddometer:
    I was surprised how nice Galena was, definitely not expecting all that. I'll be sure to stop at Grant's home next time I'm back.
  4. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you are riding in the area, cross the river into Dubuque and ride north onto Iowa C9Y. Bluff tops to valley bottoms with curves galore and scenic views. Trust me. You'll love it. Likely to have a lot of sport bike traffic on weekends but otherwise empty.
  5. SpectreNCSU

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the recommendation. I am still new to the region, so I have a lot of exploring to do. I'll be sure to check out Dubuque.
  6. krautman

krautman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Aces brother ! I dig the big Rukus . Would you like share some info on it ? Top speed fuel economy comfort?
  7. SpectreNCSU

Oddometer:
    Sure thing. Top cruising speed (comfortably) is 65 mph, above that and you really start to become aware of the 12" tires. I average about 60 miles per gallon, sacrificed a little bit of efficiency when I swapped out the rollers and the upjetted the carb (it was boggy and a little lethargic because Honda underjetted it to make EPA regs). To me, this is the perfect backroad touring bike. Lots of storage, capable with keeping up with traffic. An Interstate tourer it is not.

I find the bike to be the most comfortable I've ever owned, everything is laid out nicely, though I wish I could relocate the foot platforms just a little bit ahead because of my height. This has been the most reliable bike I've ever owned, in ten years now I have had no problems other than the regulator going (right when forums said it was supposed to, around 17k miles). If you do get one, certainly swap out the OEM rear shock with a YSS one. I think that is the only place where I was disappointed with their original equipment.
    krautman likes this.
  8. krautman

krautman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you !
  9. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter

Oddometer:
    I rode one of those things years ago........what a hoot.
    Every time I see a 50 I wish they still made the 250
    Carry on.
  10. SpectreNCSU

Oddometer: