Trials in Bend

Discussion in 'Trials' started by africanjon, Jul 11, 2018.

1. africanjon

africanjon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any trials areas to ride in Bend OR?
    Spending two weeks there and was thinking of taking the bike.
    Thanks in advance.
  2. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    Here's the Oregon club http://www.observedtrials.com/ They have a forum on their website and a facebook page. They mostly are on the other side of the state but I'm sure there are Trials riders in the Bend/Redmond area.
  3. motobene

motobene Motoing for 46 years

Oddometer:
    Gosh that part of the US is stunningly beautiful!

The nanny government is good at protecting the beauty, but I found it a bit weird :-) Does the government disallow self pumping of fuel at stations?
  4. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    OR used to disallow self pumping, however I believe they have somewhat recently changed that to allow each county to decide on that individually.
  5. africanjon

africanjon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No luck, oh well!
  6. Luke

Luke GPoET&P

Oddometer:
    I'm 90% sure there are no official public trials areas, however if you need a fix here are some options:

China Hat: There are a couple of quarries that are usually open for riding, at least one has some pretty big boulders in it. A couple of the trails cross lava flows. At least one of them has some decent rock ledges.
    Millican: There's about half a dozen 1/4 mile lengths of rocky trail that would be good for a beginner trials rider and that's about it.
    Big Lake: There are a couple of rock crawler type jeep trails. I haven't been there since the trails were built so have no idea how they are on a trials bike. One of the rangers mentioned trials sections years ago, so maybe it's good enough terrain anyway.

Be aware that all of these places require an OHV tag for the bike (from any state) and an operator's safety card. A license plate or moto endorsed DL does not count for these.
    SportSawyer and Brewtus like this.
  7. motobene

motobene Motoing for 46 years

Oddometer:
    That made me laugh, as that was how the US went from the first major drugs prohibition (alcohol), to not. Let states and counties decide. It's why at the AR national I could not have wine with my Italian food in Van Buren, AR. That county chose to be dry. I guess some Oregon counties will decided to retain self-pump prohibition (read: make-work).
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  8. SportSawyer

SportSawyer 4RT Herder

Oddometer:
    The safety card may sound like a giant PITA, that sort of thing usually is. But it can be done online for free. See: http://www.rideatvoregon.org/
  9. Zuber

Zuber Zoob

Oddometer:
    You can legally smoke dope, but you can't pump your own gas. Coincidence? I think not.
    overtone and FASTRacing like this.
  10. Zuber

Zuber Zoob

Oddometer:
  11. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am kind of addicted to riding trials, but the thought of falling from 4 or 5 feet onto a pile of lava rock would make me think twice.
    But maybe the area Zuber recommended would have some logs and dirt to crash on.