1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Trial boots for large calves

Discussion in 'Trials' started by witblitz550, Feb 26, 2019.

1. witblitz550

witblitz550 n00b

Oddometer:
    This might have been asked, but I have not seen calf sizes mentioned with trials boots.

I recently got into trials. Rode my first event on Sunday and enjoyed greatly. Now I need some boots.

I was riding with old enduro boots, Thor Quandrants, but they are falling apart now. My Sidi crossfires 1 are a bit stiff for trials.

I have 20" calves. My current Sidi crossfires 1 are a Euro 48 and fit my foot and calf just right.

Trials boots are not really kept at dealers in stock in RSA. So I will need to organise with a dealership to get a pair for me to fit or I will need to buy online. How are the following boots for trials and big (~20") calves:
    • Sidi Discovery Rain (Are these fine to use for trials or not?)
    • Sidi Trial Zero 1
    • Gaerne G all terrain
    • Gaerne balance Pro
    • Wulfsport
    • Alphinestars tech T
    • Forma boulders
    KKeltner likes this.
  2. Anachronism

Anachronism Lived Too Long

Oddometer:
    I have the Wulfsport in a 48. I have 14" calves. I measured the top with the top buckle done up maximum looseness & it measures 15". If you use the velcro only & junk the top buckle it will fit 20" but you will only have two buckles/straps one below ankle & one just above. I can only recommend the Wulfsport on length (true 48) & width (medium to wide) as my orthotics fit in no problem that were made for my 13 EEE (49) workboots.
    KKeltner likes this.
  3. joe cool

joe cool Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would recommend the Gaerne balance pro boots. I still have a pair from 1999 although they have been resoled.
  4. Greebe

Greebe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the Forma Boulder boots in 10 or 11 and have a 15" calf and they are tightened down almost as far as they will go just to get them tight. There is definitely a lot of room for a bigger leg then mine and I am not skinny per se.
  5. Ditch

Ditch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have the Forma boulders, 16+ inch calves. They barely overlap and knee guards with shin protection are a no go.
  6. Thmp Thmp

Thmp Thmp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Check out the Gaerne G all terrain, I just got a pair and love them. The calf opening is super adjustable, you can move where the clasp mounts and the shin plate, my coworker has large calfs and he got a pair and they fit him no problem. Atomic Moto has them on sale right now. https://www.atomic-moto.com/products/gaerne-g-all-terrain-boots
  7. Solarflares

Solarflares Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don’t know why you’d want to put boots on these large-calves for?

6C8C332D-B8C6-4995-B2F0-11104CF815C4.jpeg The Sidi Vortece is a good contender - for Regular motorcycle use. But the trials Sidi Zero 1’s look to have nothing over the Formas.
    The Gearne All Terrain looks “physically” ideal , but can never be as suited to trials as the Balance.
    $300 a lot of money for something that isn’t ideal for the purpose.
    Note the Balance has a stronger lower-clasp mount - where the boot flexes.
  8. witblitz550

witblitz550 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice everyone.

I will have a look at our next trials event and speak to some of guys there. It might come down to having to import a pair from the USA or UK.

For the coming weekend's event, my Crossfire's will have to do.
    Solarflares likes this.
  9. MADS

MADS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wittes, What did you end up getting? I am also up for new boots with my 21" calves. I have the Gaerne Balance Oiled Boots now but need something with a little more support.
    KKeltner likes this.
  10. fprintf

fprintf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When you say you need more support, in what way? I specifically bought the Forma Boulder boots because they had a stiff sole and it made it less tiresome to be on the pegs for extended periods. But other than that I don't think most trials specific boots are supposed to be that supportive because you need flexibility.
    Sting32 likes this.
  11. KKeltner

KKeltner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gaerne trials boots don’t fit my calves well for being big, and my forma adventure boots are also small for my big calves. I’m debating trying the alpine star tech T next time!
  12. witblitz550

witblitz550 n00b

Oddometer:
    I ended up getting the Sidi Discovery Rain as I found a dealer with stock to fit. We are limited on what we can try fitting.
    They close properly for my legs. I have lost about 20kg since then but my calves are essentially the same size then.
    They were tight the first few times until you stretch them in. I tend to wear rugby socks with the boots which is thin. The pants that stick into the boot has no padding so it is also rather thin.
    The sole is stiff. I do not find the boot rigid for forward, backward and sideways movement. The boot is essentially just leather, not like MX or enduro boots with all the supports.

With 21" calves the front of the boot might not overlap the side when buckling up the boot.
    Norman Foley and jonnyc21 like this.
  13. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I have a pair of well worn Disco Rains. They are my back up trials boots and I think they work great for trials, especially if someone is looking for a slightly stiffer boot with thicker leather.
    Norman Foley likes this.