TrialGP France

Discussion in 'Trials' started by bobbywarner, Sep 4, 2020.

1. bobbywarner

bobbywarner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A new thread for the first round of the 2020 Trial GP schedule this weekend!

The Trial2 class is going to be crazy! There are so many different riders that could be on the podium back from last year (Grattarola, Martyn, Ferrer, etc). Arnau Farré dropping down could be interesting too!

I guess the only real exciting thing about the top class is Marcelli moving up. So, it will be interesting to see how he does!

Looks like Maddie Hoover is riding the event. I wonder how she got around the travel ban from US to Europe?
    Cascao, rokhopr, DyrWolf and 2 others like this.
  2. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    upload_2020-9-4_8-35-51.png
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  4. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    upload_2020-9-4_8-37-23.png
    LowPSI and jonnyc21 like this.
  5. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. Norman Foley

Oddometer:
  7. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. SportSawyer

SportSawyer 4RT Herder

Oddometer:
  9. Norman Foley

Oddometer:
    First loop was ridden, but results were cancelled. Some big blow up about the time limit and top class riders threatened a strike. Fall out is that The E Trial class result got turned on its head, with the cancelling out of first loop scores throwing Cabestany a life line after a bad first loop.
    SportSawyer likes this.
  10. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    :dllama:
  11. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    The first round of the World Championship today at Isola 2000 must have been a great celebration and it was a mess. As a reminder, the World Championship format is now 10 zones and 3 laps. With the laudable aim of boosting the events, a new rule obliges pilots to cover the first 5 zones within a defined time under pain of penalties.
    Ditto for the next 5.

A new rule which did not bother the first pilots (the E Trials) but which triggered a strike by the top pilots who arrived too late in the 5th zone. They threatened not to resume competition. The race management therefore backtracked and removed the race times but above all suppressed the results of the first lap and that in all categories! Imagine the state of mind of Gael Chatagno and Julien Perret who had "stuck" 12 points for one and 1 point for the other to Albert Cabestany during the first round, even though no one had complained. of the current settlement!
    Fortunately in this category the final result will not be affected by this decision, but not sure that it was the same in all the categories which had adapted very well to this new regulation.
    In short Toni Bou did the job and wins this event and we hope not to review such decisions.

The biggest sporting surprise comes from the fact that Adam Raga is not on the podium, ahead of Jaime Busto and Jéroni Fajardo. A poor performance that the TRRS pilot will certainly be keen to repair from tomorrow for the second round.

Good performance for Benoit Bincaz who finished 7th 3 points behind Takahisa Fujinami
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  12. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Good job FIM. Only when they team up with the AMA can they muck it up worse.
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  13. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    So they set a new rule, riders agree to it, but when it doesn't go as planned they go full drama queen. :csm
    Thesolidman1 likes this.
  14. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Last I recall the riders don’t get a chance to disagree with the FIM in advance. Thats why they had the strike.

This sounds a lot like a couple years back when the riders all banded together in a similar way to prevent what they felt was a bad call.
  15. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was so much easier when a rider just had a finishing time to worry about. Now they have four. The first 5 sections the second 5 sections. End of the 2nd loop and the finishing time on the 3rd loop. The FIM must like the new NASCAR rules. Everybody takes a time out at the same time. What ever happened to just ride at your own pace.
  16. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    I wish they would stop experimenting with things this much. I think they are trying to hard to find a way to make it more interesting but they are missing the mark by using the actual events and format as the place to figure that out.

I personally think they would do well to do something a bit more inventive to capture the audience response. A possible example would be to pick a few elements that they want consider bringing into Trials. Now put together some kind of event/show that doesn't affect the trials standings, and mix in the elements that they want to consider for that event/show. My recommendation would be to keep it short and use only one of the elements that you want to validate at a time. You would then be able to evaluate and even possibly survey the people who watch it live as well as to capture it on video and put them online to capture views, likes, comments, etc.

You can then compare the live survey and response the online information and the audience size and participation at each event/show to get a much better idea on how people are responding to the changes.

This of course would have to be in connection with planed events and the more events both world and national you could get this setup for the better the data because you could cross compare the data between countries as well as more global and at least have a much better chance of final adjustments to enhance viewership and attendance by making comparisons in the element changes, comments, views, etc.

I will step off my soapbox now...
    Nodabs and riabma77 like this.
  17. Norman Foley

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Bou and Bristow do the business!

Superstar Spaniard Toni Bou (Repsol Honda) picked up where he left off at the end of 2019 with a spectacular performance at TrialGP France – the opening round of the 2020 Hertz FIM Trial World Championship – staged today at the Alpine ski resort of Isola 2000.

In the TrialGP Women category, Britain’s leading lady Emma Bristow (Sherco) got the defence of her crown off to the best possible start with a demolition of her rivals to stamp her authority on the class.

Following an enforced delay due to COVID-19, the series kicked off with a full-house of classes and 2018 champion Matteo Grattarola (Beta) from Italy emerged as a clear winner in Trial2, home hero Naomi Monnier (Beta) claimed a hard-fought win in Trial2 Women, Spain’s Pau Martinez (Vertigo) topped Trial125 and Gael Chatagno (Electric Motion) from France took an electric-shock win in the TrialE category.

Staged 2000 metres above sea level under a fierce sun, the sections mostly comprised imposing rocks under trees on a super-steep hillside. The dry conditions ensured that grip on the huge boulders was plentiful but loose ground in between meant traction was hard to find.

The toughest hazard for the premier TrialGP class was section nine, plotted along a stream with an under-cut step making for a challenging exit. With the opening lap scrapped for all classes due to time issues, Bou – who’s aiming for his 14th consecutive title – dropped half of his four marks lost on observation here with single dabs on both scored attempts. These, coupled with an additional two time penalties, brought his final total up to six which still gave him a five-mark winning margin over his young compatriot Jaime Busto (Vertigo).

Jeroni Fajardo (Sherco) filled the final podium position on 14 with Adam Raga (TRRS) and Jorge Casales (Gas Gas) completing an all-Spanish top-five ahead of Japan’s Takahisa Fujinami (Repsol Honda).

“After a very strange season because of COVID I was pushing very hard and I’m very happy to start with this victory,” said Bou after recording a record-breaking 113th TrialGP win. “Tomorrow I need to push again.”

Bristow, attempting to secure her seventh TrialGP Women title in a row, parted with just three marks to run out a comfortable winner from the Spanish pairing of Berta Abellan (Vertigo) who lost 10 and Sandra Gomez (TRRS) who ended the day on 19.

“I’m happy to be on the top step today,” said Bristow, who hasn’t lost a World Championship event since the final round of 2017. “It’s been quite an easy Trial so it’s been mentally challenging as well as physically with the high altitude but I was riding well so I’m happy.”

Veteran Grattarola, who lost out on last year’s Trial2 title at the final round, parted with just a single mark on section six on lap two to get his campaign to regain his championship crown off to a flying start.

Next best was France’s Alexandre Ferrer (TRRS) – who was third in 2019 – on seven, three marks clear of Spain’s Pablo Suarez (Montesa). Britain’s Toby Martyn (TRRS) – one of the pre-event favourites – could only manage 11th, 18 marks behind the winner, following an unhappy day in the mountains.

“I feel I was riding perfectly today and it was very important for me to win the first round,” said Grattarola. “It’s been very hectic with a new bike and a new team but all the training is paying off.”

Monnier, who contested just one round in 2019, was all smiles after taking a two-mark win over Italy’s Andrea Rabino (Beta) in Trial2 Women with third-placed Lenna Volpe (TRRS) from France a further six adrift.

“It’s been a good day for me today,” said Monnier, “and I hope it’s the same for tomorrow.”

Martinez, who ended last season in sixth, rose to the occasion today to record a total of 12 marks lost in Trial125 – eight clear of the Czech Republic’s David Fabian (Beta) and nine ahead of Leo Guiraud (Beta).

“I’m feeling really good,” said Martinez. “At first it was difficult and then I improved. I was nervous at the start but if tomorrow is like today it will be perfect.”

The FIM TrialE Cup for electric motorcycles was expected to be a cakewalk for defending champion Albert Cabestany (Gas Gas) but a maximum on section eight proved to be expensive for the veteran Spaniard and handed a six-mark win to Chatagno with his compatriot Julien Perret (Electric Motion) claiming third on 11.

“It was almost perfect for me so a good day,” said Chatagno. “I want to thank all my team for their assistance. It’s really cool.”

TrialGP resumes tomorrow with the second points-scoring day. For regular updates and live results go to the new-look www.trialgp.com website or check out our social media platforms on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram – just search for TrialGP.
  18. SportSawyer

SportSawyer 4RT Herder

Oddometer:
    Day 2 is getting interesting. Busto, Raga, and Bou tied on 31 points as of section 3 on the 3rd lap. Fajardo not far behind on 35 points.
    Huzband and Norman Foley like this.
  19. Norman Foley

Oddometer:
    Higher scores than yesterday!
  20. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Two sections to go and Raga leads by ten points over Bou!
    Huzband likes this.