1. Hey everyone, We’re going to start a weekly email to surface interesting threads in the forums. No worries, you can easily unsubscribe if you don’t find it interesting. If you’re like me, it’s nice to have someone willing to poke around a big community like ours and find the most interesting stuff. Saves time and I hate missing something great. It worked really well when we had someone discovering the best photos for the home page rotation back in the day. And if you have something fascinating to post, maybe this email does everyone some good by getting it noticed. Let us know what you think when you get it. Your feedback will make it better as we go (thread). Thanks! Baldy & rudy1220
    Dismiss Notice

Trials class structure and terminology?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Norman Foley, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna

Oddometer:
    Why so many differences in local class structure around the country? In my area the classes are.... Rookie, Novice, Intermediate, Advanced, Expert. Just confusing to me when lineaway posts that he was 2nd in the NMTA Expert class, and it's a totally different class than Expert in the 3 NY clubs...... Yes I look at their class structure and then understand, but it's definitely not a universal language.
    DyrWolf and dave_d like this.
  2. heffergm

heffergm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Local clubs class structure usually evolves and changes over time to fit the demographic of their riders.
  3. DyrWolf

DyrWolf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just wait till I get the electric motor in my twin shock lol. Even more confusing when vintage A rides sportsman and air cooled never mind I’m just glad people put the effort in it. I will go to the year end meeting and ask for a Saturday event or two next year (hijack)
    Kiharaikido likes this.
  4. Kiharaikido

Kiharaikido Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I second the motion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DyrWolf likes this.
  5. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna

Oddometer:
    I definitely understand what you are saying. I edited the title to include terminology, because my question is as much about the different names regionally for similar classes, as it is about structure.
  6. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Yea, I think Line's Expert class is more like our Novice line...:hide
  7. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    This is always a problem when riding other club events too. I've got a buddy who does a lot of Trials Inc and there class structure uses some of the same terminology, but the hierarchy order is different.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  8. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have ridden our Expert class since 1974. Back then it was the same. Also their was only one line at the Nationals. Somehow your club thinks the AMA has something to do with our sport.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  9. bobbywarner

bobbywarner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is what we use in Minnesota:

https://www.umta.org/pages/classes

We tried to align classes to similar NATC names (Expert, Sportsman and Clubman lines), but we have others with no equivalent in NATC too (classes easier than Clubman for example).
  10. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Don't you think it's about time you moved up?:-)
    RDW920, North ride and Norman Foley like this.
  11. LowPSI

LowPSI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We had a guy in our club who was always trying to change the class names. In the end the some class names got changed but but nothing really changed. Same guys in the same groups with different names. I think every club has a guy like that.
    lineaway and Norman Foley like this.
  12. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    We added our Champ class in 1993 as we had a few guys riding at the Champ level at the Nationals. Of course a few more rode to be considered Champ riders. Around 2011 we added our Master class, but not that we needed the class. We had two riders that were up and coming to become Pro rider`s and certain members wanted a PRO class. The club resisted that we had no Professional riders, but bumped up the level of our top class (Champ) for these two riders. So everyone else got pushed down to Master. It was actually a total flop as those moved down have hardly ridden ever since for various reasons. That is why Garrett is the lone rider at many events, unless one of our old Champs show up.
    Changing club rules for the sake of change can destroy the integrity and long history of the way a club functions that have been passed along for decades. Our peculiar one is our Semi -Expert class. We have dissolved that class at least three times through the years, but it always comes back. I guess everybody likes being half an Expert.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  13. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did ride Novice once, April 1972. I won with 2 points. I took to trials like a Duck to water. You need to come to Lake Fork, we have rocks 2 to three times as tall as the trees. I love to show new people some new Lines. :D
  14. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I have plenty of stuff in my backyard I won't/can't do, no need to travel half around the world to suck there too.

I know I asked once before, but doesn't your club have something like 9 different classes or lines to set up for?
    slicktop and lineaway like this.
  15. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Sure you do! :lol3

Beginner
    Novice
    Amateur
    Intermediate

Sportsman
    Semi-Expert
    Expert
    Master
    Champ

That's NMTA's class structure without Juniors. :thumb
  16. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Dang, that's a lot of classes. Is that so everybody gets a trophy? :D
    2whlrcr, Brewtus and fprintf like this.
  17. fprintf

fprintf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Funny you should say that because I was talking to a few folks at the end of the last trial I watched and someone older/experienced said exactly the same thing just before the results announcements. 74 participants and something like 26 trophies. All these divisions of skill level in NETA then some also by age:

Champ
    Advanced
    Intermediate
    Senior Intermediate
    Senior B
    Sportsman
    Senior C
    Women
    Novice
    Rookie
    Youth A
    Youth B
  18. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:

It's because we have one of the largest clubs in the country. :thumb
    jonnyc21, Huzband and 10K like this.
  19. 10K

10K Trail Runner

Oddometer:
    Fixt
    jonnyc21, Brewtus and NMTrailboss like this.
  20. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    All different skill levels. We never have done age classes.
    jonnyc21 and Brewtus like this.